Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

In the interests of clarity ALCO built 540 S1’s between April 1940 and June 1950. A further 292 S3’s were built (the only difference being the trucks or bogies) 5 of the S1’s ended in the UK, at some point.

It was a pretty successful locomotive.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium
The Stationmaster, on 26 Oct 2014 - 22:46, said:

I believe the Cholsey and Wallingford want rid of it as it is taking up space and is utterly useless to them as it won't fit under bridges!

And at 90 ton on 4 axles, it'll give their bullhead fishplates some grief aswel I'd imagine! :D

• RMweb Premium
trisonic, on 27 Oct 2014 - 01:37, said:

In the interests of clarity ALCO built 540 S1’s between April 1940 and June 1950. A further 292 S3’s were built (the only difference being the trucks or bogies) 5 of the S1’s ended in the UK, at some point.

It was a pretty successful locomotive.

Best, Pete.

S2 is turbo charged Pete, to give 1000 HP.

S1 is naturally aspirated.

• RMweb Premium
don, on 26 Oct 2014 - 21:17, said:

Hi Jim,i notice that that this Alco doesnt have any buffers?i thought that the european supplied locos had buffers in place of the American buckeyes? 

Pedantic mode on, (sorry) American loco's don't have 'buckeye's' in the UK sense, they have knuckle couplers.

• RMweb Gold

And at 90 ton on 4 axles, it'll give their bullhead fishplates some grief aswel I'd imagine! :D

Having ridden the line over the years on various vehicles (most recently a 350 shunter) something which gives the road a good rolling might not be a bad idea, even if all the fishplates break in the process  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

anyhooo, back to work, just one pic as the rest are on the proper camera

B072D28F-15C6-4E16-9368-912BD277BF4D.jpg

that was on arrival into bescot with 70801, 70804, 70805 and 20 loaded falcons!

had fun fuelling them at bescot as the depot is now closed, no power to it anymore ready to be pulled down sometime next month so we had to run up the north end and fuel it on the "tank road" the problem being you can only shunt one loco at a time

quite a good day for pics today as well, 4 class 60s knocking about between oxford and bescot!!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
lmsforever, on 28 Oct 2014 - 15:56, said:

Wallingford could sell the Alco for scrap at least that way money would be in their bank account.

Scrap an Alco?! :O

That would be sacrilege!

I do wonder why and how they came to acquire it though!

• RMweb Gold

a few from today

got some pics of bescot shed, its now all fanced off ready to be demolished so really its my last chance to get any pics of it as im on a different job for the next few weeks

all pics from the sony lems camera, loads on the proper one too to upload when i get home

60074 on the lindsey tanks at water orton

D7A4CFC9-F58D-44EF-8E71-B84662991989.jpg

bescot with a pair of royal 67s

3CC86EC2-BC59-417A-8A9C-7E8FACEBB3BB.jpg

E44CA35D-B031-4BD3-833D-ACDDC2B54770.jpg

58B6040F-F0F6-4EB2-B81B-ED459300D42A.jpg

seen loads of class 60s over the last few days on various turns, got some good shots to upload of thise, also 68003 in bescot earlier too

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Its only the depot building thats coming down its going to be staying open as a fuelling and servicing point and they are putting up one of those nissen hut type buildings in its place

Its playing havoc with the fuelling at the moment though!!

• RMweb Premium

With all the depots seemingly closing no doubt it will only be a matter of time before we have a depot shortage!!

I can see BS opening again before to long maybe with another owner especially with the yards right there!

The days of needing a depot for anything other than the most serious of work are well and truly over. Performing fuelling, cleaning and even fairly significant repairs "out in the field" (via road tankers and "man in a van" options) so to speak is not only cheaper and more efficient, but also removes the need to maintain (and keep secure from vandals, metal thieves) large depot buildings. Furthermore just as motor vehicles have got progressively more reliable over the decades, the class 66 fleet for example needs the fraction of maintenance of BR designs with no detriment to its ability to keep going reliably. If anything the issue with the 66s is the lightweight bodyshell which is far more likely to have issues than the robust and reliable engineering it contains.

As such the demise of Bescot depot building, or indeed any of the others that have vanished over the past couple of decades will have absolutely no effect on freight operations now or in the years to come.

• RMweb Gold

While what Phil says is true one problem which now exists is that fuelling is taking place at sites which are not provided with proper aprons, drainage and interceptors - which can gradually result in ground contamination and even worse damage if spillage leaks through to watercourses.  In view of the rigour that BR exhibited in trying to take seriously such hazards (and the various prosecutions which took place) l'm rather surprised by the lax standards which can now be seen at more than one site where refuelling is regularly carried out.

I agree with Mike - and I’ve seen locos being directly filled from trucks (at a location convenient for the truck) over here. I’ve often thought that they wouldn’t get away with it, in say, California. I assumed that the EPA simply were unaware of the practice.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic