Culreoch

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks both. Little has been done since April, the odd wagon and a DMU. However I've stuff to do to the layout proper both this month and next. Dull stuff behind the scenes, so I'm steeling myself for it.

In the meantime have a pic from the archive:

Both the original builders of the layout, and in parallel my own modelling have been heavily influenced by the photography of Derek Cross. In homage, a model of his Sunbeam Alpine of the early '60s has been created, and features on the layout. It dots from place to place each time the layout goes up, here it sits in the junction of the farm road-end, beside Kashmir cottage.

(pics in abeyance - being transferred to Flickr 7/12)

Guest Max Stafford

All you need is a figure of 'The Big Man' in his deerstalker and 'plus fours'! :)

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Oh that reminds me of a weee story I heard when I wis workin' in the ya-ards...! ;)

Dave.

First of the summer's work on the layout complete. Now with no smoke and mirrors, no pokes from hands of Gods:

post-6670-127645043852_thumb.jpg

post-6670-127645045209_thumb.jpg

post-6670-12764504661_thumb.jpg

All at a flick of a switch. Signal by original builders, the lower two devices in the shot below...

post-6670-127645050876_thumb.jpg

... by MSE / Embedded Controls, leaving only the blood (0.8mm hole in my leg) sweat (much) and tears (not that many) by yours truly. (The third device seen in the pic is a electromagnet for the couplings)

Cool. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch in awe as the wee arm moves when I flick the switch for a while.

All you need is a figure of 'The Big Man' in his deerstalker and 'plus fours'! smile.gif

Dave.

Billy Connolly?

No, he's not "The Big Man", but "The Big Yin". (Thinks - must suggest that next time somebody brings up the question of a name for the projected neo-Gresley P2)

No, he's not "The Big Man", but "The Big Yin". (Thinks - must suggest that next time somebody brings up the question of a name for the projected neo-Gresley P2)

Thanks bluebottle, you have cheered me up for the rest of the day.

I accept it's probably not how it was meant, but "The Big Yin" I just love it, I keep smiling when I repeat it to myself, brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

I have never seen it written out like that before, as it is pronounced "The BigYin" with little or no gap between big and yin (although that may be my own Glasgow accent to blame) and I think it's great.

Back to the layout, very interesting signal control, looks good, I will investigate further with the help of Google, is it noisy?

regards

Stewart

... looks good, I will investigate further with the help of Google, is it noisy?

Wizard Models supplied my pair - believe due to be replaced with a new (similar) product - that will presumably be the "box o' tricks" being replaced. Noise wise, no worse than a tortoise point motor.

Quite cool, clears slowly (not unreasonably) then returns to danger quicker. It should "bounce" slightly but this is lost through the linkages on the bracket.

Latest addition: a 12A Clan. Unloved and apparently kept utterly filthy throughout my '63-'65 period, it took a fair few brave pills to bury the beautiful Hornby finish under so much grey, beige, brown Humbrol to try and replicate the grime (especially avoiding brush-strokes).

(pics in abeyance - being transferred to Flickr 7/12)

Guest Max Stafford

A good, convincing finish it is too. Appears to have that elusive gritty 'shine' where it catches the light too. Excellent effort again!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold
Cool. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch in awe as the wee arm moves when I flick the switch for a while.

- working semaphores are definitley something that not every layout has but yet for those who can be bothered must provide extra hours of fun- specially if you can get that bounce when the arm returns to danger? B)

Sun-gods, rain-gods and midge-gods in my case

the first two are working, not sure about the third, and I'm pretty sure the distilleries will be giving different prayers to the rain gods- some of the ones round here have their own springs which have dried up!

Latest addition: a 12A Clan. Unloved and apparently kept utterly filthy throughout my '63-'65 period, it took a fair few brave pills to bury the beautiful Hornby finish under so much grey, beige, brown Humbrol to try and replicate the grime (especially avoiding brush-strokes).

Congratulations on getting up the courage to go that far with the weathering, Jamie. That's just about how I remember them - "utterly filthy", as you say.

Ohhh jings, does that take me back.

Although at that time my interest had moved to Triumph Twins, I always felt a bit sad when they let "namers" get into that state (especially "my" Clan 72009) but they did, and that rendition in my opinion, is as good as it gets, I can almost feel the heat.

Quality.

regards

Stewart

Thanks all for dropping a line with your thoughts. Relieved not to be advised (yet) to dig out the Nitromors...

It did turn out like that more through luck than judgement, mind.

Not sure what I need to do next, loco-wise. Think I need to add a couple more steam locos in the 4-5MT range before any more 'big stuff'.

Archived