Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Hi Jim,

Thanks for introducing me to the current scene, I haven't taken much interest since BR got rid of the Peaks and just as interest started to come back, EWS got rid of the 56's & 58's!

It's a real pleasure to see 'your' 56's though and I'm getting to like the newer equipment too.

Btw, Derby station looks to have had a good refurbishment, it looks quite pleasant now!

Cheers,

John E.

PS the new London road bridge, I wouldn't like to hang off the top of that, like we all did from the old one, he, he!

I agree (and trying not to get a brown nose) Jim missed his vocation; he really is a gifted photographer. It’s not gear either some of my favourites he took with an Iphone.

Best, Pete.

Just shows that knowing your subject is more important than the value of your equipment. Sometimes incorporating the small details without focussing on them can improve a picture, which is something Jim does very well with his pictures. He does the 'train in its environment' picture absolutely perfect.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes incorporating the small details without focussing on them can improve a picture

sometimes the not focussing isnt intentional!!!

most pics i post now are from my proper camera with a few iphone pics added for last minute pics, my camera is an £80 cash converters jobbie, had over £150 of pics published from it so it owes me nothing

i'll definatly be taking it with me early in september to get some pics of a class 70 in marylebone!!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Jim,

In the photo taken standing between 66194 and 66746, whats the wagon in the distance with the yellow end and big window?

Cheers

Hi Jeff,

That looks like the "guard's van" converted from a 20' container for propelling binliners.

I think they've been discussed on Rmweb and demu. (Goes to look for links.........)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

as mick says its a propelling "cabin" on an EWS flat wagon, i think its used to propel an MOD train somewhere or other

anyway a few from today, a bit of a long local job, 2 trips from saltney to crewe via wrexham-shrewsbury-bushbury-stafford

first up was a taxi from basford hall where 70802 was shunting onto its train

DSCF7587.jpg

then it was a class 70 from balderton, had to do a standing start at the bottom of gresford bank with 1200 ton, it flew up there obviously in the possession so limited top speed but it didnt half go compared to a 66

waiting to leave the worksite in wrexham at 05:50 with 70810

DSCF7590.jpg

into wrexham where we had to wait for the passenger service to reach gobowen bafore we could set off, colas tamper in the bay

DSCF7592.jpg

and into shrewsbury, again waiting for a passenger to head off to wolverhampton

DSCF7597.jpg

and eventually into crewe where we then grabbed a van and headed back to chester to pick up the next train which was 66848, you can see the progress of the track doubling in this picture

DSCF7598.jpg

DSCF7601.jpg

and into wrexham, same place as the 70 5 hours earlier waiting to leave the possession!

DSCF7614.jpg

and again, waiting for the passenger, annoyingly this time the passenger service was in the platform and we sat there til departure time, a good 15-20 mins, we had left the possession 20 late and could have had a run to shrewsbury and not affected the passenger service but they held us and we got to shrewsbury 65 late!

DSCF7615.jpg

DSCF7617.jpg

the 153 heads off past croes newydd box

DSCF7619.jpg

and so we followed him to shrewsbury and again another passenger service to oxley before finally getting to crewe at 15:00 and home

a long day indeed!!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

That looks like the "guard's van" converted from a 20' container for propelling binliners.

I think they've been discussed on Rmweb and demu. (Goes to look for links.........)

Cheers,

Mick

This link is only good for DEMU members I'm afraid..

http://www.demu.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11862.msg105581.html#msg105581

But.....

Found a few more

And here's some detail pics...

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

i believe the 56 had a tpws fault and the 66 was sent to preston to assist the southbound train, they stayed together all day until crewe on the northbound train where the 66 came off and the 56 took the train on its own, sounds like the fault was in the southbound cab only

glad i was day off!

only one pic from today, worked 70802 rossett to bescot this morning with 20 empty autoballasters

B2BFC7D2-622E-4F6B-9E7C-0ADE98CAA0E8.jpg

• Like 13

I'm beginning to like the 70's as they certainly are impressive (NOT pretty!), especially in Colas livery but can anyone state why the Colas ones are numbered as 70/8's please?

One would have thought they'd simply be 70/1's as surely FL aren't going to have more than 100 are they? Never mind 700+!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

I gather the main reason for the numbering in the /8 series is because the number series now comes into conflict with the 377/6 & 377/7 EMU Fleet which has it's vehicles numbered into the 701XX / 702XX / 703XX / 704XX & 705XX range. I'd also hazard a strong feeling that Colas Rail wanted to keep their locos in their unique /8 Series as per their 66/8s.

Thanks for the Photos Big Jim, each of them are as interesting as always and show how varied the freight side can be!

Edited by surfsup

• RMweb Gold

as mentioned probably a spirex valve,

DVTs do vent the brake to atmosphere if you try to build the brake with the handbrake on and that too sounds like popping but with added farts and grumbles, sounds awful!! it wouldnt have been that though

marcus37 will probably give you a definitive answer, after all it was him who trained me on DVTs, mk3s and 67s!