Model Railroader Project Layout N Gauge Track Plan

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi All

I remember way back in the mid/late 90's Model Railroader done a project N Gauge layout.  I followed the articles at the time and over the sands of time I've lost the mags.

The layout was either 6x3 or 8x4 (I think it was under the title of layout on a door) and featured an oval, passing loop and a couple of sidings.  To the left of the plan there was a curved bridge over water.

Question is, can anyone remember this and if so do they have a copy of the plan - or even the articles?

Thanks in advance

I have the MRR digital archive, but its search facilities are only so-so 

One layout on a door was the Mohawk Division, a double-track oval in 3'x7', it has a curve into a short bridge over a stream. The top end curve is in a tunnel. (Dec 1993)

That is the only one I can find at the moment.

Adrian

Guest 40-something

Carolina Central ??

Dunno what issues of MR it was in, found the above link (includes track plans) via Google.

That is the very one!!!  Many thanks for that!

I spent ages on Google Images last night trying to find it!

Guest 40-something

Definitely sounds like the Carolina Central. I think I still have the articles as I built a version of it for dad when he got back into model railways. Articles would have been 96-97 time.

Hope this helps

Alastair

HI Alastair 

I would like to buy those issues off you if you still have them and are willing to part with them?

HI Alastair 

I would like to buy those issues off you if you still have them and are willing to part with them?

I'd rather keep them (if I haven't chucked them), but can scan the relevant articles and email them to you. Will contact you later off-list to discuss further.

Regards

Alastair

Classic design.

A loop with a passing track/staging on the back side and switching location on the front.  There have been several variations of that concept published in MR over the years.

Joe

I have sent you a private message about sending you scanned copies of the articles.

I built a version of the Carolina Central relocated to Montana about 10 yrs ago. It was for my dad to get him back into model railways after a major illness. It was sort of a payback for the model railways he built for me as a kid. My wife always points out it is the only layout that I have actually finished. I'll see if I can dig out a few photos.

Yes it is a good design and my dad still has the layout. He extended it using the interchange track at the bottom RH corner. If I built it again, the only change I might make would be whether to keep the kickback siding in the yard which is tricky to switch - however many would see this as a good thing. Extra staging tracks would be good but would really need a longer and wider layout. Will see if I can dig out some pics.

• 4 weeks later...

Did Marty design this?

It doesn't look forced like some small designs published in MR in the past...

Nice design.

Best Pete

Thanks,

"Design" is perhaps far too grandiose a term...but yes, I developed the track plan, built the layout, photographed it in tedious step-by-step fashion, and wrote the articles.

Marty

Yes it is a good design and my dad still has the layout. He extended it using the interchange track at the bottom RH corner. If I built it again, the only change I might make would be whether to keep the kickback siding in the yard which is tricky to switch - however many would see this as a good thing. Extra staging tracks would be good but would really need a longer and wider layout. Will see if I can dig out some pics.

The latest edition of the N scale book from Kalmbach includes a new project layout, called the Androscoggin Central, that addresses a lot of those issues. Unlike the CC, this layout was all new for the book and wasn't featured in MR. Although it's blurbed on the cover as a "4 x 8" the layout is actually a little smaller than that and features a live interchange junction between two railroads, a larger staging yard, and a single large industry with several sidings.  

Marty

Archived