Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, big jim said:

008 onward will have dellners and an extra jumper socket, Bachmann will have their work cut out and it’s going to cost me a fortune in models!

I was wondering if Bachmann were sponsoring these liveries.

😁

Even the “House” orange ones are different, 001 has the flags, and GBRailfreight wording below the blue cab stripes like 003.. But 001s stripes are higher on the cab side than 003… yet 006 has the GBRailfreight wording above the blue stripe.

69006 is the only Crewe one on the list.. I bet thats the one that doesnt get tooled !

Edited by adb968008

11 hours ago, big jim said:

funnily enough I’ve just got the ISIHAH treasury on audible, 3 volumes, each with 18 hours worth of classic ‘humph’ chaired shows, well worth a listen 

it has my favourite ‘one song to the tune of another’ - ‘girlfriend in a coma’ to the tune of  ‘tiptoe through the tulips’  absolutely brilliant 

My best bit is Alan Coren talking about supermarkets. “I like Tescos Coop Aldi etc they keep the riff raff out of Waitrose”

Keith

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Amnesiac said:

Damn shame to miss that this morning! I was passing on 2C00/06:07 Coventry - New St so can’t have missed it by much, better luck next time! 

you missed it literally by minutes as you departed 2mins late and i couldn't get into the platform to get a fresh brew 😉

36 minutes ago, CovDriver said:

you missed it literally by minutes as you departed 2mins late and i couldn't get into the platform to get a fresh brew 😉

I was only passing so not my fault, but any excuse to not have to go to Redditch 😂

9 hours ago, big jim said:

indeed, here are some pics from the driver who got off there 

F97E9C32-370A-4C86-890A-A353FC326E4B.jpeg.42d8efcd0c68c0cdbe53cfaf402033d2.jpeg

0270EA25-B7B2-437C-BC31-ECD3B759145E.jpeg.8258f0f71e5ed4ca756562fe7d9af56c.jpeg

Looks like my job today is a runner, 37418 to derby, it’s currently en route to bescot to then go to bury in the east lancs railway to collect some wagons 

And there is a video on YouTube of the departure from Longport.

Keith

I recall bringing the empty Washwood Hth to Peak Forest orange RMC hoppers back from Derby via Stoke and Cheadle Hulme around 1990 with 2 x 37/5 after an HST hit a cow and closed the line at Wingfield. Derby Control produced a shunter behind the station very quickly to run me round for a southbound departure.

Around the same time 37901 ex works in Railfreight in red stripe after the rebuild/conversion working the Tunstead to Margam lime CBAs attracted a bit of attention from the spotters at Derby.

Regular 37/4 diagrams at Buxton in those days were the Peak Forest to Leeds stone opens & Earles to Dewsbury cement with around 20 PCAs…seem to recall 411,414 & 425 as regular power for them. A 37/4 was regular on the Peak Forest banker turn too.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, big jim said:

Never noticed until I coupled it up to the other loco the difference in height between the couplings on an ex schenker 66 with buckeye and standard 66

Me neither and I've coupled enough together over the years! Apparently the ex Europe 66s have the hook at a different height too. Whether it's the same as the DB ones I don't know.

Jo

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Me neither and I've coupled enough together over the years! Apparently the ex Europe 66s have the hook at a different height too. Whether it's the same as the DB ones I don't know.

Jo

there was a euro one on the back and I didn’t notice a difference, anyone checked the hattons 66 is correct!!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, big jim said:

there was a euro one on the back and I didn’t notice a difference, anyone checked the hattons 66 is correct!!

Hmmm - intriguing.

Looking at other rolling stock (wagons as well as locos - 08/37/47/50/59/60/68/70 for instance) , the hook looks level with the buffers, so it would suggest that the "standard" 66 is low......

(The hook on a Bachmann FL 66 is level with the buffers not near a Hattons one to check)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1