Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how much longer the EWS brand will remain?  Its been enough time to get more repainted by now.

Brian

DB Schenker aren't in any rush to rebrand as they're trying to spend as little money as possible - that's why there's only a few 66's repainted in red. Even the half-ar*ed DB sticker program appears to have almost ground to a halt. The 60's needed a repaint after their heavy refurb, so they're happily in red.

I don't mind as I model the current scene and it's enough of a problem keeping up with liveries without more changes!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Any truth to the story going round that DB only bought EWS for the bits in France?

I heard that they really wanted everything the other side of the channel but were told "its all or nothing!!"

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how much longer the EWS brand will remain?  Its been enough time to get more repainted by now.

Brian

Even if every train was DB red there'd still be plenty of EWS polo shirts and hi viz jackets being worn! I've got a few despite EWS being long gone when I started...

jo

Jim,

As ever great pics and vids you never disappoint!

Ok this has really struck me! Look at the Pic of Tornado above specifically the buffers, the look at the 60 below again the buffers.

While I know they will be the right size is it just me or do they look strangely out of scale on Tornado wit the engine been such a big beast while the 60 look right even though the buffers will be broadly the same kind of size even if different in shape. 

• RMweb Gold

Couple from last night, final night of the warrington to carlisle logs

Signal check in carlisle

1B40BF8C-6C65-4DA4-A66D-CFC84660F400.jpg

And in kingmoor

E0FD11F5-F558-47DB-8ABB-1E6818892D2D.jpg

And that was that, bit of variety next week, got the baglan logs one day and 3 days road learning for a diversion thats coming up in august

• Like 19

And that was that, bit of variety next week, got the baglan logs one day and 3 days road learning for a diversion thats coming up in august

Which way you doing the logs Jim, I liked the friendly wave at Willaston Crossing the last time you came through :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Which way you doing the logs Jim, I liked the friendly wave at Willaston Crossing the last time you came through :sungum:

i'll coming through willaston later, got the logs hereford to chirk

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

I was an hour late through crewe anyway!

Early into hereford then regulated for late running ATW services, even picking up 20 mins by not stopping in sutton bridge was wiped out by following the local stopper from salop to crewe then sitting outside the station for 20 mins

Couple of pics though, just iphone again

Waiting at hereford

C5C5C2E4-050D-4BB4-AA6A-FA1F22D806AB.jpg

57A9B7A5-DA40-4A59-955E-E8CD5F5B66F7.jpg

And during a 'wee break' (and not in the scottish sense!) outside crewe at 21:45 in the last of the evening sunshine

7D874A98-6CCE-442C-AADE-613099958FD1.jpg

Tonight was the first 60 ive had up gresford bank with a loaded train and it certainly is an improvement over a 66, from a standing start at green lane it got to about 55 at the bottom of the bank and by the time it reached the top it was doing about 35, compared to a 66 that is about 5mph better at the bottom and a good 10mph better at the top, the other thing to bear in mind is the baglan logs tonight was about 200 ton heaver than the normal carlisle train so i should imagine that would be better still, hopefully i'll get to compare those soon, the main thing was it was so much quieter than a 66!

After a signal check at wrexham i finally got into chirk, the finish of 60002 is superb!

C02B4A97-008E-46D0-9359-8234EAFF9ACB.jpg

I must admit im quite pleased about getting on 60002, i think its because i had a Lima model of it back in the 90s when it was 'capability brown' and its always been a favorite ever since, in fact i only sold the model a few years back!

Off to Rugby later for a meeting and im going to get a bit of road learning in on the way down, stoke to norton bridge in preperation for the logs being diverted that way before the end of the year

• Like 14

Im going to get a bit of road learning in on the way down, stoke to norton bridge in preperation for the logs being diverted that way before the end of the year

Is that a temporary diversion...........I like watching the logs come through Willaston......lol!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Is that a temporary diversion...........I like watching the logs come through Willaston......lol!!!!!!!

the baglan logs will still come through willaston but the empty carlisle logs are going via wolverhampton-walsall-rugeley-colwich-stone-stoke-kidsgrove to crewe when they shut stafford and norton bridge for resignalling/realigning etc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Were you driving 6J37 yesterday Jim past horrocksford

nope, would have had to split myself in half to do the baglan and carlisle logs!!

(still need to get the S+C route on my card anyway)

• RMweb Gold

a few from today, had a days road learning on the cannock chase line, as well as a look over stoke to norton bridge en route

37601 in crewe (i took this yesterday but its not moved today!)

DSCF0344.jpg

didnt have my camera on until i got to rugeley where i had about 30 mins to spare before my train left to walsall, here it is arriving on the inward service

DSCF0372.jpg

chester bound voyager

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0375.jpg

freightliner 70

DSCF0376.jpg

london bound voyager

DSCF0377.jpg

crewe bound 350

DSCF0379.jpg

DSCF0381.jpg

glasgow bound pendolino

DSCF0382.jpg

garston car train

DSCF0384.jpg

DSCF0385.jpg

crewe to dirft DRS 57

DSCF0389.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

i then got the train out to walsall where i had 20 mins before getting a train back to rugeley

london bound voyager

DSCF0392.jpg

OHLE maintainance train

DSCF0394.jpg

DSCF0395.jpg

chester bound voyager

DSCF0396.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

london bound pendolino

DSCF0399.jpg

from here i was hoping to get a train back to crewe via stone and norton bridge but i was refused entry to the cab by the london midland driver despite having all the relevent up to date passes

so i went back on the 170 over to walsall and ultimatley new st and hme that way instead, all was not lost though as i used that to have a look at the new signalling around wolverhampton station

so into crewe, by now it was raining heavily!

plaque in memory of the train robbery victims on platform 12, i'd forgot it was there

DSCF0400.jpg

got chatting to a WCR driver who was waiting for an ECS service to arrive so i hung around and waited to see what it was, and it was this, 47760 with a rake of pullman coaches

DSCF0402.jpg

off that went and in rolled the 57 i'd seen earlier in the day at rugeley bringing back some wagons from daventry, it ran round then headed back to gresty bridge

DSCF0405.jpg

DSCF0407.jpg

DSCF0408.jpg

by now i decided to brave the rain for a walk back to the van, got soaked wet through though

and after all that my road learning the rest of the week has had to be cancelled so i can (possibly) work a couple of oil trains via the erewash tomorrow due to the derailmant in lincolnshire, watch this space!!

other than the driver being shirty with me i quite enjoyed the day, not too much to the cannock line, lots of up and down speeds for freight but an interesting little line

Edited by big jim
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

The Chase line is my local line Jim - look forward to these diversions and the chance to get some photos of workings other than class 170s and coal trains to Rugeley.

Any info you have on the diversions nearer the time would really be appreciated :)

• Like 1

Interesting update as ever Jim, I don't live too far from the chase line and would be interested to know what diversions may be heading that way, make a change from LM units and the odd freightliner coal into rugeley p.s.

Good pics keep 'em up!

Chris

Edit. Must've posted at the same time, didn't mean to do a virtually identical post!

Edited by chriswild