Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

I know it's exaggerated by the telephoto lens, but the track under the VTEC 225 DVT and first coach looks really ropey, with some serious attention needed to the top and line.

I wonder if there's a slight switchback in there that exaggerates it as well?

Cheers,

Mick

"GBRf 66 heading north, VTEC service heading south" Looks like you may have been photobombed by a Colas 60 in this pic?

Possibly a stupid question but presumably when you are held at a signal or in a loop and leave the loco to take the pics the signalman gives you an idea of how long you will be waiting and you don't find yourself legging it back to the loco because the signal has changed?

Edited by Midnight-Freight

• RMweb Gold

actually i was photobombed by 60002 that i left there the day before

i only take my pics when i know ive got time to do it, (and of course when its safe to do so), rotherham for example, if the signal for the mainline from sheffield is showing a green i know i'm not going anywhere any time soon so have time for pics and to get myself into position to photograph whatever is coming from that direction

othertimes a quick look at the schedule will tell you if your in a loop for any length of time so you know roughly when to get ready to go however a lot of the time route knowledge comes into play, sometimes its actually quicker in the long run to wait for the signal controlling the exit from a loop to change from a yellow to green so you can get upto speed on the mainline quicker, elford loop for example, if you leave on a single yellow the next signal is a fair distance away and out of sight so you have to crawl up to it incase its still 'on', if you wait for the exit signal to go green you know the next signal will be a yellow at a minimum so can open it up a lot earlier, if that in turn goes green then its away to go

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Noticed that the other week when i was on it, the give away is the extra holes for the side steps

aye, the other giveaway is the 'towing eye' on the front of the frame as well.

I bet they've seen some action that's for sure.

• RMweb Premium

Get the thing into Barrow Hill then and begin the conversion from the bogies up into a Deltic and not of the baby sort.

Noooooooooooooooooo.

Not another blimmin' d*lt*c......

There's at least three too many already (ducks for cover)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic set of photos Jim! Thank you for sharing them.

Maybe Hornby could release one with the flat helmet on the side and another with the new tilted helmet on the side. Two different styles, two different running numbers. Just an idea Hornby... :no:

So what would you do with the end numbers?

Cheers,

Mick