What have you done with your Keyser kit

I've recently purchased a K's Terrier kit on eBay but the kit didn't come with any instructions on building the chassis.

Does anyone have a copy of them for this kit? 

I have the body and a much maligned/improved chassis set up for EM gauge, but no instructions.

I seem to recall, though this is  < 55 years ago, all there was, was a couple or three tubes that separated the sides, the tubes being threaded to accept screws that held it all together.

I have a much more recent chassis on the loco now (Gibson sides?) but I'm going back to the old chassis....

I've recently purchased a K's Terrier kit on eBay but the kit didn't come with any instructions on building the chassis.

As I understand things, South Eastern Finecast have now taken over the Nucast range which I believe includes the K's kits. It might be worth your while dropping them a line. I was looking for a Dean Goods (outside frames) set of instruction and Dave Ellis was able to provide them.

To be quite honest the instructions as such were just an exploded diagram, and any 6 wheel instruction would surface. Depending on which version (wheels and motor altered) screw the frames together, bolt the motor to the chassis, make the pickups, fit them and solder to the motor.

I will have a look in the loft (all models packed away as having a new railway room built) to see what I have

Normally if the wheels and motor are the newer plastic versions might be worth swapping them for better quality ones

As I understand things, South Eastern Finecast have now taken over the Nucast range which I believe includes the K's kits. It might be worth your while dropping them a line. I was looking for a Dean Goods (outside frames) set of instruction and Dave Ellis was able to provide them.

Sorry to be pedantic, but there is no such thing as an outside frame Dean.  There were Beyer & Armstrong 0-6-0's that went before; similar but not the same.

Sorry to be pedantic, but there is no such thing as an outside frame Dean.  There were Beyer & Armstrong 0-6-0's that went before; similar but not the same.

Yep ... I know - but the K's kit always titled it thus on their boxes (though curiously not in the instructions)! Must have been something to do with wanting to save on printing dedicated labels? Though I was under the apprehension that the 2361 class was a Dean design?

post-25312-0-83587400-1509013181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lecorbusier

If I remember rightly the K's chassis for the Terrier was so inaccurate, and crude, I slung it and replaced with a fabricated chassis using Gibson side frames.

post-7336-0-83994700-1509015372.jpg

• Like 1

Yep ... I know - but the K's kit always titled it thus on their boxes (though curiously not in the instructions)! Must have been something to do with wanting to save on printing dedicated labels? Though I was under the apprehension that the 2361 class was a Dean design?

attachicon.gifs-l1000.jpg

Yes. Dean designed them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2361_Class

K's also made the 322 Beyer Goods  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_322_Class

and Nu Cast made the Armstrong Goods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_388_class

Jason

• Like 1

Had a look in my loft but sadly came up with a blank, I have 4 Terriers but they may not have come in their original boxes.

I do have a set of instructions for a K's coal tank, whilst an 0-6-2 with the exception of the rear bogie, the chassis construction is much the same.

It is the earlier 70 series which has pre-quartered wheels and a double ended metal motor (mk 2 I think). The 80 series used plastic centred wheels with the axle holes being a D shape (to assist quartering) and all but the earliest kits came with the single ended plastic HMP2 motor.With the exception of fitting the wheels to the axles the construction is similar.

In the absence of any other replies happy to scan and send 

Had a look in my loft but sadly came up with a blank, I have 4 Terriers but they may not have come in their original boxes.

I do have a set of instructions for a K's coal tank, whilst an 0-6-2 with the exception of the rear bogie, the chassis construction is much the same.

It is the earlier 70 series which has pre-quartered wheels and a double ended metal motor (mk 2 I think). The 80 series used plastic centred wheels with the axle holes being a D shape (to assist quartering) and all but the earliest kits came with the single ended plastic HMP2 motor.With the exception of fitting the wheels to the axles the construction is similar.

Thats Ok. I think I've got the idea on how it goes together.

I'm going to keep the original chassis and motor on the model as it keeps true to the model that I'm replicating.

The terrier is going to be a model of the Bluebell Railway's engine No. 55 'Stepney' which is going to be a regular visitor on my Ffarquhar layout while I'm exhibiting at shows. Will see about writing a blog about it soon.

I did ask about the 2361 but it isn't in the next few earmarked for re-release. Given that I am currently in the process of making my first ever engine kit anyway probably not a bad thing from my perspective.

Edit: The Bayer peacock looks lovely too!

Edited by outcastjack

I did ask about the 2361 but it isn't in the next few earmarked for re-release. Given that I am currently in the process of making my first ever engine kit anyway probably not a bad thing from my perspective.

Edit: The Bayer peacock looks lovely too!

I'm told that Brassmasters are working on a 2361 for the Martin Finney range

I too have a Beyer to build (one day!)

Here are three photos of the earlier chassis, the newer one works on much the same principalspost-1131-0-62753500-1509784876.jpeg

post-1131-0-88938800-1509784884.jpeg

post-1131-0-50638600-1509784907.jpeg

These older chassis are far better in that the quality of the wheels and motor are superior to the Plastic D insert wheels and the HMP motor

However both models would be improved with more modern wheels, decent small motor and gearbox and perhaps some brake gear

By the way, just got some K's plastic wheels which are push fit without the screws, I may actually give them a go on something

• 3 weeks later...

In an earlier post (#413), 5050 listed these adverts for K's "Narrow Gauge", including this Southwold Sharpie. But what SCALE are they? 

post-14107-0-43741600-1511183771.jpg

post-14107-0-11658800-1511183795.jpg

And this is what the castings actually looked like:

post-14107-0-09561400-1511183833.jpg

Someone on the 5.5mm Association Facebook webpage claims they are to 5.5mm scale. But I always understood they were to 4mm scale for 12mm gauge (TT) track, i.e. OOn3 or OOn12.

