What have you done with your Keyser kit

• 3 weeks later...

There's a dealer in California offering two unmade K's boxed kits, a GWR Dean Goods and GWR 63xx for around $200 each. Is this a good price?

What's that in Sterling - around £150 'ish?  You can have my 63xx bits for a lot less.

Plus postage................ :locomotive:

post-4427-0-43291600-1525065664.jpg

Here's my Coal Tank with an LRM chassis as recommended by Jol Wilkinson back in January. Goes without saying that it is light years ahead of the K's chassis that it replaced, so many thanks again for the suggestion. Built as a flexichassis, with equalising beam and hornblocks on the front two axles, with rearmost driving axle fixed. Small DJH gearbox and mashima motor doing the business. BTW, John at LRM was a pleasure to deal with too!

The fact I dropped the loco off the workbench and had to repair it delayed things somewhat - maybe testimony to the strength of the Whitemetal assembly that it didn't crumple up too significantly, and only minor reassembly straightening out was required.

Cheers

Darren

• Like 11

Two lions sold on ebay today, I got snipped at the last minute, if it was anybody on here I don't suppose I could purchase the second one? https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ks-Milestones-Lion-unassembled-white-metal-kit-with-extra-assembled-model-kit-/183191102104

Sold at basically what would be the price of a new kit today, are quite rare and sought after models

There's a dealer in California offering two unmade K's boxed kits, a GWR Dean Goods and GWR 63xx for around $200 each. Is this a good price?

These two are still unsold....but I have a question, they are in boxes with a tin of paint. The only K's kit I ever bought, in about 1982, was bubble packed on cardboard so I'm thinking these are from the seventies or even earlier?

These two are still unsold....but I have a question, they are in boxes with a tin of paint. The only K's kit I ever bought, in about 1982, was bubble packed on cardboard so I'm thinking these are from the seventies or even earlier?

Jeff

These are basically quite common kits which do not command very high prices, especially as both are available RTR

May be worth a bit more if they are unmade, but built examples sell for around £30-£40, and sometimes can be better value if both wheels and motor have been replaced.

For £150 I would expect the locos to be un-built in pristine condition, with the wheels having been replaced with Markit ones and the motor replaced with a Mashima with a High Level gearbox.

Jeff

Here is a body only version  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ks-kits-GWR-63xx-loco-incomplete/382449350943?hash=item590bc1f91f:g:rh8AAOSwydpa5f28

Buy Comet chassis plus decent wheel and gearbox and you will have a much better loco

Or a complete kitbuilt one with the better older style wheels and Mk1 motor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILLS-NU-CAST-KIT-BUILT-EM-GAUGE-SPARES-REPAIR-GWR-GW-2-6-0-CLASS-63XX-LOCO-6363/332574943565?hash=item4d6f02e94d:g:0LMAAOSwXf5am9~Y

Jeff

These are basically quite common kits which do not command very high prices, especially as both are available RTR

May be worth a bit more if they are unmade, but built examples sell for around £30-£40, and sometimes can be better value if both wheels and motor have been replaced.

For £150 I would expect the locos to be un-built in pristine condition, with the wheels having been replaced with Markit ones and the motor replaced with a Mashima with a High Level gearbox.

John, yes, I suspect these are from an estate sale and from the pictures look to be all original parts. I'm only sort of interested because they are in the US but would have to build as P4 so would be wasting much of the kits......

John, yes, I suspect these are from an estate sale and from the pictures look to be all original parts. I'm only sort of interested because they are in the US but would have to build as P4 so would be wasting much of the kits......

Jeff

Is it the loco you require, as it may be far easier using a plastic RTR body, or the whitemetal kit in which case ask for a body only to keep down postage costs

Quite often the best buys are with kit built items, just put them in a paint dissolving solution, clean up the parts and rebuild 

Anyone have photos of their K class, K's kit?

Can I ask why?

I'm not 'Being Funny' but there must be a reason.

If I can locate mine I'll send you a shot.

That is not as daft as it sounds! My mate got it for me a long time ago and apart from making sure it ran OK, it has gone into the back burner drawer.

From what I remember, it is a hybrid kit.

Big K's motor but screw in wheels.

Runs OK.

Mike got it for me ;cos I have this weird project to run a model of every locomotive I have ever seen.

As a little boy on holiday in Sussex, I saw the last of the K's.

