Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

i think those two 37s belong to europhoenix but colas have the option of hiring them if they wish (as does any other foc/toc) as thats what europhoenix do, spot hire

i dont really keep up to speed on what goes on loco wise, if i get asked to refresh 37s then great, if not i'll just wait til the 70s arrive to have something new to play with

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

70099 (70801) has appeared outside canton depot with yellow ends!

Also looking closely at the still, all the warning decals have been removed, they were in turkish though!

One for mick (newbryford) look how far the yellow ends extend!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

There also talk of Colas hiring few other 37s,might even use 37401 after its new coat of fresh paint :no:  :locomotive:

Four from preservation being quoted but no numbers confirmed is what's doing the rounds - 37025/175/401/403 hired? 025/403 are being mainlined by SRPS, I'm sure 401 could be mainlined fairly easily too. Just throwing it out there...

Edited by NXEA!

• RMweb Gold

something different today, first day back from a weeks leave and a conducting job on a tamper

conducted it to the worksite at greenbank on the cheshire lines, got a few pics, no tripod again but not too bad shots

DSCF5522.jpg

DSCF5525.jpg

DSCF5553.jpg

DSCF5554.jpg

back to the coal tomorrow though

• Like 13

Hi Jim, enjoy this thread. I live near Sleaford Lincs, and wondered if you would know about the Colas to and from Boston?

I see one at Sleaford station about 1815 on week days heading towards Boston 47 mainly but 56 sometimes. Are they empty going to Boston or full? 

Also would you have an idea of the weight of full train please Jim? Times of them would be good try to photo the 56 but not much luck.

Kind regards,

Gordon Wilson

• RMweb Premium

Times of them would be good try to photo the 56 but not much luck.

Kind regards,

Gordon Wilson

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/SLR/2013/10/28/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt is your friend! Then click on the train you require and it'll give you running details.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Nice pics, When was the blue 47 on it?

23/10/09, 4 years ago!

Bet you cant wait to drive that blue 47 Jim :sungum:  :locomotive:

Might be a while, Colas probably won't hire it again, as well as the fact it's currently stopped at Carnforth with wheelset problems apparently.  :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

worked the logs for the first time in ages today, bit late leaving kingmoor so a chance to get a few pics

these came in

DSCF5560.jpg

and collected a train of sidetippers

DSCF5561.jpg

DSCF5564.jpg

the loco for the day, 56105

DSCF5570.jpg

DSCF5566.jpg

DSCF5572.jpg

and a lot of hours later, in warrington

DSCF5574.jpg

• Like 13

I always enjoy this thread, keep the photos coming :)

I'm guessing most of us would rather see Brit diesels operating on the network but I'd be interested what your day to day experience as a driver is comparing say the 56 to the 66 - I mean in terms of drivability, comfort etc?

• RMweb Gold

today was the first 56 i've driven for a month or so, been on 66s on the coal and ballasts mainly and i must admit i have actually enjoyed working the 66s recently especially as i've had a 3 hour layover in leicester every night, on the 66 you can drop the seat right back in the big cab and get a good sleep, or even lay a coat out and get a kip on the floor in the small cab, even get your phone charged with the plug in there, like a home from home!!

still enjoy working the classic traction though, i particularly enjoy it when i get a 47, i may have to refresh 37s at some point apparently which i'm looking forward to if it comes off, cant wait to get a play with a 70 too

• Like 3

Variety is the spice of life Jim...  Bit of a weird question but what is the in cab heating like in a 56 and 66?  I imagine a 66 to be nice and cosy and a 56 to be a bit draughty.. No idea where this question has come from?? Maybe because its cold here and I'm not looking forward to getting in my cold cab.. 

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

the difference between my cab and yours scott is about 1000ft though so its bound to be cold!

105 was cold on the move earlier, it has blower heating under the seats facing the rear bulkhead so it takes a while to warm the cab, then you get moving and the draughts cool the cab!

087 has a massive blower on the bulkhead behind the driver which is a good idea except it works based on engine/loco/throttle - speed/position, so while stood still it does nowt, flat out it cooks your back (and its noisy!)

66s have a single heater which is quite good even though its a pain to try and adjust on the move as its closer to the "american" side of the cab, again it is a bit noisy though

Edited by big jim