Converting and updating a Lima 4F- is it worth it?

Hi, browsing on eBay and I see several Lima 4f's for sale. Is it possible to super detail these and re-motor? Or is the model too inaccurate to the prototype to bother trying?

Dougal.

Which Scale?

Sorry, silly me, 7mm. I am converting a class 33 and the body shell is not 100% accurate, but it is close enough. I am thinking of trying the same on a steam loco- but I know virtually nothing about steam engines.

Dougal

Not necessarily so - I might not have seen this:-

7mm super detailing

in the OP - the only thing I was going to offer is that I thought the 'other' Lima 4F was 3.5mm scale.

Rgds

Andy

Well, someone used to do a chassis kit for them and there may have been a detailing kit or two on the market (or you could do your own with individually bought or made bits) but, when you tot up the cost and effort involved, you could have a proper kit built loco (though maybe not a 4F) instead.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not as dismissive of the Lima 4F as some.  It has its uses if you're on the tightest of budgets and taking the "impressionist" approach to railway modelling.  I had two when they could be bought new for eight quid a pop.  But the mechanism is pretty awful (really feeble compared to the motor in the 33) and the running gear is crude.  It really needs replacing with something better.  Once you've done that, you're halfway to a decent loco so you might as well go the whole hog and build one.

Overall, whilst I think the 33 has potential, I wouldn't bother with a 4F these days unless it was given to me.  The going rate on Ebay was about 50 quid a throw last time I looked and I just don't think they're worth that.

The H0 version is well over width (a classic example of why we have 00 gauge!) and I don't know if the 0 gauge version was merely scaled up or whether they made a better shot at it.

I seem to recall that the reversing rods on both sides made it through however.

(All 3 on eBay at present show the LHS - exorbitant BINs of £45, £89 and £135 :O )

I have been also been considering upgrading a 4F. Frames and coupling rods are available from Premier Components specifically to upgrade the LIMA model. They also do some detailing parts. Incidently, I have the H0 version which is too wide although that has more to do with LIMA than the scale!

I have been also been considering upgrading a 4F. Frames and coupling rods are available from Premier Components specifically to upgrade the LIMA model. They also do some detailing parts. Incidently, I have the H0 version which is too wide although that has more to do with LIMA than the scale!

That is interesting. Do you know if they, or anyone else does a simple re motoring kit?

Personally, I don't think paying about £40.00 for a loco is not bad for o gauge, adding detail is part of the fun and makes the hobby more affordable and accessible.

Dougal.

I have been also been considering upgrading a 4F. Frames and coupling rods are available from Premier Components specifically to upgrade the LIMA model. They also do some detailing parts. Incidently, I have the H0 version which is too wide although that has more to do with LIMA than the scale!

Not specifically Lima. Granted it's due to their wide wheels and sharp curves (and thick plastic splashers don't help), but these were/are no worse than those of other manufacturers.

I very much doubt that the width could have been reduced to scale, without using fine wheels and limiting the model to wide radii and/or flangeless centre drivers (Ugh!) Ii've managed to acquire two of these things in various job lots (one is supposedly South African (???!!) and has a large hole in the smokebox presumably for a (missing) headlight).

There are a number of firms in the GOG Traders List (you don't have to be a member to have a look) that can supply gears and motors but none, as far as I know, specifically for re-motoring the 4F.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just bought one from eBay for the princely sum of £36 including postage. For now it will have a service, 3 link couplings and a Lenz Standard decoder fitted ahead of the Mansfield Show . I'll probably have a go at detailing it up sometime, might even go as far as a new chassis, although the prospect of 60 quid on wheels is putting me off.

The OO gauge pancake motor is a disappointment, I guess the larger O gauge version would not fit. A can motor and Romford gears might be in order ;)

• RMweb Gold

Oh boy how the performance of the motor is transformed with the decoder! I've added two 4700uF capacitors for good measure and it runs really smooth. Slowest speed is a tad high even with cv 2 set to 1. I might try a couple of back to back diodes to drop the motor voltage sometime. See how it goes at the show.

For now I'm happy with my cheapie loco.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just acquired a partially converted lima o gauge 4F.

I'm tolled that an article appeared in an issue of railway modeller many years ago does any one know which year/

This one?

http://railmags.org/rm1991/1487-railway-modeller-1991-june.html

Or

www.wimrail.org.uk/mag/Corkscrew078.pdf

Archived