• RMweb Gold

here are the uploads from the proper camera

first night was the stormy night down the bicester branch

DSCF9011.jpg

as you can see it was somewhat damp!

DSCF9015.jpg

another one of the 66 in hinksey

DSCF9020.jpg

then the next night it was drier, but a lot colder, unfortunatly i forgot my tripod this week so all these pics are taken from on top of walls, spt's, digger wheel arches, anything i could find really!

DSCF9023.jpg

DSCF9026.jpg

DSCF9028.jpg

last night was the coal, 70 on it again, had a run straight through to hatton where once the stratford service left he drew me forward into the platform, dont stop here very often so grabbed a pic while i could

DSCF9039.jpg

DSCF9040.jpg

and on to landor st where i got off and fought my way home via the partially closed M6!

DSCF9042.jpg

back in tomorrow for 3 days of trains to claydon and bicester

• Like 18

And as a slight aside, my shunter tonight, paul, has sent me some pics to post of a little job he and 'my man in the south west' worked the other week to St Ives, a few cracking pics, loving the one looking down onto the station

Driver asks "are you sure this is right?"

Brian.

Thanks to Jim and others for details of what's going on - trying to keep up with it all is quite difficult, but I did manage to get out to Bicester today in light of some of the info above.

I was able to get shots of 70809 and 70804 with the ballast train that was parked under the Chiltern main line bridge over the "Varsity" line (incidentally, does anyone know what the headcode for this train was please?), this being the working from Hinksey at 22:58 on 19th January, returning to Bescot at 03:00 (time at Claydon) on 21st January. As this train presumably occupied this section of track all day, there was no MoD working from Didcot to Bicester today, 20th January.

Photos here - 70809 on the Bletchley end of the train:

IGMP7431_70809_BicesterGavrayJcn_6xxx_20

IGMP7436_70809_BicesterGavrayJcn_6xxx_20

70804 on the Oxford end of the train:

IGMP7451_70804_BicesterGavrayJcn_6xxx_20

"Clickable" images to take you to larger pictures on my site (hopefully, my ISP seems to be playing up tonight...!).

Cheers, Geoff

• Like 15

Thanks for the further info Jim, as a resident of Haddenham I did wonder what the prolonged stop there was in aid of last night (this morning!) but I didn't feel up to turning out at that hour of the day and even if I had I'd probably have missed you as you left 68 minutes early, according to RTT! I gather a similar stop is being made tonight, but to be honest, I doubt if I'll be out...!

Cheers, Geoff

• RMweb Gold

The headcode was/is 6C32, i'm on my way back there to collect it as we speak, i was hoping i was a straight get on, brake test and go but it turns out the train never got emptied today as the ballast was frozen so ive got to empty it tonight (assuming its thawed!) instead

Not a happy bunny about that as we now need to split it again and go along the chord

Geoff, its now booked an hour later off claydon jn in the morning (which i think will cause problems at risborouh personally) so i should imagine it will just go straight through again

Edited by big jim

Thanks Jim, appreciated! I didn't realise the train I saw had not been emptied as there was nowhere I could get high enough to see into the wagons but wouldn't surprise me that the load was frozen - I was none too warm getting the shots!

Sounds like you may be straight through Haddenham tonight (tomorrow morning!) if you've got to unload tonight - not that it's overwarm this evening...

Good Luck - Cheers, Geoff

Like the photo of Aylesbury depot very clear and you can see the layout easily ,its interesting when the 56 passes often see it outside Stoke Manderville on way to Risborough through the level crossing at Marsh Lane it makes the ground shake as it passes.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, phoning round to sort the headlight!!

(And i was in a position of safety btw!!)

I presume that was you stood on sinfin central platform waiting (hoping) for us to head up towards you?

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

Heads up for anyone out and about in the midlands tomorrow, tonights coal service from bristol to ratcliffe and its empty return to gloucester will be colas' final one for some considirable time

From what i believe from another forum the government has changed the tax on imported fuels or something so its been stockpiled and quite simply not as much is needing to be moved around, this not only effects small players like colas with its single train but over the coming weeks and months we will probably see less and less coal being moved from port to powerstation by the likes of schenker, freightliner, gbrf etc

Going to be taking my camera tonight for a few shots hopefully

The above info is my understanding of the situation, not heard anything official about it

Heads up for anyone out and about in the midlands tomorrow, tonights coal service from bristol to ratcliffe and its empty return to gloucester will be colas' final one for some considirable time

From what i believe from another forum the government has changed the tax on imported fuels or something so its been stockpiled and quite simply not as much is needing to be moved around, this not only effects small players like colas with its single train but over the coming weeks and months we will probably see less and less coal being moved from port to powerstation by the likes of schenker, freightliner, gbrf etc

Going to be taking my camera tonight for a few shots hopefully

The above info is my understanding of the situation, not heard anything official about it

Thanks for the heads up on this Jim. Will have to make the effort and get off my backside and phot the empties, hopefully still with 70808....