Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Ohhhh! I have to come and see in 2015 mate. That would be great.

Whats the "bit on the side"?

And Did you order the last farish bargain 37 from KMRC? haha none for me... :(

Lol.

All the best.

Jack

Thanks mate. Hopefully the layout will get some invites!! My "bit on the side" is a mini layout for my Dapol A4, different era altogether, see my blog for the latest update.

Didn't get the latest farish 37 but will certainly need a few more at some point !

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Hi Ian, thanks for your comments. It's so strange that Network Southeast actually operated in the far West. Should have been Network Southwest!!

Even stranger when the NSE 50 was on china clay workings as happened in the early NSE days !!

Hi all,

I have decided to no longer make this my permanent long term project and will revert back to my original plan of Par being an exhibition layout. I have given myself a timeline of end of 2014 for completion. So it will be ready for exhibitions in January 2015 onwards. I currently have a mini project on the go too which will be my little permanent home layout for the time being, Par taking priority from late this year!

Best regards,

Jeremy

I look forward to seeing it. Will remind me of the many photographic expeditions made to the SW during the 80s 

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have decided to no longer make this my permanent long term project and will revert back to my original plan of Par being an exhibition layout. I have given myself a timeline of end of 2014 for completion. So it will be ready for exhibitions in January 2015 onwards. I currently have a mini project on the go too which will be my little permanent home layout for the time being, Par taking priority from late this year!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I'll look forward to seeing the layout at a show sometime in the future then :)

I think the layout and Par Box looks smart, any more pictures or layout updates as of late?

Cheers, Reece

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy,

I'll look forward to seeing the layout at a show sometime in the future then :)

I think the layout and Par Box looks smart, any more pictures or layout updates as of late?

Cheers, Reece

Hi Reece,

No further progress to date but I'll really need to start progressing this one come the new year. I'll probably get the signal box finished off over the coming months and I've already drawn up plans for the Network Rail building on the Western side of the station and the Wychway Inn just over the bridge.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Just a tiny update on Par 2FS this evening. I managed to get the floor installed onto the signal box this evening and have started working out where all the internal fittings will be positioned using a plan kindly drawn up for me by Craig (winterbournecm). I'll hopefully have the box finished and ready for painting by the weekend and I'll post a little photo update then.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy

Are you scratch building the interior?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes I am. I'm using the signal box interior kit from Ratio as I had one kicking around in my "box of bits". It should have most of the parts that I need plus a few extra scratch built bits and bobs to finish it off using photos of the prototype. Mind you, most of the interior will not be noticed at normal viewing distance!!

I'm looking forward to seeing Banbury next month!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Jeremy

You have rmeinded me that I ought to complete the lever frame from that same kit for Banbury South box. As with your box, most of the kit wont be used. Also need ot build a mini panel to go at one ned but whether anyone will be able to see it is another matter..

See you at Seaford.

Ian

Jeremy

You have rmeinded me that I ought to complete the lever frame from that same kit for Banbury South box. As with your box, most of the kit wont be used. Also need ot build a mini panel to go at one ned but whether anyone will be able to see it is another matter..

See you at Seaford.

Ian

I won't be able to make Seaford but I'll be at Wycrail in High Wycombe on the 2nd November so I'm really looking forward to finally seeing Banbury in the flesh.

Ok

My wrong assumption due to your location.

We are upstairs at Wycrail.

Look forward to seeing your layout progress as Par is a great location. Maybe you can get to exhibit it next to DIesels in the Dutchy one day!

Ian

I would like that. We could join them up and have some kind of shrinking and upsizing device as the trains pass from one layout to the other!

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening everyone,

Progress has been slow on Par recently but this week has been a bit of a turn around and some good progress has been made.
The Peco code 55 track has been lifted (if anyone needs any Peco track, please PM me) and a card trackbed has been laid and a start on the easitrac.

post-10222-0-60797700-1382479334_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-89220400-1382479449_thumb.jpg

The easitrac has been started, and what a difference it makes. there are two types of track in this location on the prototype. Bullhead rail and flat bottom rail, both of which are represented accurately on the model.

post-10222-0-66855300-1382479583_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-59011800-1382479633_thumb.jpg

My first turnout designed using Templot. Thought I would go easy on myself and start with a Y turnout!! :laugh: :laugh:

post-10222-0-39408400-1382479797_thumb.jpg

Next up, I have made a start on the Network rail building. Having had issues with the signal box being a bit flimsey, I decided to build this building using 1.5mm thick plastic sheet so as to get a sturdy structure, using the usual corner reinforcers.

