Culreoch

Jamie

Guest TomTank

What a lovely layout Jamie, I love the sense of realism you get from the layout :)

Out of interest what do you use for the long grass on the embankments and lineside?

Tom

• RMweb Premium

My 101 should have featured on this thread by now - it's a rebuild of the Hornby model. Along with my Clan, this is a favourite. Don't ever want to do another, and can't face the centre car yet either. But hey, who needs 1st class?

post-6670-128078612562_thumb.jpg

Sorry to pee on your parade but shouldn't the 101 have rain strips only above the doors?

(He writes with confidence having messed up a Lima body trying to file them off)

Bernard

Sorry to pee on your parade but shouldn't the 101 have rain strips only above the doors?

(He writes with confidence having messed up a Lima body trying to file them off)

Bernard

I believe the continuous rainstrip came after refurbishment, individual above the doors on the original version, although a photograph somewhere will probably prove that to be incorrect.

I have a 7mm Bachmann pair waiting to be detailed, it has both and the way it is made I don't think I can easily get rid of the continuous one, so in the drawer it sits until I can sum up the courage to start cutting/filing as it was a serious investment, for me anyway.

I hope I can get the finish on mine to look as good.

regards

Stewart

Yes, I'm aware of that one (discussed at the time in the Gallery here). Fixing it falls the wrong side of the effort/benefit cut-off line I'm afraid.

Given the lack of finesse everywhere else in the fleet, it's only consistent. :)

Hi

Hadn't looked at this as closely as maybe I should have before.  You've already mentioned a possible third drawer runner.  

It might be worthwhile adding thin strips down either side of the actual sliding board (on top).  These would strengthen what looks like just a flat board, maybe help anything on the outside tracks crashing to the floor and give somewhere to get a hold when sliding back and forth.  Maybe your drawer runners will be smoother, but traversers I've built/used need a wee bit more effort than you would think to start them moving ("unstick" them), with the result that there is a bit of a sideways force on the stock.  

No doubt you have this all in hand!  Anyway, just some thoughts on seeing the picture again.

Cheers,

26power

Traversers: not as difficult as is often made out.  Certainly no work of art with my lack of woodworking skills, but it's functioning beautifully smoothly.  A few finishing touches, then onto the next one...

post-6670-128065373759_thumb.jpg

Most of it in mind, if not quite in hand yet 26p, I hope to get back to the sawbench soon.

Don, I fear the original thread(s) have been lost to time, dating back several RMWeb incarnations to 2006.

Jamie, that's a shame! I had had no reason to refer back.

I assume that none of the "Hull Mafia" kept copies of their inspirational musings? The constructional photos I would have thought still exist on the constructors' PCs ? I can't remember if it ever featured in one of the magazines.

This illustrates the advantage of hard copy over the etherial quality of the internet, where large numbers of sites are privately owned and maintained and oh, so easily lost or discontinued. (Not trying to start an argument here, BTW)!

The converse is that sites like RMweb carry so much more, readily accessable, instant information, sometimes even catalogues of failures as an example of what not to do. But then we all knew that! :)

Sorry to wander off-thread. I shall continue to lurk, admiringly, in the background.

For Bill (Dunmar), the structure of fiddle yard. 1" square stripwood diagonal to brace it, three cross members will bear the sliding runners:

post-6670-128139157602_thumb.jpg

Another grabbed cameraphone shot, however I think the gist of it makes it through the soft-focus. I took some more, but they add nothing more to the story.

This one's far better made, now that I know what I'm doing. Finish it off tomorrow all being well, and then I can breathe easy until I get the track ordered and delivered. B)

Back to the 'leccies and/or the stock workbench thereafter.

Thanks for the pic Jamie - will be interested to see which method you favour for powering the traverser to your main board. Will be watching your progress as I can't make up my mind whether to use a traverser or cassette system for " Kinlochewe " :(

One rail on every road will be linked to the layout common return. The other will probably be energised through a brass 'bolt' arrangement, which I've yet to fashion. Well, that'll work at one end where I've a single line feed.

At the other I've two lines coming on, so will need either two 'bolts' or some work-around. And much more care in laying the rails such that both Up loop and Down loop lines are in position.

I decided on the traverser as I don't trust myself with more than loco + 2 coaches, for fear they hit the floor. :mellow:

You'll be more than welcome to have a poke around the workings when the layout is out and about.

