Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Some from today, banbury to bescot with 10 auto hoppers top and tailed by a pair of 60s

Parked up in the cattle sidings

9B6BE09B-A0B6-4D83-A20E-00B76871F749.jpg

F9764933-E22B-4D71-A995-C370AD5B248A.jpg

Into the neck to change ends

FD50FA3B-9E08-45A4-8400-3295F471B863.jpg

And off to bescot

On arrival, had to change the points so grabbed a pic

66F4F974-20C3-40D3-937F-1B59AAAEA514.jpg

Chopped the locos off

1E2C4E69-D500-4C52-995B-1BBB287C3471.jpg

And moved them over to the down side

7806AE61-CCAD-49B2-B12C-D7166FF02B99.jpg

Over the hump

CA8FAC6C-94D7-4AFC-ACA8-C5C2C95D5356.jpg

And split them back off, the lead one is going to carlisle tomorrow with a class 70, ive got to go back to bescot to collect it tomorrow

1539DF1D-AD2B-4C9F-9FA2-D26C95525FE1.jpg

Hi Jim,

nice photos and very diplomatic not to mention that the train should not have been there at all! Dropped the train down to BS11 at Astrop and rang the PICOP to cheerfully tell thim that the train would be late as it was stuck behind a string of trains waiting to enter the late running Aynho-Oxford possession.

'Train, what train? I have not got any trains, the Marylebone patch has to be wheels free for the signalling commisioning, I'm not even allowed to put a trolley on the line let alone a train.'

'Well I can assure you I have a train at Astrop which is shown in TRUST and the notices as being for Aylesbury'

'Its not a train of Autoballasters is it?'

He said a note of suspicion and weariness entering his voice. He then used a few naughty words to describe planners who cancel a job but forget to cancel the train!

Good job it was short and top and tailed.

The night ended on a sombre note. I wondered why they where in no hurry to have the last of their trains into the Aynho-Oxford occupation when I found out that the delay was caused by one of their engineering supervisors dying that night. Sympathy and thoughts with his family.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Apart from the change of gradient one of the reasons why one train can 'get away' from another on the down at Fenny are the restrictive signal controls. They are designed to provide a high level of protection for a move crossing over at the south end. You have to have OL3167 (with the feathers) and OL3165 at danger as the points are in the overlap of OL3167. Placing OL3165 to danger also places OL3163 to red and not a single yellow as you might expect. OL3163 is then approach controlled until OL3165 shows a proceed aspect. The system though is not sophisticated enough to detect if OL3165 is showing a red because the crossover is reversed or because there is a train on the down ahead of it. The end result is that if two trains are following one another OL3163 will stay at red until the first train has cleared the overlap of OL3167 unless the second train is really hammering along and is nearly at a stand at OL3163.

• RMweb Premium

The night ended on a sombre note. I wondered why they where in no hurry to have the last of their trains into the Aynho-Oxford occupation when I found out that the delay was caused by one of their engineering supervisors dying that night. Sympathy and thoughts with his family.

A guy known as 'yankee Dave' aka Dave Kernow. Been on a couple of his sites probably 17 years ago. He was a right character.

Talking to a colleague last night, he was about 60, that's what doing 30 odd years of nights does to you.

RIP fella.

• RMweb Premium

A guy known as 'yankee Dave' aka Dave Kernow. Been on a couple of his sites probably 17 years ago. He was a right character.

Talking to a colleague last night, he was about 60, that's what doing 30 odd years of nights does to you.

RIP fella.

So sad. Been there back in the early 80's though, my Father in Law to be, Ernie Wines, went in a similar way albeit slightly younger. He was, I believe, S&T (as it was then) living in Frome but covering either Bristol or Westbury. My sincerest sympathy to the family.

Edited by Richard E

Saw the doubleheaded 37,s pass on the camera at Euxton go well nice sound as well anybody know were they were going?

I think the DRS double headed 37's were in charge of a 4 day Pathfinder rail tour around of Scotland which started on Friday 25th September Exeter St Davids to Carlisle, Carlisle to Inverness (day one).  Monday (day 4) was Inverness to Carlisle and then Carlisle to Exeter St Davids.  I think the Railtour was "The Autumn Chieftain".  I might be wrong, I am no expert!

http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the intention to use class 60s on the Prestwick tanks from now on or is it simply a stop gap while the 56 we have in Scotland is working the engineers train?

Not a clue as im not involved but id hazard a guess they will use 60s as the loaded train is fairly weighty compared to say the sinfins

• RMweb Premium

I cant say i knew him, there are a few regular ES's i deal with in that area and i did wonder if it was someone i knew

To be honest, I doubt he got up your operational territory very often Jim.

Just another small snippet I heard at work last night.

Its abit of an eye opener, transpires he was only 49 and was due to come over to our side to our Plymouth office from contracting to take up a role in our renewals works.

He was a Redruth man. You never know what's around the corner.

Such a shame.

Not a clue as im not involved but id hazard a guess they will use 60s as the loaded train is fairly weighty compared to say the sinfins

I think the 60 have come to Scotland as it will be nesessary for 2 Colas loco's up here now one to do the Prestwick and Sinfin tanks and the other one will be required for the daily Dalston tanks. I doubt if one loco is enough. Plus all the engineers traffic that is Colas operated now as well although this was a bad weekend due to a rdt train derailing in Dundee trapping the 56 on the train on Monday morning.

Bruce

70805 made its debut on the logs today, took me by surprise and made a nice change from the Class 60 haulage that's been running since April, Colas have indulged us on these workings over the past few years with 47s, 56s, 60s, 66s and now 70s (and a few double and triple headers as an extra bonus). 

post-17870-0-02705600-1443645255_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

been instructing on 37s, did a run to barrow hill, had to wait at broadholme loop for one to come off the matlock branch

DSCF1253.jpg

and into barrow hill

DSCF1255.jpg

thats yer lot, too busy instructing for any more pics

• Like 19