Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

With the whole thing it was likely a one of them jobs that when on first look it looks like a 2 day job but when you start getting into it then it becomes apparent that the original job may only be a 2 day job but there are other issues hidden and it all takes longer!

As I have never been London using the East Coast and Kings Cross is that a flyover into the tunnels going into Kings Cross?

Acko

• RMweb Gold

With the whole thing it was likely a one of them jobs that when on first look it looks like a 2 day job but when you start getting into it then it becomes apparent that the original job may only be a 2 day job but there are other issues hidden and it all takes longer!

The way jobs are (should be) planned nowadays it would have been broken down into carefully arranged sections of work that fitted on the critical path and made sense against the total time allotted plus, probably, a bit of 'float' allowed for unforeseen events.  Obviously something pretty serious went wrong to delay the hand back to the extent it was delayed - all we can hope for is that the inquiry honestly and objectively identifies what went wrong and why and doesn't become some sort of cover up of too much work being programmed or whatever.

• RMweb Gold

the tunnel in the background is copenhagen tunnel and the flyover is so the up slow can cross over the fast lines as south of there the slows are side by side as are the fasts, north of there the fasts are sandwiched by the slow lines

from the signal before the tunnel you can take the route indicator to take you onto the north london line at camden town

• RMweb Premium
big jim, on 28 Dec 2014 - 17:14, said:

the tunnel in the background is copenhagen tunnel and the flyover is so the up slow can cross over the fast lines as south of there the slows are side by side as are the fasts, north of there the fasts are sandwiched by the slow lines

from the signal before the tunnel you can take the route indicator to take you onto the north london line at camden town

Couple of questions Jim.

Is the loco facing Kings Cross in your shot?

Also, Is the loco on the up slow?

Interesting photo as the eastern most bores are out of view. Showing how much the line curves

Don't think I've seen the first view for about 40 yrs. but then that was from the front row of a cravens unit heading from hertford North to the cross

Of course then the flyover was on a different alignment and had a different purpose

Colin

• RMweb Gold

more pics for the "real things looking like models" thread there, the 2nd one down makes the loco look like its made of plastic!!

anyway a few from tonight, off the iphone, actually moved around a bit today!

this was my view for the first 8 hours, basically moving back and forth while they loaded wagons with spoil

96D8034E-A0D5-47B7-B11C-C5AA4B134C29.jpg

then i run round to face country end before heading off to bermondsey

2A088227-4143-44C0-B17E-488D5C38A6D7.jpg

before getting relief and heading back to the hotel, relief by another rmweb member as it happens

AC5D26EE-4A6E-4592-832E-F285060713F6.jpg

one more day of work before i head home, hinksey to bicester via claydon jn later this evening

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

oh dear, just got news that 70803 got 'reliveried' last night in hinksey yard, my loco for later unfortunatly

How are the 70's doing now they've been in traffic a while. R they in your opinion much better than previous classes?

Phil