GWRPhil

• RMweb Premium

Cracking idea, turning the CMX into a RHTT (which I suppose is what it actually is... :D ) Keep up the good work. Cheers Sam

Thanks

I'd just got to the stage where was always using cmx before having running session which used up time. Now I can make it part of a running session which will be much more fun.

I'll keep posting pics as progress goes on.

• RMweb Premium

Second coat of network rail blu was applied to the cmx this morning. Once that's dried I've gotta mask up the exposed unpainted parts of the wagon carefully so that I can spray the dullcoat on and then use my airbrush to weather it. So dullcote tomorrow am and if it dries well weathering later on tomorrow.

Edited by hawkingetippyd
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Turned the layout round two days ago into it new position almost. Gotta get new legs sourced and installed at the ends then remove existing structure and add in the new central supports.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few more pics taken in better light.

post-17016-0-32148400-1377379421_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-31499000-1377379441_thumb.jpg

Once the layout is tidied up ill put some more pics of its new support and location up

Next stage is to construct the new scenic section to curve the track towards where the fiddle yard is going to be. That'll have to wait for another weekend

• RMweb Premium

Here's today's layout progress. I have constructed the support and boards for the scenic corner section. Next is to scenically do the corner and then I'll do the fiddle yard.

post-17016-0-12224600-1377974217_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-67127700-1377974255_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

here's my latest personal container project. with decals just added. need to let them dry and then dullcote them to protect them. my 2.5 year old daughter loves railway and has her own percy and thomas set so i created this for her.

post-17016-0-91626600-1378147040_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-64763000-1378147093_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

did some load testing on sunday and found that due to weight of cmx it needs to be run at the front of the rake to make it work seemlessly. not in middle as pictured below...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=313453

will post pics of new arrangement with locos on as well once ive had chance to clear my layout enough to take a picture

• Like 1

did some load testing on sunday and found that due to weight of cmx it needs to be run at the front of the rake to make it work seemlessly. not in middle as pictured below...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=313453

will post pics of new arrangement with locos on as well once ive had chance to clear my layout enough to take a picture

Bad days.

Round of questions relating to that then;

Was it cornering issues?

Was it on here or on WL? (i'm rashly assuming your curves are a tighter radius than WLs too?)

Head and tail motive power to even the forces through the rake or just head?

If running head power and dummy rear, have you tried pushing it instead of pulling?

• RMweb Premium

headf and tail motive power brings problems of its own in that two locos never truely double head and also can create other problems.

in terms of my curves. major corners are third and fourth radius settrack but most of my points due to space considerations are settrack points and so second radius. also i have many crossovers in terms of upline to down etc which due to light nature of the rhtt wagons has lead to some practise issues on Porthcressa-on-Sea.

in relation to Warren Lane. The rhtt needs to works as flawlessly as possible on the exhibition circuit. so to ensure this i will run it in both situations Porthcressa and Warren Lane in the cmx right behind the loco configuration.

in terms of running top and tail thats something i need to work on and see if i can improve on matching the performance of my two chosen locos. both Bachmann 66 colas but repaints from different models which i know run at slightly different rates.

my preference for now will be a single headed configuration of doubleheaded as though one of the locos has failed and the other has run around to complete the rhtt circuit.

Edited by hawkingetippyd
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

i'm in the middle of planning my layout extension parts and what i'm going to put on the new scenic section. to that end i have decided whati want to have as a scenic break between the layout and the fiddle yard. i have decided that i'm going to have a tunnel. so i'd like to put this appeal out to anyone reading this thread. if you have any pictures of the entrances to gwr tunnels no matter how famous (e.g. box tunnel) or unknown such as the tunnel on the old tavistock junction to launceston line could you please post the pictures on this feed. i'm going to be doing my own research but would really appreciate any help any other rmwebber could give me in terms of relevant photos..

thank you

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

i have decided from doing some research i'm gonna try and recreate a version of the eastern tunnel entrance (dawlish side) of kennaway tunnel.

post-17016-0-84199600-1379010957_thumb.jpg

Edited by hawkingetippyd