Culreoch

Jamie

Won't be much earlier than that - the bus is an early early Y type, on a late '63 reg plate IIRC. Used it (loosely) as inspiration for my EFE rehash:

post-6670-076442800 1284054229_thumb.jpg

back in 2009.

Now there's a project I need to redo properly sometime.

Edit - by late 63 reg, then that'll be just prior to Aug '64, won't it :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Stevie from Ayr MRC was asking how the layout was getting on in another thread. It dawned on me that not much had been seen here, so a quick update:

The East traverser has been successfully indexed using square brass tube:

post-6670-051721000 1284894817_thumb.jpg

and I'm today working on the West one, with a single feed line it'll be much simpler. Yes, the inner tubes have still to be cut to length in the above pic.

In parallel, I've sold my morals down the river by buying a Bachmann Derby type 2. It's fine as long as you don't look at it closely - and will do in the interim, as cover for missing steam locos that just won't be ready in time for the show. Ingredients:

post-6670-000249200 1284894826_thumb.jpg

I am coming round to it, a little, now it's running in EM and a bit dirtier round the edges. But more on that loco project later.

• RMweb Premium

the bus is an early early Y type, on a late '63 reg plate IIRC.

Yes, lovely model, I remember these on the Irvine Valley run when they were used occasionally instead of the more normal PD3 double deckers. What fleet number does your bus carry - Should be DL something, as this would have been garaged at Dumfries and would have been on a Leyland Leopard chassis.

I see that Mr Cross is holding the bus up as well.

Yes, lovely model, I remember these on the Irvine Valley run when they were used occasionally instead of the more normal PD3 double deckers. What fleet number does your bus carry - Should be DL something, as this would have been garaged at Dumfries and would have been on a Leyland Leopard chassis.

Indeed. Not sure the bus will make the director's cut, Culreoch's meant to be the back of beyond, almost as remote as Loch Skerrow. It bears an IL prefix number - Inchinnan? - as that's what the donor model had printed on. Could use a good photographic survey of one of the preserved ones for when I revisit the bus.

By my time in the valley, they were regulars up to Darvel and back. I moved out just prior to the Souter & Gloag show taking over.

Lovely Y-type, must find an excuse for one. ISTR way back seeing a C-road signposted somewhere around Hull; might have been Staithes Road, Preston

Well, once geographic decisions are made the excuse will be easy to find, I'm sure B). Only the livery and body details might change.

As for C-roads, I've occasionally seen them referred to by number on roadworks signs, and public notices but not in general use so far as I can remember.

--

West fiddle yard now commissioned. Almost finished.

Back to the 24 for now, and to contemplating green, tablet recess fitted 20s to plug the remaining hole in the fleet.

• RMweb Gold
Well there's always SOMEONE holding the bus up!

-nice to see the Bachrat - if anything you'll enjoy the easy conversion, and surefootedness, yes they are not quite right but there are horses for courses, take pics of the pretty loco's and run the ones that run! ;)

Well there's always SOMEONE holding the bus up!

-nice to see the Bachrat - if anything you'll enjoy the easy conversion, and surefootedness, yes they are not quite right but there are horses for courses, take pics of the pretty loco's and run the ones that run! ;)

I've seen those red and cream speed merchants out your way...

To be fair, I'm coming round to it more and more.

Splat some sooty greys about the roof, some dirt beiges on the underframes and feathered up the bodyside and it's looking quite good.

I might well forgive it.

Hi Jamie,

Glad you got your fiddle yards working looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh when you come to Bonnybridge in 2 weeks time.

Hi Bruce, looking forward to it myself. Still a few things to sort out but at least it's now fully operational.

I can maybe sleep at night now. :blink:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie

Glad to see you've got the fiddle yards sorted out - there's nothing like a good fiddle. Let us know how the exhibition goes.