A shot of the real thing.

post-10222-0-95759000-1382479973_thumb.jpg

And the model

post-10222-0-09233700-1382480064_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-21075300-1382480124_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-62465400-1382480187_thumb.jpg

Window frames have been put in over the course of the last few days, pictures to follow in the next post.

The signal box has had it's floor installed and the window frames are almost done.

Just waiting on some more easitrac to come through from the 2FS shop so that I can finish the track on this board and post a further update.

That's all for now, as always, any comments and tips are most welcome.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 8

You have definitely made the right decision to go finescale, as everyone has said, the visual difference it makes is striking.

I started out in 'N' Gauge when I were a lad - long time ago now and it was when Farrish were just introducing their new diesel range, a quantum leap at that time from what had previously been available. Due to the poor 3 pole motors and bad performance though, I moved to 4mm and have remained there ever since although when I look whats available to the 2mm modeller these days, I sometime wish I'd remained there!

Great period you're modelling and I look forward to seing this develop.

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

That finescale track does look very good.

If and when I get round to doing a Southern Region layout set in the early 60's in Devon then I will probably use this track.

Look forward to seeing how you progress with the turnouts.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

You have definitely made the right decision to go finescale, as everyone has said, the visual difference it makes is striking.

I started out in 'N' Gauge when I were a lad - long time ago now and it was when Farrish were just introducing their new diesel range, a quantum leap at that time from what had previously been available. Due to the poor 3 pole motors and bad performance though, I moved to 4mm and have remained there ever since although when I look whats available to the 2mm modeller these days, I sometime wish I'd remained there!

Great period you're modelling and I look forward to seing this develop.

cheers

Andy

Cheers Andy. My first Graham Farish catalogue that I got was the one where they were just about to release the NSE liveried class 47 and MK2 coaches. 2mm offers some great products now and the level of detailing is amazing. Definitely worth considering, however it does seem to take its toll on the eyesight!

That finescale track does look very good.

If and when I get round to doing a Southern Region layout set in the early 60's in Devon then I will probably use this track.

Look forward to seeing how you progress with the turnouts.

Ian

Thanks Ian! The track does make the difference and I think once I have completed my first turnout, the rest will become easier. I hope to make a start on this at the weekend.

I agree the difference is chalk and cheese. I have a big box of finescale stuff waiting to go on millers dale. I would 100% recommend using it to anyone about to start in N/2mm scale.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Andy. My first Graham Farish catalogue that I got was the one where they were just about to release the NSE liveried class 47 and MK2 coaches. 2mm offers some great products now and the level of detailing is amazing. Definitely worth considering, however it does seem to take its toll on the eyesight!

I agree.

I now normally model N scale under a magnifying lamp as its just too small for me to see some of the tiny detail bits these days.

Its well worth it though if you want to run full length mainline trains.

Good evening everyone,

Progress has been slow on Par recently but this week has been a bit of a turn around and some good progress has been made.

The Peco code 55 track has been lifted (if anyone needs any Peco track, please PM me) and a card trackbed has been laid and a start on the easitrac.

attachicon.gifPA190001.JPG

attachicon.gifPA190002.JPG

The easitrac has been started, and what a difference it makes. there are two types of track in this location on the prototype. Bullhead rail and flat bottom rail, both of which are represented accurately on the model.

attachicon.gifPA200003.JPG

attachicon.gifPA200006.JPG

My first turnout designed using Templot. Thought I would go easy on myself and start with a Y turnout!! :laugh: :laugh:

attachicon.gifPA200004.JPG

Next up, I have made a start on the Network rail building. Having had issues with the signal box being a bit flimsey, I decided to build this building using 1.5mm thick plastic sheet so as to get a sturdy structure, using the usual corner reinforcers.

A shot of the real thing.

attachicon.gifDSC04999.JPG

And the model

attachicon.gifPA200008.JPG

attachicon.gifPA210009.JPG

attachicon.gifPA210011.JPG

Window frames have been put in over the course of the last few days, pictures to follow in the next post.

The signal box has had it's floor installed and the window frames are almost done.

Just waiting on some more easitrac to come through from the 2FS shop so that I can finish the track on this board and post a further update.

That's all for now, as always, any comments and tips are most welcome.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi, nice layout :), with the NR building, I would ask Craig when that was built as I'm not sure it existed in the 1980's.

Antony