Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

That's a shame.

Sorry if this is an obvious or perhaps even silly question.

When that happens to a loco do colas wait till next time it goes for maintenance and then redo the paint?

• RMweb Gold

And that there is the problem!

Never been Hinksey personally but if it is that remote makes it a better target for these plebs, sadly they have a Max Power Corsa and a sad use of time!

Regrettably Hinksey is both readily accessible and shielded by trees from any housing - all too easy easy a  target for illiterate paint spraying sub-humans regrettably  (and as there's a footbridge they don't even run the chance of getting a just reward crossing the running lines - which is just as well for those who would have to clear them up afterwards).u

• RMweb Premium

Best haven site security,and cctv...

I disagree with you on that, All locomotives should be housed in a secure loco shed and not left to stand in the open to the riggers of the weather and graffiti arts (if you can call it art).

In the longer term that could save pounds on damage and repair costs.    

Edited by Trainshed Terry

Sadly it is in no way plausible to put every loco in a secure shed, the cost of building them alone at every location would rule it out then you have all the other tit bits like planning permission!

Lets just do it properly make the idea of committing crime less favorable! Harder punishments or as my dad had in his day a good smack from a copper or the foreman always taught him a lesson!  

Edited by acko22
  • Like 2

I disagree with you on that, All locomotives should be housed in a secure loco shed and not left to stand in the open to the riggers of the weather and graffiti arts (if you can call it art).

In the longer term that could save pounds on damage and repair costs.    

Spending millions doing that is wasting money "reacting to the problem". Assuming all the locos are hidden away under lock and key... take a look at a MU depot, dozens of units sitting out in the open air... spend billions building secure carriage sheds to hide away them away too? I don't think so. Much more than a verbal "slap on the wrist" is required when these ar*eholes are caught. I agree that they're not often caught, but throw the book at those who are and it might just become a less-tempting hobby for the remaining brain-deads... Act, don't react.

One simple way to stop these so called artists (vandalizing scum) if they are caught say spraying a Colas class 70 well get the staff who will have to deal with the cleaning / repaint job go to the individuals home and give them some unwanted paint jobs on their car etc then they can feel the pinch of having get the car etc repainted, all out of their own pocket of course!

I know it will never happen but wow if it did they wouldn't want to be driving around in a car with lines like "I am a vandalizing little Sh*t bag" all over it!

We have care in the community so why not punishment in the community! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There may be a chance of prosecution. The perpetrators sprayed tags rather than just a design. If someone is actually caught, or ID'd on CCTV spraying the same tag they can (in theory) be prosecuted for every known occurrence of that tag. It has happened.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I spose looking on the bright side it could have been much worse!

Smashed windows and wrecked cabs the other scenario.

How much is a repaint these days, a complete job is circa 15 or 20 grand on a big loco I think.

Hiring some outfit like G4S for a night IF  a loco has to be left there must be a snip in comparison.

a few from the last few days, quite frankly i've got back and uploaded the pics and am pretty dissapointed by them, come out awful!!

Bit harsh on yourself Jim! Look pretty good to me.

• RMweb Premium

a few from the last few days, quite frankly i've got back and uploaded the pics and am pretty dissapointed by them, come out awful!!

There's nowt wrong with them Jim. Edited by Mod4
unnecessary full requote duplicating images removed

• RMweb Gold

they are just too dark and the daytime ones are out of focus, i have edited them slightly before posting, for some reason it takes photobucket a while to show the edited pics up so at the time of writing (13:50) i am seeing the unedited pics but in a few hours you should see the pics lightened up etc, whether it improves them is another matter!

i think a lot of the problem was i didnt bother with a full size tripod and my pocket one is poor, not designed for bridge cameras so i had to be selective where i put it incase it collapsed 

• RMweb Premium

There may be a chance of prosecution. The perpetrators sprayed tags rather than just a design. If someone is actually caught, or ID'd on CCTV spraying the same tag they can (in theory) be prosecuted for every known occurrence of that tag. It has happened.

Pete

I hope so, the tag on the cab of the 70 looks familiar to one that has appeared in the past on some of the FGW units whilst stabled at Rewley Road Sidings in Oxford.

• RMweb Premium

Pete

I've photos of the same "Amok" tag on a few wagons - from a couple of years ago. But nothing as big as that on the 70.

Cheers,

Mick