Somebody beat me to it on answering the bus number - yes garage code I was Inchinnan. The Western's numbering system was very unusual, the first letter was the garage, the second indicated the maker of the chassis, but with double deckers, it was usually the LAST letter of the maker's name - D was Leyland, N was Albion, and R was Daimler. The single deckers used the first letter, but there were odd variations, as Leyland Tigers were T and Leopards were L.

To be fair I was sure it was Inchinnan, just leaving a question mark in case I was talking out my posterior... again!

24 is ready for action. Sadly while I'm happy with it in the flesh, it looks awfully streaky through the lens.

post-6670-099082200 1284981238_thumb.jpg

All it needs now is a S&W loop then it's into the stockbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Fonts of no knowledge...

A spot of signwriting, just to end the first phase of my modelling journey with Culreoch.

post-6670-053409200 1285873944_thumb.jpg

Not bad for a couple of tins of emulsion and an MDF offcut!

Brown and cream - a bit Western-region, but I think sky blue is over played, and over rated. If I had time to fathom out / research the font used by the LMS I could have gone that road (and it would have been authentic in this colour scheme), but I'm sad enough to have a favourite font, and that's Gill Sans anyway.

--

I mentioned the phased nature of the last year's modelling, well the layout is now in "exhibitable" state - as was my plan: a full set of stock, fiddle yards and (most) presentation issues addressed.

After the show, I'll make a start on phase two - which is to improve the standard of the fleet and improve its relevance to the prototype while I'm at it. A good number of additions, several substitutions, and one or two subtractions are planned. The cl.24 above won't come back to Glasgow with me, so I'm starting already :lol:

Don't forget to get a more reliable crew too mate...!

Liking the Gill Sans, it's my favourite too!

Dave.

Aye, bit of a b*gger this weekend, twist of fate - but it'll be fine, I'm sure. I'm infamous enough on the exhibition scene up here, and a couple of non-online friends are likely to appear and will hold fort when need be.

• RMweb Premium

Aye, bit of a b*gger this weekend, twist of fate - but it'll be fine, I'm sure.

Twist of fate my @rs......smile.gif Modern japanese technology screwed me up well & truly! - Never mind a scandinavian replacements just around the corner. Sadly going to miss Culreoch though! - Best of Luck Jamie.

Yes, break a leg.  (Is that right for model railways???)

Sounds like I'm not the only one to renage on an offer of asistance?  Still hoping to manage on Sunday, but will need to limit drink intake Saturday night!

Your sign looks pretty like a "lamp tablet" - station name in platform gas lights.  Will keep an eye on auction catalogues to try and check if I'm havering or not.

Good luck!!

Cheers 26power

Hi Jamie,

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Bonnybridge and you didn't have too many probs. Was nice seeing the layout only ever saw it in model press.Had a couple of 'Blue' loco's in my pocket - but everytime I came round you were there! :D was hoping to sneak them on!

Bill.

...Had a couple of 'Blue' loco's in my pocket - but everytime I came round you were there! :D was hoping to sneak them on!

Bill.

Ah, - you're a fly one, I'll be watching in future!

Yes, I really enjoyed the weekend, it was hard work on the Saturday, but enjoyable none the less. The show did look to be very well balanced, and had some superb layouts - Annan Rd, Bruce's Manor Lane and Elliot Bridge all catching my eye when I was on the prowl. Rosebank I didn't get through the crowds to see, this time.

I'm still a bit lost for words, it seemed to go down very well - most folk who stood to watch it took the time to speak to me about some aspect or other.

Thanks to the Bonnybridge club both for the invite, and for keeping an eye out for me over the weekend ensuring that I was allright. In that respect the other exhibitors were very kind - the EK MRC boys especially for releasing one of their crew to take the reins of Cully on Sun morning for a spell, and coming round later on to see how things were going.

John "26power" came to help out on Sunday afternoon and I'm again much obliged, on Sunday it was running very well, Saturday saw a few short formations sadly until coupling issues were resolved.

Biggest lesson learned is that I need to find some more reliable coupling systems - those were the only flies in the ointment.

Archived