Chris.

Jeff

Is it the loco you require, as it may be far easier using a plastic RTR body, or the whitemetal kit in which case ask for a body only to keep down postage costs

Quite often the best buys are with kit built items, just put them in a paint dissolving solution, clean up the parts and rebuild

John, I don't actually need either - it was just idle interest as there was no importing involved. I do however have a P4 GWR BLT so the Dean Goods would fit....too pricey though!

John, I don't actually need either - it was just idle interest as there was no importing involved. I do however have a P4 GWR BLT so the Dean Goods would fit....too pricey though!

Jeff

The K's loco may be a bit difficult to P4, a better bet may be a plastic body, but then you will have to get the chassis wheels and gearbox. The plastic body will also be cheaper to post.

Whats the value of imports before you pay import tax, and how much do you have to pay?

Can I ask why?

I'm not 'Being Funny' but there must be a reason.

If I can locate mine I'll send you a shot.

That is not as daft as it sounds! My mate got it for me a long time ago and apart from making sure it ran OK, it has gone into the back burner drawer.

From what I remember, it is a hybrid kit.

Big K's motor but screw in wheels.

Runs OK.

Mike got it for me ;cos I have this weird project to run a model of every locomotive I have ever seen.

As a little boy on holiday in Sussex, I saw the last of the K's.

Chris.

As a Southern fan, I'm just curious.

There have been a lot of GWR prototypes, and the K is a favourite prototype, so I just want to see some examples!

Not such a weird project - would be interested to see if you could find it!

There have been a lot of GWR prototypes, and the K is a favourite prototype, so I just want to see some examples!

I too both like the Southern locos and big tank locos, these kits are rare.

The Nucast Partnership now have the masters of the Nucast range, the masters for the K class loco may be still available to be used. If so could be a good prototype to reintroduce by the Nucast Partnership, but I hear sales of existing reintroduced kits are not overwhelming

I have settled for a Langley Baltic tank loco, just struggling a bit to decide which chassis to use

G'day, all,

I'm not surprised that "sales of existing reintroduced kits are not overwhelming". I have been looking on-line for Nucast Partnership ever since it was announced that Branchlines & South Eastern Finecast had taken over the range. Even today, Google could not find a listing. The Branchlines blog has still not been updated since 2008 and the SE Finecast website does not seem to list any of the former NuCast range.

So, for those of us living on the other side of the world, where do we go to find out what is available and then make a choice as to what to buy?

Regards,

Rob (in Sydney, Australia)

OK, I'll dig it out.

G'day, all,

I'm not surprised that "sales of existing reintroduced kits are not overwhelming". I have been looking on-line for Nucast Partnership ever since it was announced that Branchlines & South Eastern Finecast had taken over the range. Even today, Google could not find a listing. The Branchlines blog has still not been updated since 2008 and the SE Finecast website does not seem to list any of the former NuCast range.

So, for those of us living on the other side of the world, where do we go to find out what is available and then make a choice as to what to buy?

Regards,

The Branchlines Blog was done by the previous owner, that's probably why it hasn't been updated for 10 years.

Jason

I am a great fan and satisfied (overseas) customer of Branchlines but can't understand why it doesn't have a website. Instead a series of illustrated price lists which can be emailed on request.

• Like 1

I am a great fan and satisfied (overseas) customer of Branchlines but can't understand why it doesn't have a website. Instead a series of illustrated price lists which can be emailed on request.

Would you be able to PM me the email address?

G'day, all,

Regards,

Rob

This is the latest flyer from the Partnership

post-1131-0-78714600-1525762542_thumb.jpg

Branchlines do not have a web presence and these kits are not on Southeastern Finecast's own website, which is quite basic anyway. Perhaps if you contact either Dave Ellis at  Southeastern Finecast or Andrew Mullins at Branchlines and explain the problems for overseas buyers in finding out what they have for sale.

One just sold on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-built-LBSCR-2-6-0-Class-K-/292540315381?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=3lCZ0YNx7Qndt%252B4H1UdZwPRXp0Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I did see that, one sold a day before for about £50 too, it was a bit ruined though. I regret not bidding, but i'm tempted by the ACE models Brass kit for £99.. I know it needs some work being scaled down from the 7mm kit, but it's brass, and it would be new, so I wouldn't need to correct any mistakes.