Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Jim,

You might feel that those pics aren't your best but you must not lose sight of the fact that you have still managed to capture the atmosphere as well as reminding us how hard the night jobs can be! Very informative as usual and I know I'm not alone in hoping for more early in the New Year.

Can I take the opportunity to wish you and your family a Happy and prosperous New Year,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

the pics that are showing now are the edited ones which are much improved over the originals so i'm happier with them now

also i had to be careful getting pics as the london worksites are far busier and high profile than up at bicester or banbury rd for example where i can spend a bit more time composing pics during down time and be able to set up a tripod away from the tracks, and with all the hoo ha over kings cross over running you have to be careful that 'the media' or 'twitterati' arent lurking on an overbridge for a photo opportunity of a train driver 'doing nothing' while passengers are stranded at finsbury park, all it takes is one pic out of context!!

I think it's always going to be a struggle getting high quality photos in the depths of a British winter. The point here is you're give us all a glimpse of areas of the network we'd never usually see and I for one am very grateful that you do. Out and out quality really doesn't matter. The fact you're out there taking the time to do it does.

I find your thread extremely interesting, please keep it up! Thanks for your efforts and all the best for 2015.

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

There are a pair of Colas liveried loco's that have been parked at Doncaster from before Christmas, a 70 and a 60. The 60 is CLIC Sargeant but so far I've failed to identify the 70!

Edited by Richard E

Some good shots over the Christmas period Jim well done.........

With regard to the 60's in Colas livery , I'm not a great fan of the livery to be honest but those 60's are the first loco's to look good in it , only my personal view you understand :scratchhead:

Great thread, excellent pictures. As someone who's always been interested in railways, reading this thread (and others here) from people at the operational end of things has been very enlightening - it's an aspect I never used to have any access to, and it's fascinating.

• RMweb Gold

some from last night/this morning

had 70804 on the coal which made a nice change, ran via burton on trent both ways rather than leicester so ended up with 4 hours in toton waiting to get into the power station

DSCF8893.jpg

on the way in

and after unloading

DSCF8894.jpg

DSCF8896.jpg

and back in landor st

DSCF8922.jpg

DSCF8923.jpg

DSCF8924.jpg

and off it went to gloucester

DSCF8926.jpg

DSCF8927.jpg

DSCF8929.jpg

same again tonight and for the rest of the week

• Like 13

Apologies if this a stupid question, but how come there are still 56s around but no 58s?

(My one and only cab ride was in a new-ish 58 so I kind of have a soft spot for them).

That's a easy question. You have to remember that this was when EWS was going through its "not letting anybody buy it's old loco's phase", which required the rail regulator to step in to force them to sell old stuff, but then they had the "component recovery centre" at wigan, that recovered components from withdrawn loco's for reuse. At the time EWS was getting rid of the loco's that used all these old components, and one of the agreements with the regulator was that a loco was complete as long as body panels or minor bits had been removed from above the solebars only, which lead to the sight of the 47s with broken backs as the body work was cut in the middle with the engine and generator still in position. The 56 escaped a lot of that due to being saved from scrapyards or preservationists but the 58 was used further by EWS abroad. Once EWS had made their monies from the French/Spain high speed lines, and the few that had been sold to European open access opertators, they just quietly ignored them and left them to rot.

From what I understand also the design of the 58s are a bit of a pain to work on compared to other fleets.

Don't ask me how exactly I am just going on stuff I have been told from family friends who worked on the 58s back in the day, and now complain the DB fleet is boring and taken the fun out of it!

Ok small update to this one of the issues that was one of the classes down fall is the main chassis unlike you my find in other classes for structural reasons it was a one piece chassis so if they were damaged or needed the cab frame replacing it was a hell of a task.

Where as other classes (even older ones) had a compartment type structure so the frame under the cab could be taken out and swapped easily for another frame, I know the HST power cars use this.

So if the frame had to be redone and welded in not just bolted in effect it is a big task meaning the availability was down, hence they have gone before other classes that don't have this issue. 

Edited by acko22

• RMweb Gold

Off the wall comment* - Jim's last post, 6th picture - why does the 170 have a picture of a gun (AK47?) on it's destination board? :P

* SO far off the wall, it's across the lawn & into the shrubbery

Another random idiom. © R Poyner, 2015

• RMweb Premium

Not quite Jim's area, but 60087 saw the first Colas tug on 6M32/6E32 Preston-Lindsey bitumen tanks today.

Not my pic, but seen here crossing over to regain the mainline at Daisyfield at Blackburn.

I need to go and see it for myself........... it is pathed to run Thursday and Friday this week......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3