Does anyone actually know the scale these K's "Narrow Gauge" castings?

Edited by Phil Copleston

• RMweb Premium

In an earlier post (#413), 5050 listed these adverts for K's "Narrow Gauge", including this Southwold Sharpie. But what SCALE are they? 

attachicon.gifEarly K's OOn3 castings for Southwold Sharps body only -2 (advert c.1960).jpg

attachicon.gifEarly K's OOn3 castings for Southwold Sharps body only -4 (price list advert c.1960).jpg

And this is what the castings actually looked like:

attachicon.gifEarly K's OOn3 castings for Southwold Sharps body only -1.jpg

Someone on the 5.5mm Association Facebook webpage claims they are to 5.5mm scale. But I always understood they were to 4mm scale for 12mm gauge (TT) track, i.e. OOn3 or OOn12.

Does anyone actually know the scale these K's "Narrow Gauge" castings?

I can't help you for certain with the scale of the Southwold items, but the 5.5mm. scale range was intended to represent 2'-0'' to 2'-6'' gauges on 12mm. gauge track.

I certainly understood at the time that the Southwold items were intended to represent 3'-0'' gauge on 12mm. gauge track - ie. spot-on for 4mm. scale.

Regards,

John isherwood.

I certainly understood at the time that the Southwold items were intended to represent 3'-0'' gauge on 12mm. gauge track - ie. spot-on for 4mm. scale.

Regards,

John isherwood.

Hi John,

That's what I thought too! I need to dig out an early 1960s MRN or RM advert to be sure. But I've long believed the kits were marketed as On12.

From memory the 2361 class had a different wheelbase to the 2301 class so there's no advantage to re-releasing the kit.

On the other hand the new releases include new etched chassis, perhaps a body only or with a basic etched chassis ?

Do the masters even exist and if so who has them as I have been told the rolling stock is now in the GEM range ?

Edited by hayfield

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon everyone,

I have been offered a K's kit for a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST. I have looked through this entire thread but no one has mentioned this kit, or posted any photos. Does anyone know anything about this kit at all? I haven't seen it for myself so I would like to know if it's worth me having a look at and would it be worth the asking price of £40?

I'm not a collector of these things and if I buy it I would want build it to a working model to run on modern standards of OO track (Peco code 75 bullhead) - would the wheels that come with it be compatible with this?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon everyone,

I have been offered a K's kit for a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST. I have looked through this entire thread but no one has mentioned this kit, or posted any photos. Does anyone know anything about this kit at all? I haven't seen it for myself so I would like to know if it's worth me having a look at and would it be worth the asking price of £40?

I'm not a collector of these things and if I buy it I would want build it to a working model to run on modern standards of OO track (Peco code 75 bullhead) - would the wheels that come with it be compatible with this?

Thanks.

I'm not sure that this can be a K's kit - unless it's a Hudswell Clarke from a constituent company of one of the Big Four companies.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

K's did a couple of 0-4-0t locos, one being LNER the other being a Taff Vale, might it be a milestone kit ?

Anyway if it is a K's the wheels are code 75 compatible, but if they are plastic centred ones they may wobble a bit, and if it has one of those plastic HMP2 motors the chances are that it will need replacing

Having said this if the kit is a K's or another make, in good condition and at a fair price I would go for it, even if it needs a new motor and wheels. £40 seems a fair price if its in good condition

Afternoon everyone,

Thanks.

That's a good price, I'd take their hand off. The wheels are next to useless, but a replacement etched chassis frames is available from Ambis - but with EM spacers only. The valve gear is a little over scale, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make something with a little more finesse.  

Paul A. 

Afternoon everyone,

Thanks.

If the model is a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST it would be the ex TVR 'S' class no. 267 (GWR 1342). I built one of these many years ago and, for a K's kit, it went together very well. Due to the short wheelbase of the model I had it semi-permanently coupled to a small match truck with extra pickups fitted to avoid stalling on points. As built I used the K's wheels and motor which did last for a surprisingly long time but I have since reduced it to the basic components pending a complete rebuild using new parts.  £40 seems quite a reasonable price for the kit if complete and unbuilt. 

Somewhere I should have a second one built up with no cab and painted light green as an industrial shunter. It did look rather nice but never ran as well as the first, always seeming to run a bit crablike, and spent most of the time sitting in the back of sidings. I may have to dig into the "Great Lost Loco Graveyard" and see if I still have it.  

Dave R. 

• Like 1

If the model is a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST it would be the ex TVR 'S' class no. 267 (GWR 1342). I built one of these many years ago and, for a K's kit, it went together very well. Due to the short wheelbase of the model I had it semi-permanently coupled to a small match truck with extra pickups fitted to avoid stalling on points. As built I used the K's wheels and motor which did last for a surprisingly long time but I have since reduced it to the basic components pending a complete rebuild using new parts.  £40 seems quite a reasonable price for the kit if complete and unbuilt. 

Somewhere I should have a second one built up with no cab and painted light green as an industrial shunter. It did look rather nice but never ran as well as the first, always seeming to run a bit crablike, and spent most of the time sitting in the back of sidings. I may have to dig into the "Great Lost Loco Graveyard" and see if I still have it.  

Dave R. 

Certainly I would use a Highlevel gearbox, with decent wheels (Gibson or Markits) plus one of the more modern small motors, if very careful the K,s wheels may stay true, but if you need to keep removing the wheelsets swap for Markit wheels