Hi Jamie

The original traverser our club use has, if I remember correctly, the traverser wired as a section and each track within that one section has an on/off switch - bolt only used for alignment.  Works fine - never seems to have been a temptation to drive a train off the end of the traverser.  If I remember correctly the next one we built was similar - certainly still doesn't use the bolt for anything electrical.  First one single track and serves as yard for a terminus.  The second one used with a double track layout - can't now remember the exact setup, but can check.

For your double track situation would think having each track on the traverser as a section, with left and right positions for the controllers (I'm assuming you'll have two) and a centre off position seems simplest.

For the double track you need quite a bit of slide, so that outermost tracks on traverser can match up with both "in" and "out" tracks on layout.

Don't remember much problem in setting up twin tracks at join.  Seems logical to do one pair of tracks, then move across one track at a time and match up next one - piece of cake for you!!

The biggest difficulty I seem to recall is getting bolts that are accurate enough to fix alignment.  We used your bog standard brass household bolts and there is/was a fair bit of slop.  On the first one my recollection of the operation (a while since used) is that easiest if you align tracks by finger feel and only use the bolt as a security feature - this is in OO.

Cheers,

26power

One rail on every road will be linked to the layout common return.  The other will probably be energised through a brass 'bolt' arrangement, which I've yet to fashion. Well, that'll work at one end where I've a single line feed.  

At the other I've two lines coming on, so will need either two 'bolts' or some work-around.  And much more care in laying the rails such that both Up loop and Down loop lines are in position.

For your double track situation would think having each track on the traverser as a section, with left and right positions for the controllers (I'm assuming you'll have two) and a centre off position seems simplest.

Possibly. I'd planned on just powering/isolating it from the adjacent track, and whichever controller is connected thereto. I'll have a rethink before committing on that one.

For the double track you need quite a bit of slide, so that outermost tracks on traverser can match up with both "in" and "out" tracks on layout.

Yep, I think this is going to mean more storage at the East end than is possible at the West end, there's an argument (however tenuous) that this is prototypical ;)

Don't remember much problem in setting up twin tracks at join.  Seems logical to do one pair of tracks, then move across one track at a time and match up next one - piece of cake for you!!

Indeed.

The biggest difficulty I seem to recall is getting bolts that are accurate enough to fix alignment.  We used your bog standard brass household bolts and there is/was a fair bit of slop.  On the first one my recollection of the operation (a while since used) is that easiest if you align tracks by finger feel and only use the bolt as a security feature - this is in OO.

Auchinraith uses home-brewed bolts from telescopic brass section, seemed to work very well. Again, must be set up dead-accurately to be of any use.

Cheers again 26p, good to have these things thought through before breenging in and hoping for the best, as I'm prone to do.

Work continues on the fiddle yards, this is the Western one. A satin white spar along the front provides suitable handling space, and a border of some plastic L-angle I had kicking about should prevent all but the most ambitious mishap. Clearly, the approach lines are still to be added. Suitably gapped lengths of copperclad strip hold the rail ends in position.

post-6670-128180778796_thumb.jpg

I have checked that all traverser roads will align with either of the exit/approach tracks. The picture shows the bed in position for only the nearest road to line up, ie the furthest away position.

And I think that's about it as far as the story of the fiddle yards goes, not much to see from here on in.

Hi,

I like the look of your traverser - looks pretty straight forward and purposeful! You might just have made my mind up about what form my own fiddle-yard should take ;) . Keep the pics coming as you progress!

Bill.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie

I've been following your thread and blog now for some time, because as you know, it's my era and my area, as the GSW was my stamping ground 1960/67. I was tempted to join in the banter about Scottish heritage, tenements, jeely pieces, fish suppers, etc, but for once I refrained from doing so, as I was much more interested in the layout, its development, and how you would be providing the stock. You've done a cracking job in refurbishing Culreoch and getting it backdated and into full exhibition fettle. I feel that the layout will now start to fulfil its true potential and have enjoyed seeing you recreating my youth.

I think your choice of motive power and rolling stock is about spot on - Black 5s work just about anywhere and my only argument is that a 67B example would have pleased me better than 67C (LOL). As to the Clan, you are not stretching anything using that - they were fairly frequent visitors, and as they had very little "real" work to do, the sheds sent them out and about on almost anything.

