Culreoch

Jamie

Glad the show went well Jamie and congrats on the award!good_mini.gif

Having just had a long read through the topic, I thought I'd add a bit more background for others on the locking bolts, so long as you don't mind a mild hijack!

Auchinraith uses home-brewed bolts from telescopic brass section, seemed to work very well. Again, must be set up dead-accurately to be of any use.

Having endured three shows where alignment was completely set up by eye and very much a wing and a prayer, it was rather good fortune to be both back-to-back with Narrow Road and next-door to Whitchurch at Nottingham show in 2009. I take no credit for who came up with the idea though! The only thing I can say is that they sometimes need to be given a tiny bit of lube as they can be a bit on the tight side if you use too much flux and it gets inside when soldering them up. Mine need just that......

Look forward to seeing more stock on here btw Jamie! Once I've worked out how the blogs work, I'll try and start one up myself....

Cheers,

• RMweb Gold

Glad the show went well Jamie and congrats on the award!good_mini.gif

Having just had a long read through the topic, I thought I'd add a bit more background for others on the locking bolts, so long as you don't mind a mild hijack!

Having endured three shows where alignment was completely set up by eye and very much a wing and a prayer, it was rather good fortune to be both back-to-back with Narrow Road and next-door to Whitchurch at Nottingham show in 2009. I take no credit for who came up with the idea though! The only thing I can say is that they sometimes need to be given a tiny bit of lube as they can be a bit on the tight side if you use too much flux and it gets inside when soldering them up. Mine need just that......

Look forward to seeing more stock on here btw Jamie! Once I've worked out how the blogs work, I'll try and start one up myself....

Cheers,

Hi Jamie,

Some photos here:-

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n100/Scottish-Modeller/Bonnybridge%20-%202010%20Model%20Railway%20Exhibition/

Thanks

Guest stuartp

Looks like you had a productive trip, congratultions ! What was the pot for seeing as you've been too modest to mention it as far as I can see ?

(Thanks for posting the pics too Phil ).

• RMweb Gold

Well done on the show, sounds like relatively minor problems! Just been looking at yours and phils pics, nice to see it with the fiddleyards completed. Not been on here much lately so missed alot of the developments :unsure: .

Much as I liked the layout in blue, it does look great with the correct era stock. The sign looks good too, like you say the Gill sans is very nice and suggests the exact era well, though if any thing like the Waverley the stations would probably have had earlier signage anyway?

Sorry couldnt assist you this time, such are the joys of working weekends :(

• RMweb Premium

Looking at Phil's photos, the award is the Fraser Trophy - congrats for that, but what's it awarded for? Obviously, Culreoch has touched the judges - as we following its progress on RMWeb could have predicted months ago. From what I can see, you were in good company there with some very good layouts. I saw a couple of photos on your gallery, but did you actually manage to get any photos of the other layouts there yourself, or were you too busy.

So, a few more locos, a better coupling system, and it's Warley here we come :excl:

I was trying to find a working setting on the camera, but in the time available I couldn't. Those two pics, plus one on Flickr of the whole thing set-up were all that came out. Everything else blurred as I wasn't getting a high-enough shutter speed.

26power had a camera, whether he got round the show with it I don't know? Once he's uploaded them I'm sure there'll be a note left.

The Fraser Cup was the vote of the traders and exhibitors. Still amazed, and honoured.

Side-info always more than welcome Tim, the fiddle yard got a lot of attention from some groups presumably planning similar things. It's how I learn too. This thread isn't exactly cohesive and well-defined anyway (due to blog/thread confusion on my part) and I'm not too bothered.

Of the stock, well there's 45432 awaiting attention, and 46475(!) in a million pieces ready for reassembly. But there's some tasty tasty brass stuff - I might well pick that up first. Unfortunately I picked up the latest George C O'Hara book, which is going to kill productivity for a while. ;)

Edit, the new photos Stewart refers to, once they disappear from the transient display on the front page, are here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/22812-44977-in-action/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/22813-all-quiet/

Edit #2, thanks Phil for the pics.

• RMweb Premium

The Fraser Cup was the vote of the traders and exhibitors. Still amazed, and honoured.

That's some achievement for a first outing of Culreoch - I'd say stand by for more invitations, and hopefully a phone call or email from Mike Wild or Chris Leigh as well.

As you asked so nicely, they are here:  http://www.devorgilla.fotopic.net/c1904436.html Sorry, not very many.

Also, first stab at uploading a picture onto here directly.  The Fraser Cup holder:

post-7031-016491400 1286404389_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

26power

Edit for web address

26power had a camera, whether he got round the show with it I don't know?  Once he's uploaded them I'm sure there'll be a note left.

The Fraser Cup was the vote of the traders and exhibitors.  Still amazed, and honoured.

Hi Jamie,

It was nice to meet you briefly on your wonder round to the DEMU stand - congratulations on a well deserved trophy! Just wished I had had more time to wonder about the show more but we were kept busy in the second hall.

Hope to see you out with your layout again.

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photos, John, the link didn't work, so after a bit of fiddling, I found it at:

http://www.devorgilla.fotopic.net/c1904436.html

Jamie - don't you bother your head with Dave's comments, you don't look a that glaikit, in fact, I've seen a lot more glaikit fowk at the end of almost every platform in the country.

After seeing the other exhibits at the show, you were in very good company, and some of the others were very good indeed, so the cup was won in the face of some real opposition - shame that you're in EM as Annan Road appears to have a good selection of motive power suitable for your location, and a quick hijack might have been in order! LOL

I do like the grotty Clan and the rolling stock is also suitably unclean - very typical late Scottish steam indeed - BTW did the dieasel actually come home with you after the show (hope not!)

Keep up the good work

Stewart

For the avoidance of doubt, I was responding to a cheeky remark from John, when the shutter was pressed. Hence the expression. <_<

The 24 came home and is boxed up withdrawn from service for delivery to new owner.

It spent the weekend deputising for an unwell 45161, and proved to have a very sweet mechanism, smoother than the Danish Birmingham RC&W diesels. However, 45432, 80117 and 46475 are being prepared for the next outing.

• RMweb Gold

Congrats on the win, even though you didn't build the layout (I remember it in it's early days with blue boxes on it) you've lifted it to a further level and improved an already excelent layout. B) B)

Thanks for the coments on mine...

Guest 40-something

Well done on your cup Jamie!

My club was there with Annan Road, I couldnt make the show as I was in Dublin. One day I'll see your layout in the flesh!

Aye, Well done lad. The photograph of you with the medal is really nice. I'm hoping to see you and Culreoch soon (Wakefield exhibition would be grand) but probably next year eh?.

You did a fine job with the 24; keep us upto date pal.

cheers

Andy

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I just decided to set the layout back up to consider what needs done over Christmas to prepare for next year's shows. That and play some more with the camera, now that I know my way around it's functions a bit more than previously.

The idea of ice in the stream is compelling, but no, it shall be forever overcast but dry at Culreoch!

Archived