Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Hey Jim, Just got back from Willaston crossing, any idea why 66846 lost so much time between Wem and Nantwich tonight on the logs, it sounded pretty good and ok as it went through  :)

not got a clue i was 150 miles away at the time!!

• RMweb Gold

a few more pics from last night, basically had a go at improving on the leicester pics by experimenting with various settings

first up, waiting to leave didcot

DSCF6293.jpg

and into leicester, still 15 second exposures but i took a light reading from the blackness of the foreground this time and then focussed on the cab light, tonight there was a bit of cloud cover too which looked quite good

DSCF6298.jpg

by the time i got the 2nd pic the cloud started to move in quickly giving me this dramatic effect........

DSCF6299.jpg

one the other way

DSCF6307.jpg

and a loco study

DSCF6305.jpg

and then to sleep for a few hours!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

a few more pics from last night, basically had a go at improving on the leicester pics by experimenting with various settings first up, waiting to leave didcot DSCF6293.jpg and into leicester, still 15 second exposures but i took a light reading from the blackness of the foreground this time and then focussed on the cab light, tonight there was a bit of cloud cover too which looked quite good DSCF6298.jpg  by the time i got the 2nd pic the cloud started to move in quickly giving me this dramatic effect........  DSCF6299.jpg one the other way DSCF6307.jpg and a loco study DSCF6305.jpg and then to sleep for a few hours!!

That first picture is a reall nice shot.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Just one picture from last night, due to a loco failure my train had a hired in freightliner loco on the front of a dead in train 66848

I got to didcot in my van for 20:15 and my train finally rolled in at 02:15 some 4 hours late!

Due to the timings on it i managed to pick up 50 mins at banbury, an hour at bordesley and over 2 hours at leicester so i actually left there 20 mins early!!

The only stop i had en-route was in the platform at leicester purely to stop and use the loo as it was getting a bit touch and go (or touch 'n' cloth) which is where i got the picture

DCF7E980-C3B2-4ACB-B39E-15B9318D896A.jpg

Got into toton and took the freightliner loco off and run it round leaving the colas 66 on the rear where t will stay until the train arrives into redcar later this afternoon!!

Juat got back and off to sleep now before a week of working on class 70s

• Like 11

The only stop i had en-route was in the platform at leicester purely to stop and use the loo as it was getting a bit touch and go (or touch 'n' cloth) which is where i got the picture

Sounds as if this was a "Big Job" then Jim...???

How does this work then? Given that the train was running late, then left early, do you have to contact the relevant signal box and request to stop for this sort of reason, or are you allowed to just stop if you have a booked stop at that location? Likewise, if the latter is the case, then you get any early path, do they contact you first to check you are still on the loco and not got off to do what ever?

Kind regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

the box rang me to say he would run me through rather than stopping in humberstone rd for the remaining 30 mins of what would normally be a 3 hour stopover, i just asked if i had time to stop for a few mins in the platform, had there been stuff around and i couldn't stop i'd have just kept going

sometimes a box may pull off for you to keep going and you can call them to request the booked stop if you want it, similarly in leicester i normally call them when i get in humberstone rd to ask them to keep me to time as my relief does not get to toton til 05:30 and if i get there early i either have to sit round outside the yard or run the loco round, neither of which i want to do at the end of a 12 hour shift!

empty 2 or 3 ltr pop bottle as emergency portaloo works wonders for the international truckers, that 3 min relief stop could be difference when rushing for ferry ports whether you made the boat or not.

been there done it don't ask lol

• RMweb Gold

well that was an interesting nights work.....

pics will follow at some point this week but it started with a top and tail engineers train, (ews 66, 30 wagons and freightliner 66), then an unscheduled trip to kidderminster with one of the locos, and it ended up with them double headed in multi pulling 1700 tons up old hill bank! 7000+ horsepower certainly made light work of it!

didn't even make it home, ended up in a hotel closer to todays job due to the hours involved

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Amazing.  The class 70 looks even worse in Colas.  Oh well, as long as it gets the job done and keeps the rain off Jim,I suppose the outside bits are irrelevant.

i think they should name the first one "marmite" you either love it or hate it, personally i like it however its too clean at the moment! once it gets a bit of muck on it it will look better, honest

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
big jim, on 04 Mar 2014 - 09:53, said:

DSCF6350.jpg

That handrail by the cab door looks just the right height!

Thanks Jim for taking the time to tell us about your work, it opens up another view of the railway, and explains things like the EWS/Freightliner combo which as observers just puzzle us.

I think it actually looks quite good.....although those 70s have a face like my guinea pig.....

Tangled web the modern railway isn't it ? Colas driver, working EWS and fl. Locos......

Keep up the good work

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, they're ugly but I still reckon the Met Vic Co-Bo holds the title. Maybe we shouldn't concern ourselves much with the way they look if they do a good job, unlike the Met Vic!

Time will tell.