I also see that you plan to have a pickup goods with a 4MT tank - don't forget that you can get a bit of variety by putting them on the passenger services as well, as that happened quite frequently. The late Mr Cross shows Driver McCann on one such in "On Glasgow And South Western Lines". I also like the Metro Cammel DMU - the Hamilton units did turn up all over the place - they often turned up at Kilmarnock so there's every chance that one strayed into your sphere of activity.

I'm unlikely to be at Bonnybridge, but I wish you well, and hope to see Culreoch somewhere. Hopefully a successful exhibition will result in more bookings - perhaps even a little South of the border.

Oh well, I can't resist joining the banter - used to do this one when I sang around the English folk clubs about thirty years ago (and nobody had the first idea what I was talking about LOL)

Oh ye canna fling pieces oot o' twinty storey flats

Seven hunner hungry weans will testify tae that

Be it butter cheese or jeely

If the bread be plain or pan

The odds against it reachin' earth

Are ninety nine tae Wan

Regards

Stewart

Thanks Stewart for the kind words.

Hurlford shed remains a bit of a mystery to me. I've developed a 'feel' for Ayr shed's stock and work through text info and through photographs of the locos at work. But not so much the shed at Barleith, more elusive and (it seems) less documented.

Those with knowledge both of the GSW generally and PPW particularly will spot holes in the current fleet - there's no Crabs, nor working 4MT (80117 isn't running yet, nor my 76xxx) nor Fairburn, to name three types. But there's plenty of time to sort that.

I'm sure the layout will appear close to the border before too long, perhaps on your side as well.

• RMweb Premium

Hurlford shed remains a bit of a mystery to me. But not so much the shed at Barleith, more elusive and (it seems) less documented.

I'm sure the layout will appear close to the border before too long, perhaps on your side as well.

I look forward to seeing it (and meeting you) some time.

To those not in the know, Hurlford and Barleith are one and the same, as far as the shed is concerned - Barlieth was the station on the Darvel branch, and was actually located in Hurlford.

As to the mysteries of Hurlford, it had a quite unusual allocation, right up to its closure - it had a Fowler 4Fs (some of the few in Scotland), LMS 2Ps, Crabs, Black 5s, and a clutch of ex Caley 2F and 3F tender types, and also quite a large allocation of Standard 3 77xxx tender locos as well as the more normal Standard types - it also hosted a Crosti 9F as a visitor on at least one occasion and I have it on very good authority that the speed attained on one of these test runs was never reported to authority, but was pretty close to a ton, (or maybe just over!).

I managed to bunk the shed on several occasions, but as to how I got in there, less said the better!

Yes, the local knowledge came in there. Hurlford shed was (more-or-less) adjacent to the old Kilmarnock-Cumnock main road, at an area known as Barleith. The name and cottages remain, though not a trace (AFAIK) of the shed is left. Now a Diageo facility.

I guess part of the appeal of the Port Road, is that it was cut down in it's prime, not festering and shrinking gradually and painfully like the GSW mainline. It's bouncing back now with the Annan and Stewarton works, but it's had a hard time.

When I think of all the closed routes out of Kilmarnock, the work done by and death of 67B is explained.

• RMweb Premium

When I think of all the closed routes out of Kilmarnock, the work done by and death of 67B is explained.

Indeed - all the routes out of Kilmarnock sort of went at once (Darvel, Ardrossan, Ayr,and The Long Road), and a lot of the goods traffic went as well - what had been a main line with branches off it suddenly became a secondary route which almost succumbed itself. There is no trace of 67B now, and even the Diagio facility (once Johnnie Walker) which was rail connected and generated a little traffic is no longer - when I passed there a couple of years ago, the track was not in evidence.

I could never understand why the Port Road went - it was so obvious that it was really quite important in the scheme of things, and when it went, that was a guarantee that all the Irish traffic would wind up on the A75.

I am pleased that you are going to exhibit this line via Culreoch. I saw in one of the glossies that somebody has already done the GSW main, in a similar era - although not for exhibition AFIK.

Once you're done why not try Ballochmyle as a diorama challenge - you'll have the stock! The viaduct would probably take a huge amount of Plasticard to do it justice.

What was The Long Road Stewart, don't recall that one - to Irvine?

I rarely read the model press, but a couple of 1960s G&SW layouts to look out for are Mike Bisset's "St Marnock's shed", very impressive in 7mm scale, and "Annan Road" in 4mm which is very evocative of Dumfries shed and with the mainline passing by. I don't know whose layout that is off hand.

Ballochmyle I could do from memory, such is the number of times I've walked under and around it. :lol:

Archived