Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

here you go, 22:59 through ludlow, will be a 70 on it

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R62292/2015/02/23/advanced

if thats too late for you then on tuesday evening the baglan logs is running too, if i remember right its about 19:00 off hereford (its not showing on RTT yet), that is now perminantly booked a class 70 too

• RMweb Gold

What's the 56 like compared to the 70??

technologically its like comparing vhs to bluray!!

power wise its like comparing herbal tea to a double espresso shot

driver comfort is like comparing an ikea futon with a lazy boy recliner

asthetically its like comparing madonna in the 80s to madonna today, where did it all go so wrong?

im sure you get the idea!

• Like 12

here you go, 22:59 through ludlow, will be a 70 on it

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R62292/2015/02/23/advanced

if thats too late for you then on tuesday evening the baglan logs is running too, if i remember right its about 19:00 off hereford (its not showing on RTT yet), that is now perminantly booked a class 70 too

Hi Jim,

The Baglan logs were cancelled tonight apparently "waiting for customer traffic".  I'm struggling to figure out from RTT if there is any pattern to the operations - can you shed any light on the Baglan workings or is it as-required?

Many thanks

Alastair

• RMweb Gold

just one iphone pic from this week, not in a photography mood!

the coal is back on for this week and next, so far this week its been running via the marches to shrewsbury then over to wolverhampton, walsall and regaining its booked route ar water orton

here it is at sutton bridge, 70809 at the helm

6F90DB76-3385-4CE6-8DA3-7976BC53FFB7.jpg

quite an interesting night operationally for me at one point, but not something to be discussed on here as 'fun' as it was!

back on it again tonight but going salop - nantwich - basford hall - stafford - lichfield - nuneaton - leicester - toton (i knew refreshing the wcml last year would be useful!)

• Like 9

Hi Jim,

The Baglan logs were cancelled tonight apparently "waiting for customer traffic".  I'm struggling to figure out from RTT if there is any pattern to the operations - can you shed any light on the Baglan workings or is it as-required?

Many thanks

Alastair

Given the area they're coming from, and some of the weather they've been having this week, it could be that the people felling and hauling the timber to the site have had problems extracting the timber.

Given the area they're coming from, and some of the weather they've been having this week, it could be that the people felling and hauling the timber to the site have had problems extracting the timber.

Mighty fine point that! Living in Bridgend I can confirm South Wales is not having the best of weather at the moment!

Alastair

• RMweb Gold

Last night was one of those night where i just enjoyed the job, did something slightly different but just like old times!

As i've already mentioned the coal went via salop to crewe, through basford hall then down the WCML to nuneaton, it was really nice to work a train over one of my old routes again, as i said i refreshed it last year but from the 2nd mans seat so last night was the first 'proper drive' south of stafford for a long time had a cracking run, up to 60mph before shugborough tunnel then on the fasts as far as lichfield, crossed over to the slows from there then stayed at 60 all the way to nuneaton where i took the link chord over to the leicester line, something ive never done before

Only One pic, quite unusual as it shows a train from bristol facing southbound in stafford!

DCEDCCFA-0D36-4F2D-94D7-DCDF9569D7E7.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Jim

It seemed to be working quite hard up to Willaston Crossing last night but sounded ace........I could here you coming for a good couple of minutes :sungum: Is it generally all uphill from around Wem to Crewe, I only ask as the Logs always seem to loose time there compared to the times that are avaialble on RTT?

• RMweb Gold

I was on restrictves through nantwich (i assumed i was following something) but it pulled off to a green before newcastle road crossing so i gave it the gun as i knew there was a passenger behind me

Its pretty easy to get up to speed on approach to wem and keep it there but there is a 30mph speed restriction after whitchurch which knocks the wind out of your sails for a few miles, currently there is also a restriction through nantwich station (30mph) which also knocks you a bit

RTT stopped reporting me after madeley last night for some reason

That answers a big question I've been trying to find out, when I see the 6V82 Tunstead to Westbury Lafarge cement tanks pass through Sandbach, If it runs say 15 minuts early, I can almost guarantee by the time it reaches shrewsbury it's 5-8 minutes behind schedule and now I know the reason. Two speed restrictions before wem.

Mat

• RMweb Gold

They ran last night and sounded great, do you know of any reason for a pair?

So it stood a fighting chance of actually arriving at its destination (im not joking either!)

With any luck it will transfer to being a 70 late next week if i get my drivers refreshed on them early in the week

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So it stood a fighting chance of actually arriving at its destination (im not joking either!)

With any luck it will transfer to being a 70 late next week if i get my drivers refreshed on them early in the week

56's getting abit iffy lately, Jim?

What's the main cause of problems on them, or does it vary a lot and can  literally be anything?

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Gold

The main problem is a bit like mine, old age!

I was introduced in feb 1975 and am falling apart, they were introduced in feb 1977 and are of a similar build quality

we both have hoses that regularly fail, we make strange noises under pressure, we both suffer from unexplained fluid loss, thankfully unlike myself they have been touched up more times and than a teenager at a 1970s radio 1 reunion party and have had more facelifts than sharon osbourne and anne robinson put together!

• Like 4