Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

There's probably a train or two about so they are keeping you out of the way in that special way that only planners can  

the train leaves bescot at 17:30ish and takes 8 hours to get to site, it’s a slow route and as you say it’s to get me out of the way while other stuff passes, the change ends at Neasden is on the mainline so that’s going to be in the way of the line to Marylebone and the met to start with then it’s a sit in West Ruislip to let stuff pass again before heading to site, I would have thought it easier to run later, normally chiltern possessions follow the last southbound passenger and wait at Bicester south for the ECS to go from Oxford to Aylesbury before pretty much having the line to itself apart from a couple of moor st services

I even asked about it running onto the greenford single line and waiting there but there is a tunnel segment train due through around that time, even asked about running toward Park Royal on the truncated bit of line and waiting there but I do t know if that is possible any more 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 15/07/2024 at 10:55, big jim said:

the train leaves bescot at 17:30ish and takes 8 hours to get to site, it’s a slow route and as you say it’s to get me out of the way while other stuff passes, the change ends at Neasden is on the mainline so that’s going to be in the way of the line to Marylebone and the met to start with then it’s a sit in West Ruislip to let stuff pass again before heading to site, I would have thought it easier to run later, normally chiltern possessions follow the last southbound passenger and wait at Bicester south for the ECS to go from Oxford to Aylesbury before pretty much having the line to itself apart from a couple of moor st services

I even asked about it running onto the greenford single line and waiting there but there is a tunnel segment train due through around that time, even asked about running toward Park Royal on the truncated bit of line and waiting there but I do t know if that is possible any more 

Still traffic to Park Royal Marcon @big jim 6V51 and 6M51 in and  out today. That's as far as it goes AFAIK the line towards OC was chained with a sleeper and severed after it passed under the Victoria Road bridge (and at OOC of course)

Cheers

Guy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Because of a diagramming issue ive not been able to get home so am in a hotel in Acton for the day to get my rest before I head to Manchester from Euston later this evening for my booked job, intermodal to Nuneaton! 

never a dull moment 

Do you ever get home to see your family, Jim - you seem to spend your life in hotels - either expected or unexpected.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 45156 said:

Do you ever get home to see your family, Jim - you seem to spend your life in hotels - either expected or unexpected.

I’m home more than ever now I’ve moved depot to be fair and a lot of the hotel jobs are at my suggestion when things change at the last minute, as last night was

i also use it to my advantage at times as I’ve had a few jobs where I’ve been asked to stay away, if they can book me a family room where there are local attractions etc my wife and lad come with me, I go to work and they go off and do something for the day until I get back 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Glad to see your thread is still going strong mate not dipped in for a couple of years some cracking shots as ever

2 hours ago, big jim said:

next week we’re off to Gt Yarmouth (hemsby) for the week, looking forward to it as other than driving a train to Lowestoft a few times  never been there for pleasure, the roller coaster in the pleasure beach looks interesting, will have to see if I can fit on it! 

The Hippodrome Theatre in GY was on telly a week or so back (think it was either Flog It or Bargain Hunt) looked quite interesting and worth a visit. Apparently the water system still works.

And you could visit the 100th Bomb Group museum at Thorpe Abbotts (the actual wartime airfield where Masters of the Air is set). Its near Diss.

Langham Dome further west along the coast is also very unusual and a very good museum.

Just doing my bit for local tourism! Hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide to do Jim!

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are looking for something else to do on Thursday 25th July then Caistor Road Stadium has Bangers, Junior Micra Stock Cars and National Saloon Stock Cars racing  starting at 7.30pm.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, big jim said:

that’s me for 2 weeks now, going away, phone is off, work iPad is at home, uniform in the washing basket and going to have a couple of weeks of doing nothing work related! 

