Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1476020_10202622141101426_1642167943_n.jpg

sweet!!

i think i got my Bachmann one pretty much right, just need to add a bit to the black under the windows

A894EC26-B94A-4FF2-B2E6-80E50006B3CF.jpg

8DA12407-CF5F-4E9D-BDD2-27ABFB103105.jpg

you wouldnt believe how much of a swine it was to get the line straight between the black and orange/yellow, it looks rougher than it is as the handrails are black

Edited by big jim
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That is so close that many might think you had already seen the proposals for these!!!!

I can well believe how hard it must be trying to paint those lines on all those doors after modelling American hood units.

I hope a Farish do this livery. I will be able to run it on my USA layout albeit on a flat car!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

I'm having a go at fitting the extra cooling units. Also need to alter the black under the cabside windows - strange coincidence?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53157-newbryfords-mostly-yellow-workbench/page-25&do=findComment&comment=1261822

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

and im working it back to carlisle tomorrow

been a hectic couple of days for us few drivers with wide ranging route knowledge i can tell ya!

even drove a freightliner 66 last night

Is that to replace 56302? Looks like 302 was in trouble today with 6J37.

Cheers,

Mick

Is that to replace 56302? Looks like 302 was in trouble today with 6J37.

Cheers,

Mick

and im working it back to carlisle tomorrow

been a hectic couple of days for us few drivers with wide ranging route knowledge i can tell ya!

even drove a freightliner 66 last night

66104 has been reported as working 6J37 with 302 dead... Not really been a good few weeks for Colas with there excellent reliability.

I'm at Crewe tomorrow so hopefuly I'll see you there.

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from chirk and 56302 is sat in the cripple siding, dont know whats up with it though, the schenker 66 left with the carlisle set about an hour before i got there with the baglan train with 66848 up front

Been a crazy busy week, had 3 nights of the logs with 56302 which WAS running like a dream! Then i had a night of bescot to hinksey with a freightliner loco, 66510, last night (thursday) was the baglan logs (maiden voyage from hereford for me), tomorrow (friday) is over to sinfin to work that to carlisle and then all being well the trip back should be a 47 with a load of FGW mk3s and barrier coaches!

Hopefully saturday off to recover!!

• Like 1

Just got back from chirk and 56302 is sat in the cripple siding, dont know whats up with it though, the schenker 66 left with the carlisle set about an hour before i got there with the baglan train with 66848 up front

Been a crazy busy week, had 3 nights of the logs with 56302 which WAS running like a dream! Then i had a night of bescot to hinksey with a freightliner loco, 66510, last night (thursday) was the baglan logs (maiden voyage from hereford for me), tomorrow (friday) is over to sinfin to work that to carlisle and then all being well the trip back should be a 47 with a load of FGW mk3s and barrier coaches!

Hopefully saturday off to recover!!

Hi Jim,

I saw the Sinfin tanks tonight(Friday), about 5.20pm through Uttoxeter.........I was in the queue waiting at the barrier gates, but about 20 cars back, and with a difficult view.  I could see it was a Colas loco livery, but couldnt discern whether it was a 47 or 56.?

Judging by the length of the queue, the gates had been down some time.....was it your fault, or had something gone the other way too.

Enjoy your rest.

Bob.

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

i came in to uttoxeter with the distant on so had to crawl round to the signals as i need to treat them as all being on hence why it took me a while

the loco was 56094 btw

i had a nightmare of a journey last night, 68 early out of derby but 180 late into carlisle due to flooding and multiple signal failure between shap and carlisle, ended up sitting in penrith from about 0025 to 0200

only one pic, a bit blurred but again, no tripod

DSCF5972.jpg

the train i was booked to work north never happened either, it wouldnt have run with me on it anyway as due to the problems i ended up doing 15 hours anyway, thanksfully the last 2 and a bit were asleep in a taxi

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

something a bit different tonight, a portbury to ratcliffe coal, diverted via the welsh marches so getting on at hereford (after driving a van there, what a swine of a place that looks to get to from crewe) then running to shrewsbury, round the avoider (first time for me doing that), through wolverhampton station to walsall and onto ratcliffe via leicester (but getting off in toton to drive home)

looking forward to it, not done a coal on the marches before, then when thats over its a couple of days of landor st to ratcliffe and return and then a refresh of the liverpool area

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

had a long night last night, did a train from landor st to ratcliffe and was booked to work it back to landor st, anyway it all went a bit wrong as there were problems in the power station with the unloaders so i ended up arriving 90 mins late due to a long line of trains waiting to get unloaded, ended up leaving about 3 hours late too!!

had a freightliner engine last night too, 66952

DSCF5987.jpg

which promptly decided to play up between sheet stores and stenson which involved a very "IT crowd" solution to rectify, "turn it off and back on again" which cured it thankfully, ended up getting relief at burton on trent and driving home from there, some 14 hours after i started!!

DSCF5990.jpg

off tomorrow, then refreshing liverpool on wednesday including the docks

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

back to it today, had a trip to liverpool to refresh the docks in readyness for the class 70s arriving next week, started off by driving over in a van to regents road shunters cabin where i met up with fellow forum member 40044 who kindy offered to show me the route down to seaforth, as i've only been as far as the coal hopper before, nothing taxing, couple of crossings, one of which you have to operate yourself, some fantastic remnants of the old liverpool overhead railway down there if you know where to look!

this came in as we were there.....

in the middle of running round

DSCF6002.jpg

and back on the train....

DSCF6005.jpg

then i headed off in the van, i was going to call into hattons but it was out of my way really so i continued out to earlestown to catch a train back to edge hill to refresh the route 

while i was there a northern unit headed off towards warrington bank quay

DSCF6006.jpg

and once that cleared, this came the other way en-route to LBT

DSCF6008.jpg

crossing out onto the mainline, i noticed that the crossover from the chat moss line into the loop here has been severed (you cant see it in the pics) 

DSCF6010.jpg

and onto edge hill on a northern 156 (driven this one with FNW)

DSCF6011.jpg

not much to report en route other than the foundations for the OHLE stantions are pretty much complete the whole way in to liverpool, also the bridge that used to carry the old line to widnes (Clock tower?) over the liverpool-manchester line has been removed but i'm not sure how recent

at huyton the work continues to add another running line between there and broad green(ish) is still underway

and into edge hill

blurry 150

DSCF6013.jpg

quite imposing buildings! (looking towards lime street)

DSCF6014.jpg

another 150

DSCF6015.jpg

and then back to earlestown on 150201 and home

Edited by big jim
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

back to it today, had a trip to liverpool to refresh the docks in readyness for the class 70s arriving next week,

Looks like they may be delayed a day or two because of bad weather in the mid-Atlantic.... Hope you still get to do the pickup.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Just one pic from the last few days, had a different freightliner 66 on the coal train earlier in the week which has since been swapped for 66850, here it is departing saltley bound for gloucester

E0760358-1166-415C-9376-5B6A860531D4.jpg

As ive put in the class 70 thread the first 2 colas examples have been unloaded from the ship in liverpool this afternoon ready to be craned onto the tracks and taken to rugby for comissioning on wednesday morning

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As ive put in the class 70 thread the first 2 colas examples have been unloaded from the ship in liverpool this afternoon ready to be craned onto the tracks and taken to rugby for comissioning on wednesday morning

We have to hope they don't drop them!

Got this beauty a few weeks back, Colas' latest 56.

Don't think Jim was at the helm but here's the video

Also, when are you back on the logs Jim? I sent you a PM but you don't seem to have received it

• Like 2