Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Glad to see the 175s seem to be still in use. Probably on the day I was travelling the strikes were disrupting diagrams and anything available was being used.

Jonathan

Indeed  the loco hauled working (4 car plus cl67) was replaced the other afternoon  with a 156 - it was rammed leaving Hereford northwards.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

RM5 is indeed the first production Routemaster, as 1-4 were prototypes. The Internet says she's still got an AEC engine too (a lot of them had modern Scania ones fitted for better economy), so presumably sounded good!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I did jokingly ask "Where's Big jim when you need him?"

In a hire car it seems

Andy

taxi tonight! 

just had a blow out in the M6 though, think he ran over something and it’s ripped the inner tyre on the rear axle of the transit we’re in apart, managed to get off the motorway thanks to the good tyre  and continued the journey in another taxi! 

never a dull moment 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, big jim said:

I will be learning it at some point soon hopefully to fill the missing gap around Manchester/stockport 

If end up on the one due out of Guide Bridge Loop at 14.-something look out for an old bloke with a camera at Hudson's bridge between Marple North Tunnel and the station, it's probably me. 

• Like 1

The Scotrail push pull set brought back the memories however I only recall one first class coach per set despite on a daily basis great numbers of the Scottish legal profession travelling daily to court in Glasgow or Edinburgh.    

Malcolm

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, dunwurken said:

The Scotrail push pull set brought back the memories however I only recall one first class coach per set despite on a daily basis great numbers of the Scottish legal profession travelling daily to court in Glasgow or Edinburgh.    

Malcolm

Yes, only one, and in latter days only half of it I recall.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Yes, only one, and in latter days only half of it I recall.

Paul.

Given that it was the legal profession it was probably all they needed, as most of them were travelling second class and putting in for first class on their expenses.🙂

Edited by Tankerman
corrected the grammar.
  • Funny 2

On 04/02/2023 at 08:53, TheSignalEngineer said:

If end up on the one due out of Guide Bridge Loop at 14.-something look out for an old bloke with a camera at Hudson's bridge between Marple North Tunnel and the station, it's probably me. 

I usually manage  to video it at Hyde North about 15-40, Last week the earlier  empty Train one going to Cement Works Manchester , every empty wagon was very professionally Graffitied the train was very impressive bit strange every wagon was painted 

• Like 1