Good for you Jim. Enjoy your holiday with the family. Though I will admit (like a lot of others on RMweb I suspect), I'll start to suffer 'withdrawal symptoms' soon from not reading your 'daily log' of life on today's railway.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

On 19/07/2024 at 18:47, big jim said:

Nice little bonus today, found out on my way to small heath that the stone train wasn’t departing back to crewe as per my diagram so I only needed to discharge it and job done 

I message the other driver to say I was on my way and he rang me back saying his diagram said to take to small heath and discharge so I wasn’t needed, never turned around so quick in my life, also the first time ever I’ve got off at Sandwell and Dudley!

voyager 

IMG_8366.jpeg

350 back to wolves and onward to creee from there 

IMG_8367.jpeg

possession tomorrow night near Coventry then off for 2 weeks but I’ve swapped Mondays leave for a day in September that I couldn’t get off for my god daughters wedding, next week we’re off to Gt Yarmouth (hemsby) for the week, looking forward to it as other than driving a train to Lowestoft a few times  never been there for pleasure, the roller coaster in the pleasure beach looks interesting, will have to see if I can fit on it! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_Coaster_(Great_Yarmouth_Pleasure_Beach)

Sandwell and Dudley… The beginning and start of so many adventures to various parts of the compass 😀(including a very nice illicit day to Derby and several holsterys when technically I should have been at Dudley tech😀

I’ve also had some interesting traction to and from there,  my Dad has bit of a collectors item as he’s had a 33 there on his evening commute from that well know Southern Region spot known as Wolverhampton. 😜

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, iands said:

Though I will admit (like a lot of others on RMweb I suspect), I'll start to suffer 'withdrawal symptoms' soon from not reading your 'daily log' of life on today's railway.

Don’t worry I’ll get some railway related pics on holiday no doubt! 

funny enough there was a job at north walshingham on the vacancy list this week, had it been a night time sit on possession I’d have offered to do it so I could have had a car with air con and a fuel card to get to and from the holiday, walshingham is only about 20 miles away from where we will be staying 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

That's a proper classic woodie - not all that fast by today's standards, but I do prefer wooden roller coasters to the steel ones.  Not many left with manual braking now.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to see you're on a 'Busman's Holiday' and finding lots of trains!
Have you explored Yarmouth docks for any surviving remnants of the railways or a hidden tram-engine survivor?

03 leaves the Birds Eye factory at Great Yarmouth

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Pleased to see you're on a 'Busman's Holiday' and finding lots of trains!
Have you explored Yarmouth docks for any surviving remnants of the railways or a hidden tram-engine survivor?

only went to the tourist side of GY really, we did get the open top bus from hemsby to there one day too and that crossed the old GY to Walsham line on overbridges a few times at the north end of Yarmouth and again at a flat crossing near California, the line from what I’ve seen has very little remaining viewable infrastructure, there is one embankment just south of hembsy that you can only really notice from a minor road parallel with the main road, even on google maps the trackbed disappears into fields without trace, it wasn’t until I looked at railmaponline that I realised the road we used north of hemsby toward wroxham (A149) was the old trackbed for a considerable distance between a place called Bastwick and Stalham 

IMG_8538.jpeg.9c38e95adf0e3db4e2732e20a0433334.jpeg

this morning we did pop to a car boot in Yarmouth and grabbed a maccy d breakfast which was right next to the station and I could see the bow bridge that took the line toward the quay tramway but I didn’t bother with pics 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Have a look at Ashville on YouTube. They are reinstating a set of sidings on the Colnbrook branch. Apparently in a couple of weeks time GBRF are meant to test the siding's. Pity it could not be you doing the tests then we could have you on YT as well.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, big jim said:

It’s a big balloon loop, fully signalled and track circuited so more than one train can go out at once, there were 4 running at one point! 

3 hours ago, big jim said:

the signal cabin was a wonder of relays and wiring that the Big railway would be proud of

Unless there’s another miniature railway in Hemsby, i know the guy who did the signalling for that, probably about 40 to 45 years ago.  He was a BR signalling trainee a few years behind me and now retired.  Knowing him, it would have been done properly, so the Big Railway could have been proud of it.

Paul.

• Like 3