Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Lostwithiel is so needing to be done!

Im just not good enough to do it!

Go for it Mickey! Lostwithiel offers some great potential for shunting and the cream dairy would be a great building to model. My wife asked me the other day what I would do once Par is finished and I said either St Blazey Depot or Lostwithiel.

• RMweb Gold

Once Par is finished, I may have a bash at building a full scale 2mmFS model of St Blazey Depot as it would meake sense seeing as they are both pretty much side by side. Although I would only ever exhibit Par.

We were keeping it quiet until Wadebridge has made its full début at Railex Aylesbury next year but St Blazey forms the centre piece of John Greenwood's fiddle yard and is removable so as to form an exhibit in its own right. It is has come on a long way from these early mock ups but I don't have any more up to date snaps. It is now fully operable and I have made a start on the buildings.

Wadebridge is making its first public appearance at the Bodmin show this weekend in  very much 'in progress' form.

post-1074-0-88515400-1383263558_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-07325300-1383263586_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-37216200-1383263641_thumb.jpg

Jerry

ps all in 2FS of course!

• Like 9

Very nice Jerry. Looks like you may have beat me to it on St Blazey! Looking forward to seeing it progress, will you start a layout thread for this one?? However, if I model this location it would be in the 80's period so as to coincide with the period modelled for Par. I also have other projects in mind too which are non Cornwall related....................

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Jerry. Looks like you may have beat me to it on St Blazey! Looking forward to seeing it progress, will you start a layout thread for this one?? However, if I model this location it would be in the 80's period so as to coincide with the period modelled for Par. I also have other projects in mind too which are non Cornwall related....................

Go for it Jez. The St Blazey element of Johns's North Cornwall layout forms part of the scenic fiddle yard and is set in Southern days - Well tanks, N clas moguls, O2s, Bullieds etc

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Heresy!!!!!!!!

st blazey = WR

Mickey

of Bz 

:D

I know, its shocking but technically it is only part of the fiddle yard! If we do exhibit St Blazey on its own we will try to muster up enough WR stock between us to fill it :angel:

Jerry

• Like 2

Go for it Jez. The St Blazey element of Johns's North Cornwall layout forms part of the scenic fiddle yard and is set in Southern days - Well tanks, N clas moguls, O2s, Bullieds etc

Jerry

I need to get Par finished first and hopefully get a few invites to exhibit it. If i decide not to model BZ, my future project will involve class 90's, present day activity, and hand made catenary, all in 2mmFS!

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If yourself and Mr Greenwood are doing it  i suspect it mite just be a bit good ;)

Its very much John's layout, I'm simply doing the buildings and also contributing a few wagons - and the odd bit of carpentry. John is, in my opinion, the best 2mm modeller around - I'm very much the masters apprentice. I will be starting a thread on John's slice of North Cornwall when I get a minute, hopefully in the next few weeks

Jerry 

• Like 3

Its very much John's layout, I'm simply doing the buildings and also contributing a few wagons - and the odd bit of carpentry. John is, in my opinion, the best 2mm modeller around - I'm very much the masters apprentice. I will be starting a thread on John's slice of North Cornwall when I get a minute, hopefully in the next few weeks

Jerry 

Look forward to seeing more Jerry.

• RMweb Gold

I need to get Par finished first and hopefully get a few invites to exhibit it. If i decide not to model BZ, my future project will involve class 90's, present day activity, and hand made catenary, all in 2mmFS!

Much as I'm enjoying your Par layout build, that sounds potentially even more interesting!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Much as I'm enjoying your Par layout build, that sounds potentially even more interesting!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

It's very much an "in the future" project and I may make a start on it towards the end of next year. It will be a very long term home project and the plans I have drawn up are based on a prototype location and the layout could extend to about 9m in length once finished.

However, I could very well do BZ as that would make operatiing Par even more interesting!!! That aside, I am emjoying building Par and can't wait to exhibit it!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for hijacking your thread Jeremy, I do hope you go ahead with St Blazey in the 80/90s it would make a fabulous project. John's model is full of compromises as it is essentially part of a semi-scenic fiddle yard.

I have started a new thread on the North Cornwall line in 2FS here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78121-the-north-cornwall-line/

Jerry

• Like 1

Apologies for hijacking your thread Jeremy, I do hope you go ahead with St Blazey in the 80/90s it would make a fabulous project. John's model is full of compromises as it is essentially part of a semi-scenic fiddle yard.

I have started a new thread on the North Cornwall line in 2FS here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78121-the-north-cornwall-line/

Jerry

No worries Jerry. Just checked out your thread and it looks superb!

• Like 1

Good evening all,

A very small update but a giant leap forward in my modelling. I have just finished putting together and soldering my first ever 2mmFS common crossing :imsohappy: :danced: . It's taken me all night but I don't care, I've managed it!!

I had to file out my V jig as the rails were not flowing through smoothly so this has taken up quite  alot of my time. Tomorrow I'll lay the sleepoers and fix the rails and chairs into position. Still no idea how I'm going to do the tie bar but I'll think about that when I get to it. Also need to consider how I'm going to "motorise" the turnouts on Par. Any suggestions welcome!

A shot of the crossing.

post-10222-0-64574800-1383431340_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 5

Good on you. It will look great. Its the cost of wheelsets that stops me though tbh. Its a lot of wheels to convert although the narrower flangeways do look better. I may make up a point to N standards and see how I feel.

Hello Jeremy.

That crossing is looking really good so far.

Good evening all,

Still no idea how I'm going to do the tie bar but I'll think about that when I get to it. Also need to consider how I'm going to "motorise" the turnouts on Par. Any suggestions welcome!

Best regards,

Jeremy

That is a question where you could get so many different answers. I think you are sensible to consider how they are going to be operated first as this will influence the tie bar. My other suggestion is to take a look in the 2mmSA 'TRACK' book as there is a bit of information there.

M :)

Good on you. It will look great. Its the cost of wheelsets that stops me though tbh. Its a lot of wheels to convert although the narrower flangeways do look better. I may make up a point to N standards and see how I feel.

Have you had a look at the finetrax range?

http://www.britishfinescale.com/product-p/finetrax-turnout-b6.htm

This might make a suitable alternative to those who have a lot of stock that needs converting. I'm even thinking of using this range myself as I have many vehicles to convert - the only thing that puts me off is the standard N gauge wheelsets...

I have some finetrax that I am going to use in the yard however the main lines are easitrac flatbottom on concrete. I have all the stuff, just got to build it. I am planning on keeping the N gauge wheelsets which tbh running diesel outline stuff is really not noticable. On steam I certainly think 2mm is the way to go as the wheels are very much on show but you cant even see the wheels on the diesels really so the profile is less significant visually. I understand the running through the crossings etc are better with 2mm tolerances but the N gauge rp25 isnt really that bad and I cant really justify the wheelset cost for everything.

• Like 1