Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, big jim said:

Back to it tomorrow (unfortunately) then a trip up to Saltcoats at the end of the job for a couple of days away 

Oh memories Jim.  My dad and I played in the band at Saltcoats Labour club back in the early 1970s - and I also worked as bar staff in the same venue for quite a few months - it meant that my dad could get well oiled while I drove - and as  pro musician he certainly knew how to drink.  Being well pre smoking ban, I used to come home with my cllothes reeking of smoke.

• Like 5

On 29/04/2024 at 17:48, big jim said:

And onto the bridge to wait for the taxi who in all fairness was there in 10 minutes, very good considering the location!

Hi,

I've just started installing Dapol  N Gaige OHLE masts on my WCML layout.

These pics are just what I needed to get a good idea of the spacing between the opposite 'short' and 'long' arms.

I always make the mistake on my infrequent trips back to the UK of taking photo's of interesting things rather than the mundane stuff.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Premium

Enjoy your holiday and turn the work phone off to stop the "can you just's". Thank you for all the information and entertainment you give your readers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/05/2024 at 18:29, big jim said:

Went to Smallwood vintage rally today, glad I did for the £15 entry fee it was a really good day out, loads more than I thought would be there, not been to a vintage rally for a good 25 years easily, I’ve put lots of the pics up in various other threads (old cars, modern classics, agricultural machinery and military threads etc) but these are a few I can’t find threads for, plus some duplicates for completeness 

IMG_6569.jpeg

IMG_6574.jpeg

IMG_6580.jpeg

IMG_6587.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

IMG_6601.jpeg

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6602.jpeg

IMG_6605.jpeg

IMG_6604.jpeg

IMG_6603.jpeg

IMG_6608.jpeg

This was fun, monster truck show 

IMG_6619.jpeg

IMG_6620.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg

IMG_6760.jpeg

IMG_6765.jpeg

IMG_6773.jpeg

IMG_6772.jpeg

IMG_6779.jpeg

IMG_6783.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg

Absolutely love that tractor pulling a great spectacle especially when one of those engines let’s go wow 🤩 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

I did spot you in the bridge taking the pic 

It was an about-turn after a day of counting people on stepladders from the Mersey Express. I was practising and perfected my royal wave, and even had a track worker at Small Heath bow in return... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Have the 805’s started in passenger service ?

Voyagers havent got long left then ?

yes the voyagers started on Sunday from Holyhead, seem to have been quite well recieved by the travelling public too

as an aside I was going to stay on the sleeper this morning to london Euston then pass back to crewe as I was in no rush to get home then I remembered I was parked in a. Car park that started charging at 08:00 so I needed to be back before then, glad I didn’t stay on as there appears to have been an ‘incident’, unfortunately it looks like a fatality, blocking all lines into and out of Euston and as I type this at 08:50 the sleeper hasn’t yet reached london running about 2 hours late from Watford Jn 

IMG_7081.jpeg.18ef590d03824120f790752ab11d6904.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Wasn't me on the Willesden - New Bilton Quarry job Jim but it was a Rugby man - I'm on it tonight though, book on 21.10, pass down to London to bring 6R95 back up to Rugby in the morning 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

So they are no longer teenagers!

None of us are, we try to act like youngsters but our knees, backs and eyes tend to remind us we’re not as youthful anymore 

6 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The Pet Shop Pensioners

Neil tennant is 69 years old!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Couple of interesting jobs next week, only in for 2 days 

Sunday is peak forest to bescot with the rail milling machine transit move 

Monday is a bit different, Doncaster to oxley with an 805 but I’m going via the ECML to Peterborough then back across to Leicester via melton Mowbray which I’ve got a route conductor for then it’s Leicester to Stafford and back to oxley!

Then that’s me done for the week unless I do a couple of rest days 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, big jim said:

Monday is a bit different,

Starting from Hitachi.  A new one, or an early one returned for fitting out and/or livery vinyls.

Paul.