Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

No pics from inside the yard but todays trip out was a route refresh in burton in Trent for an ECS move I’ve got next week

IMG_7599.jpeg.43e3fbec595d4bcefbc72f51df4a33c1.jpeg

next week seems to be Stoke diverts with stone trains and intermodals, will have to check the diagrams when they come out tomorrow

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

You do get the jobs Jim, you really do, but hey ho, it's all down to your brilliant route and traction knowledge - not to say your willingness to do a good job, and not just the bare minimum.  If all drivers were like you, there would be a lot less problems on the modern railway.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

We must have just passed each other on the station as I had just brought in an empty stock from International into platform 4 as I also had one of those phone calls "Could I work a rest day" something to do with a certain sporting event in Germany.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Possession train today, started in knutsford station 

IMG_7909.jpeg

then moved along to plumley signal box, the exit boards were a bit further along but had i sat there I would have fouled a public footpath so I had to keep it clear 

IMG_7910.jpeg

went for a Quick Look in the box while there, passed the box hundreds of times but never been in there!

it used to control a lot more than it does now, hence the white levers, there was a crossover nearer to northwich that went toward the old Octel sidings which in turn had a ground frame released from the box (brown/blue lever)

IMG_7911.jpeg

IMG_7912.jpeg

This fascinated me, the old adage ‘if it ain’t broke don’t try and fix it’, a CRT screen and built in keyboard train describer on the Greenbank Box side of the panel, that side is TCB whereas the other side is Mobberley box which is absolute block, that uses normal block instruments 

IMG_7913.jpeg

And yes I was allowed to be sat just past the signal (within the possesion) 

IMG_7914.jpeg

And it was away to bescot 

IMG_7916.jpeg

IMG_7917.jpeg

IMG_7924.jpeg

the shunter told me there were a couple of locos coming in for fuel so I hung about, walked back to put my bags in the cabin, you may remember I posted some pics of the Shunter’s garden they are cultivating, it stated to bloom now and looking very nice 

IMG_7918.jpeg

IMG_7919.jpeg

I walked back and waited for the locos to arrive and sure enough 50007/50049 appeared along the goods 

IMG_7920.jpeg

IMG_7922.jpeg

into the yard 

IMG_7926.jpeg

IMG_7928.jpeg

@Accurascale Fran just saying….

IMG_7930.jpeg

I went down to Tame Bridge to see them head through on their way back to Kidderminster, they are heading off to Eastleigh tomorrow to be repainted into large loco livery 

IMG_7935.jpeg

IMG_7936.jpeg

nice little job tomorrow, Oxley to Carlisle with 807002 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 18

Hi

The two 50's went past where I live in Cornwall on their way to & return from Penzance on their Railtour......

Lovely to hear them go by & they looked very smart.

In a way I shall be sorry that they are being repainted as although in my opinion Large Logo suits the '50's I think the GBRF livery suits them even better.....

Thanks Jim for your informative & interesting thread that I really look forward to reading & viewing every day......

Cheers Bill 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I was distracted watching the video by the four people on the platform who took absolutely no notice of the passing locos.

Interesting that the starter stayed green. Is it in fact a manual signal?

Jonathan

I think it is all in the timing of the video and the signal will have replaced to red just after the clip finished.

Definitely not a ‘manual’ signal in the sense of staying off until the signaller replaces it.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I was distracted watching the video by the four people on the platform who took absolutely no notice of the passing locos.

Interesting that the starter stayed green. Is it in fact a manual signal?

Jonathan

The signal is plated as an automatic.

It has simple overlap track circuiting. 

The track circuit approaching the signal extends past it (200yds most likely)   so it will not return  to danger until the locos hit the next track circuit along. 

However the signal next in rear will be at danger. 

A more complex installation has a track circuit just ahead of the signal and the signal will return to danger almost immediately 

The Cross City North has a similar arrangement to that seen here. 

It can look a bit odd  if your train fails and the signal just behind it is still green.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SM42 said:

The signal is plated as an automatic.

Couldn’t remember (and not in a position to check for a few days) if Walsall resignalling still had Auto plates or if we had gone to all plated as non passable by that stage.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Oxley to Carlisle with an 807 heading to Darlington 

IMG_7937.jpeg

changing ends in wolves 

IMG_7938.jpeg

IMG_7939.jpeg

Stopped in Stafford 

IMG_7940.jpeg

And preston

IMG_7941.jpeg

Into carlisle