peco points repairing

Hi

Sorry if i get this all wrong as first post and new here too

my question is are there any gauges out there that would assist in repairing standard code 100 peco points

I have looked at a few posts and everything seems to be built for code 75 finescale, EM etc

As I am just begining in the hobby again (too many years under the bridge since Dad bught my first train set) I have aquired a few points that are not 100 % but could probably be used with a little TLC.

any help appreciated

Depending on how old the points are you might want to consider new ones!  If they are really old points the clearances are larger than on the newer ones and you will experience problems when running newer rolling stock through them. 

• RMweb Premium

Depending on how old the points are you might want to consider new ones!  If they are really old points the clearances are larger than on the newer ones and you will experience problems when running newer rolling stock through them. 

You can identify the earliest points because they have metal wing rails.  The clearances at the frog on these points was made sufficiently wide to accept the old Tirang wheels.  Generally these clearances are too large for reliable operation with Mainline and later Bachmann stock.  Peco were aware of the problem and advised modellers to add a 0.6mm thick shim to the frog to improve running when using finer scale wheels. 

However be aware that some of the first points with all plastic wing rails were made to the earlier standards.  From my own experience I would say that if the points were sold in the all over blue and red boxes, then the clearances at the frog will be unsatisfactory for modern rolling stock.

Regards

Ray

Old Peco points - yummy!

I've rebuilt (and still do) many a point to Livefrog, repairing it as necessary. I use copperclad sleeper strip (Marcway, Sheffield) to replace any sleepers as necessary, and file down old Peco rail to make point blades etc. A scan of the free Peco datasheet showing diagrams of the points is stuck down to a board, and I work with the point on top of that to get basic dimensions and positions of the parts. I do have a roller gauge (from Marcway, I think) but rarely use it. Having done so many, the Mk1 eyeball is the favourite gauge, over the top of the diagram, followed by a check with digital calipers and using a spare Bachmann bogie (back-to-back already checked) as a test vehicle.

A good cheap and easy source of Livefrog points. Now I've blown my cover, the 2nd hand market price will rocket!

Stewart

A scan of the free Peco datasheet showing diagrams of the points

thanks Stewart

now why didnt I think of that

and yes secondhand market was the supplier at a very nice price

wifes budget just doesnt allow me the luxury of new - well it would but i like fettlin

Archived