Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Just one pic from this morning in kingmoor

C63F2321-0496-4356-897D-722E8A7A45BE.jpg

Had a good run over the cannock line and onwards through hixon to stoke and across to crewe, surprised how much i remembered considering it was my first trip over the line and it as dark which ive never done!

So after carlisle i went to my caravan for a bit of a sleep before getting a train to Edinburgh to to to the zoo, got off at haymarket and got a bus from there

F235262B-9783-4551-B041-9FDAB77838B3.jpg

Edinburgh tram

FA0F66F8-815E-4B78-9D59-CC3D6DB07798.jpg

And now im in the way back to carlisle being thrown about on a pendolino!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

No issues at all, 4 seat together on the train from carlsle and straight out if the station and onto the bus, i think we were early enough to avoid the rugby crowds at haymarket, admittedly i didnt know there was a rugby match on though!

The bus we got back from the zoo was a 100 from the airport which was a posh double decker with leather seats and tables, so we ended up sitting on the top deck and stayed on it to waverley to enjoy the sights into the city

as it happened when it dropped us at the station and we only had 10 mins to wait for our almost empty train back, we were all so knackered we fell asleep but my weird instinct of waking up 5 mins from our destination kicked in as we crossed the solway into england, not that it would have mattered as the train was terminating in crewe so if we had overslept we could have just gone home instead!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That first shot of Kingmoor in post 2558 above, I like the potted plant - makes all the difference!

The area in front of the shunters cabin was landscaped by one of the shunters, he laid nice chippings, sleeper borders, wood chopping area, pot plants and seating, looks quite nice to be honest

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

“..it’s a clean machine...”

Roughly how often are they cleaned by Colas, Jim?

our own locos dont get washed very often purely because they very rarely get on shed in rugby for it to be done, i dont know if the 60 was washed at toton as its the latest one out so hasnt seen much work to get it too dirty

When i get a chance to wash locos i do, as i did at chirk with one side of 66849, also when i go to etches park for fuel with the sinfin tanks if the loco wash is available i'll try and get through it for a quick once over

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Those lines around St Catherines in Doncaster: many of the now-lifted lines around there can be traced (and you can walk on some) in the Potteric Carr bird reserve. Take a map though, as it can be a bit confusing.

Its a bit confusing where the tracks are still there too!!

If you look in the sectional appendix the layout doesnt make sense as its lots of individual lines but when you see it from the ground it all becomes clear

• Like 1

as i say should have been a simple(ish) job but it ended up at almost 12 hours and i still didnt get to my destination, still it was one of those jo where despite the delays etc i enjoyed it, always nice to do something a bit different from the norm, and get 60056 under my belt too

Nice to know the delay wasn't Saltley's fault for once. Tho we do try to keep stuff moving. Even if its a bit like playing snooker with the signals. It ll b a bit easier when they get the 2 goods back in action for getting stuff in to heartlands.

Also nice pic of my last box severn bridge i dont think in all the time i was there i bothered getting a nighttime pic.

• Like 2

our own locos dont get washed very often purely because they very rarely get on shed in rugby for it to be done, i dont know if the 60 was washed at toton as its the latest one out so hasnt seen much work to get it too dirty

When i get a chance to wash locos i do, as i did at chirk with one side of 66849, also when i go to etches park for fuel with the sinfin tanks if the loco wash is available i'll try and get through it for a quick once over

Make sure you keep that nice green machine clean that's heading your way lol

Edited by 25901

not seen any pics of 057 yet, i've tried to get on the 37 traction course this coming week but its not happening unfortunatly, i used to sign them at DRS so i only need a refresh

Please no orange paint near this yet but have heard it will get some in the end as will 37116

http://nigelcockburn.smugmug.com/2015/April-2015/i-Pnk6TKK

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1