Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

My job is covered tomorrow as my trainee is being passed out so I’ve got a class 69 move from Doncaster to longport instead all being well

Hopefully via Uttoxeter and the North Staffs line!

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Do you often have to stop and check phones?

guessing the Derby telecom techs were busy elsewhere?

First time I’ve had to do it, thought it unusual as it was at a working open to public crossing, was half expecting the barriers to time out and raise as we were stood there! 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

First time I’ve had to do it, thought it unusual as it was at a working open to public crossing, was half expecting the barriers to time out and raise as we were stood there! 

What would happen in that case? Can it be reactivated remotely by the signaller? Or is it automatic and reliant on the detector however far back? 

48 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

What would happen in that case? Can it be reactivated remotely by the signaller? Or is it automatic and reliant on the detector however far back? 

Hi,

It looks like an AHB, so works completely automatically without any form of signaller intervention, if it’s got Treadles for strike in (I think they all do, but not at my laptop to find the standard!), it will reactivate when a wheel depress the treadle again (assuming there are wheels in the vicinity of the treadles). In the case of the Jim’s image, the crossing will also re-activate when he drives it forward onto the ‘island’ track circuit over the crossing itself.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

I have had it happen on a job where we were propelling a crane over an open crossing and as it took so long for us to reach it at 2mph after it had started it’s sequence it timed out and the crossing lights went out just as we entered the crossing, thankfully there was nothing about traffic wise but it was certainly an ‘oh crap’ moment, normally it would be under local control by a man on the ground but the nature of the work meant it didn’t have to be 

Edited by big jim
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 08221 said:

Hopefully via Uttoxeter and the North Staffs line!

@08221

here you go, might be pushing it a bit light wise for photos by uttoxeter although I am going to try and get a way a bit earlier with it 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:15358/2022-12-20/detailed

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, big jim said:

@08221

here you go, might be pushing it a bit light wise for photos by uttoxeter although I am going to try and get a way a bit earlier with it 

Thanks Jim!

I'll be at the station to get the best change of a photo/video if its too gloomy!

2 minutes ago, big jim said:

Fa

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, big jim said:

IMG_8539.HEIC

Interesting ‘junk’ in the foreground.  Looks very much like a (G)WR gate wheel.  I wonder where it came from and how long it’s been there.

Paul.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2022 at 19:46, 5BarVT said:

Interesting ‘junk’ in the foreground.  Looks very much like a (G)WR gate wheel.  I wonder where it came from and how long it’s been there.

Paul.

A very long time. It belongs to Birmingham Railway Museum or Tyseley Locomiotive Works or whatever they call themselves these days. From what i remember many years ago some of the people involved wanted to have a working crossing within the depot. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2022 at 19:46, 5BarVT said:

Interesting ‘junk’ in the foreground.  Looks very much like a (G)WR gate wheel.

And I think that if you scout around in the long grass to the left of it there is still a set of four crossing gates rotting away in the undergrowth.  I suspect they have been there for about 40 years and may have come from one of our renewals at Hartlebury or Blakedown. There are also some Western style crank frame legs.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I had that they were from Hartlebury in my head too 

One of my design checking jobs IIRC. Barriers, colour lights and switch panel in lieu of frame in c1875 box, installed December 1982. Went on a saloon tour there during the installation. If they didn't dissolve into the aether during the meltdown there may still be a couple of my pictures on here somewhere.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2