Western Maryland-Chessie SD35

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Wonder if anybody can help me with a question on Chessie WM SD35's, I've seen pictures of these both with and without the characteristic Chessie slotted battery box. As delivered they had louvered battery box covers, does anybody know when they were altered to slotted and if all of them had the slots or just a few? Many thanks.

John

Hi all,

Wonder if anybody can help me with a question on Chessie WM SD35's, I've seen pictures of these both with and without the characteristic Chessie slotted battery box. As delivered they had louvered battery box covers, does anybody know when they were altered to slotted and if all of them had the slots or just a few? Many thanks.

John

Parts may have been swapped between the ex-WM, ex-B&O, and ex-C&O locos - did the B&O or C&O ones have the slotted ones? Alternatively, parts may have been swapped with other EMD locos. Certainly both styles are visible on B&O Chessie SD35s.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks for that, I'm looking at modelling a WM Chessie SD35 using an unpainted OMI WM SD35and and from looking at on line photographs it seems if I get the number right I can use either style of battery box cover. Which makes life a little easier as the model has the louvered battery box cover. I'd be loathe to start cutting up such a model,

John

Hi,

Thanks for that, I'm looking at modelling a WM Chessie SD35 using an unpainted OMI WM SD35and and from looking at on line photographs it seems if I get the number right I can use either style of battery box cover. Which makes life a little easier as the model has the louvered battery box cover. I'd be loathe to start cutting up such a model,

John

If you search for WM SD35s on railpictures.net there are some that appear to have no venting on the cover, as well. Looking at the B&O, C&O, and WM ones on there, the options seem to be no venting, one row of louvres (i.e two louvres), multiple rows of louvres, or a slot...

Adrian

According to the Chesapeake & Ohio Diesel Review (published 1982 by the C&OHS), the mail slot cover is to allow the battery terminals to be cleanable without opening the battery box.  The C&O SD35s can be seen in the book with single, triple, and mail slot covers...

• RMweb Premium

The slotted battery box cover was a bit of a signature touch of the Chessie System which is why I was a bit worried that louvers would look wrong, but it seems there are plenty of SD35's that lacked them not to worry, thanks for the info!

Archived