Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

At least these photos will help us remember it without wires :sungum:

And of some of our forethought from the early 1990s when a couple of us insisted that all the new signals going in i/c/w my layout scheme for the imported coal traffic should be to electrification clearances  (BR wasn't paying for them ;) ).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jim,

As always a great selection of pictures, I especially like the ones of Bescot.

But what are the yellow panels on the ground in the Didcot pics?? I know the TSR panels but the others??

they are the rear of ESR "dalek" warning boards

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Didn't realise you signed that far down (Didcot), Jim.

Is that your limit, south?

Any idea of your total route miles?

Apologies if that was commercially sensitive Jim,

was just wondering, as ya do. :whistle:

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if that was commercially sensitive Jim,

was just wondering, as ya do. :whistle:

Just not had a chance to tot it up, it will be quite high however much it is!! My west coast knowledge alone is 250 miles (without diversions) then add to that the chiltern, MML, east-west routes, east and west mids local lines, marches line, north wales, manchester and liverpool areas, it all adds up!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just not had a chance to tot it up, it will be quite high however much it is!! My west coast knowledge alone is 250 miles (without diversions) then add to that the chiltern, MML, east-west routes, east and west mids local lines, marches line, north wales, manchester and liverpool areas, it all adds up!

That's what made me think / ask, it must be considerable by now!

Keep up the updates, its much appreciated.

Like the trainspotting rabbit could have been a good one for the pot!

He must have felt at home between the undergrowth and the track weeds. He was easier to spot than the rails!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple from last night

66111 has lost its EWS logos and gained DB but more importantly its also lost its unofficial highland rail logos off the bodyside too, just another anonymous shed now unfortunatly (although i have driven it when it had the stags on)

FCAB5A33-105D-48CC-A652-278B6B5A8E96.jpg

Also this is interesting in kingmoor, there are quite a few of these throughout the yard but this is the most complete of the lot, i went into the opposite side of the yard than i normally do so its the first time ive seen this particular 'stand pipe'

0419EF9D-3726-4980-9B93-F6CA60E24C1A.jpg

Its obviously a vacuum pipe of some sort, this is the only one ive seen still with a handle, there no doubt would have been gauges on the top but i dont know what it would have been used for, getting brakes off, keeping brakes on, brake testing, im sure someone can enlighten me?

• Like 10

Just a couple from last night

66111 has lost its EWS logos and gained DB but more importantly its also lost its unofficial highland rail logos off the bodyside too, just another anonymous shed now unfortunatly (although i have driven it when it had the stags on)

FCAB5A33-105D-48CC-A652-278B6B5A8E96.jpg

Also this is interesting in kingmoor, there are quite a few of these throughout the yard but this is the most complete of the lot, i went into the opposite side of the yard than i normally do so its the first time ive seen this particular 'stand pipe'

0419EF9D-3726-4980-9B93-F6CA60E24C1A.jpg

Its obviously a vacuum pipe of some sort, this is the only one ive seen still with a handle, there no doubt would have been gauges on the top but i dont know what it would have been used for, getting brakes off, keeping brakes on, brake testing, im sure someone can enlighten me?

Never seen those in a UK yard before; SNCF seem to have them in the Departure sidings of their yards, enabling them to charge up main reservoirs before the loco arrives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Presumably used to allow C&W staff to carry out full (i.e. not just continuity) brake tests while trains are standing on whichever roads in the yard?

That does indeed look like a vacuum brake valve to me to!!

Also the fitting on the end looks like a vac pipe connection.

• RMweb Gold

That does indeed look like a vacuum brake valve to me to!!

Also the fitting on the end looks like a vac pipe connection.

Exactly so - they are the two features that led me towards the idea of equipment to help do a full brake test.  Otherwise a loco would be needed so having a sort of 'vacuum shore supply' struck me as a rather clever idea.

• RMweb Premium

Exactly so - they are the two features that led me towards the idea of equipment to help do a full brake test.  Otherwise a loco would be needed so having a sort of 'vacuum shore supply' struck me as a rather clever idea.

After doing a little digging, Mike, the name on the handle in Jim's pic is a company called "Gresham & Craven Ltd".

It seems the company made many valves and brake components for steam loco's back in the day.

http://www.swindonhistoriccastings.co.uk/g-c.html

Some more Gresham & Craven info here-

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Vacuum_Brake_Co

I think we can safely say its vacuum brake equipment in your picture Jim.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Gold

Don't they ever kill weeds in Hereford station?

Who are 'they'? If you mean Network Rail, then you might find that 'they' have to concentrate on more important routes. Also bear in mind that we are in the growing season, so the weeds that you see have not been there very long. Oh, and 'they' aren't allowed the sort of weedkillers that were around in the eighties for fear of polluting watercourses.