Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

While the rush to electrification is understandable, the overhead clutter doesn't do anything for the countryside in the proximity of the railway.  Not only does it affect historical routes but their infrastructure that has to be adapted to accommodate the masts and wiring which in turn detracts from the historic original.  It ruins photography also, especially with steam trains and hopefully it will not spread to the South West; its bad enough losing the semaphores in the not too distant future!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Groundhog day doesn't mean anything until you've had the same loco on the same job 5/6 days per week for 7 months...................  (Previous log loco - 66849)

:jester:

cheers,

Mick

While the rush to electrification is understandable, the overhead clutter doesn't do anything for the countryside in the proximity of the railway.  Not only does it affect historical routes but their infrastructure that has to be adapted to accommodate the masts and wiring which in turn detracts from the historic original.  It ruins photography also, especially with steam trains and hopefully it will not spread to the South West; its bad enough losing the semaphores in the not too distant future!

Brian.

We’ve had OHLE where I grew up (on the mainline) since 1947. I guess I knew nothing else! Still enjoyed Brits and assorted other steam running through for a long time. The electric suburban trains on the former GER were very efficient and timely, going backward and forward like, er, clockwork........

Of course Switzerland has had it much longer than that.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Brian.

So what would you do instead? Third-rail electrification?

• RMweb Premium

Brian.

Apologies for hijacking Jim's excellent thread on the current day railway scene.

As you say, OLE ruins photography, but the railways aren't there to provide photo opportunities. As for steam - putting it bluntly - it's now simply a tourist attraction/enthusiasts plaything. The railways are there (I think) to provide a reliable and safe means of transport for the masses.

Many complained about the railways when they were built as a blight on the landscape. But we moved on and created a more recent bit of history with some wonderful architecture. Near me is Whalley viaduct - a massive brick structure that would've caused outrage amongst the locals when it was built over 150 years ago. Now, it's part of the landscape.

Maybe in time, the overhead equipment will become historical as we ride around in maglevs.................

Don't get me wrong, there are times when I think that scenes and structures are being altered and not always for the better IMO, but I believe in progress  - and most of it is good. At least we can record it photographically and save those images for the future. Thanks to Jim for doing just that. (Back on topic - just)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Showing my ignorance what is a route/traction retainer?

If a driver doesn't work a route, or a particular type of traction, within a certain period of time, their route or traction knowledge is deemed to have lapsed. Before being allowed to work that route, or type of traction, unaccompanied, then they have to do a route or traction refresher.

Tornado is up in Scotland just now it worked an Edinburgh to Edinburgh Princes trust train last (Tuesday) night via Stirling and Alloa so that it was on the Forth railbridge at the same time as a firework display.

Bruce 

Edited by bruced2
  • Like 2

Jim, just to say thanks, again, for your continuing excellent photo coverage. It’s great to see when you are thousands of miles away.

Perhaps you’ll come to New York one day to see “The Book of Mormon" on Broadway in NYC?

Cheers, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you’ll come to New York one day to see “The Book of Mormon" on Broadway in NYC?

Cheers, Pete.

Joking apart, I'd love to do that!!

Even the touring one would be nice, if i ever get out to the states again i'm going to track it down and go and see it, my mum is in florida and my sister in LA so i have 2 bases covered there!

• Like 2

Tornado is up in Scotland just now it worked an Edinburgh to Edinburgh Princes trust train last (Tuesday) night via Stirling and Alloa so that it was on the Forth railbridge at the same time as a firework display.

Bruce 

It went to Carlisle straight from Edinburgh this morning 

• RMweb Premium

It went to Carlisle straight from Edinburgh this morning 

Thanks for that i thought it was staying up in Scotland for a bit but probably safer in Carlisle.

Bruce

Apparently it's covering a couple of trips north of the border for the broken 60009 UoSA.

Cheers,

Mick

Apparently it's covering a couple of trips north of the border for the broken 60009 UoSA.

Cheers,

Mick

It is ScotRail's Carlisle - Bellshill - Carlisle (north via Beattock, south via Annbank) on Saturday. It is also doing the SRPS Fife Circle runs (Edinburgh - Kirkcaldy - Dunfermline - Niddrie West Jn - Edinburgh) on Sunday the 5th of July.