Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

I doubt pre-setting a route is allowed (unless things have changed drastically) back in the '60s and '70s relay and other interlockings were specifically designed to prevent routes being preset.  So either the Signalman(ler) is on the ball or an automatic system is in use

I think Stenson is now ARSe since Derby PSB has been abolished - as soon as the tail cleared the track, ARS set the next route.

S-ARS is it's more 'polite' name which has the timetable uploaded to the computer system and regulates the trains as per the timetable. If one or another train is running late, it calculates (or should do) which will impact less on the services and then give a proceed aspect to the favourable train. Once the train has cleared the track circuit and the 'route' has died out behind it, within seconds the computer pulls off for the next one. The compiter can pull off automatically quicker than the signaller can manually clicking the entry and exit signals. Clever system when it works correctly.

• RMweb Gold

The compiter can pull off automatically quicker than the signaller can manually clicking the entry and exit signals.

Is that so? If several sets of points at a complex junction need to move for a new route, will the computer move those unaffected by the passing train first, or will it do them all together (subject to interlocking) once the train is clear? When I worked an NX panel, it was fairly common practice in this situation to move all the free points to their new positions manually (using the individual point switches) so that only those locked by the passing train would need to move once it was possible to call the new route. In such cases, I would argue that a computer is certainly no quicker than a human and possibly slower.

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium

Is that so? If several sets of points at a complex junction need to move for a new route, will the computer move those unaffected by the passing train first, or will it do them all together (subject to interlocking) once the train is clear? When I worked an NX panel, it was fairly common practice in this situation to move all the free points to their new positions manually (using the individual point switches) so that only those locked by the passing train would need to move once it was possible to call the new route. In such cases, I would argue that a computer is certainly no quicker than a human and possibly slower.

Going by what is stated in post #5376 the area is now controlled from the ROC at Derby rather than an NX panel in the old(?) signal box, so ARS might actually be that bit quicker than the signaller setting 'free' points manually (using the tracker-ball), but I get the point you are trying to make.

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't save much pre-setting points, when the route is set, all points will be called at the same time and then proved before the signal clears. Whether some are already in position or not will only matter if all points are already set and none need to change.

Anyway - this is Jims thread and we are wandering off on a tangent.

Today is a revision day for me so at lunch I nipped out to see Jim aboard 66702 working the 4E34 So’ton to Donny Iport container service. Cheers to either Jim or the other crew member for the tones!

post-21664-0-58327200-1547131878_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

After spending 12 hrs on a ballast on it you would he d three litres of white lightning!

I remember reading the plaque but can't really remember what it said. Mind over eight years now since I worked on it

• RMweb Premium

After spending 12 hrs on a ballast on it you would he d three litres of white lightning!

I remember reading the plaque but can't really remember what it said. Mind over eight years now since I worked on it

Here its is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5811519054/in/photolist-2ag5dm4-acrurC-9Rxy9o-9Zukmi-comY1L-q4T1SG-fx3V9k-crZXas-e41QDj-oPKjMR-N8PgKt-Ne2qdH

Cheers,

Mick