Culreoch

Jamie

Thanks for the photo Paul. You were as well not to hang about as I was gonna collar you for a spell behind the panel ;)

The picture shows 72008 on its standard duty, the parcels rake. It's held waiting entry to the single line while Dave Franks' Airfix/Perseverance 4F is recessed in the siding with one of the two Lanarkshire Model Supplies track-cleaning brake vans on the layout at the weekend. These two little devices meant that on Sunday evening all the locomotive wheels are as shiny as they were on the Saturday morning. And I'm not saying that through bias.

If anyone else has pictures, I'd welcome them to the thread (so I can have a nosey). I got nothing usable myself. (edit - hmm, I recall being in a portrait or 2, do I really want that on the web again? probably not)

We had a great weekend at Nottingham. A superb show, maybe a bit far for myself to attend annually as a visitor but you know what - it might just be worth considering doing that next year. The stuff on show really was that good. If I have to mention one, well go for a look at Jon's Sweethome Alabama layout documented in RMWeb's US/Canada sub-forum. Incredible stuff, every bit or better in the flesh.

Big thanks to our hosts for the invite - an honour. Also to the team - Dave, for the help all weekend, the transport, the stock and the banter. Claire, Rachel and Matt on Saturday for letting us get our sanity back when fatigue set in badly, then Ken, Ian and Brian on the Sunday for letting us out for lunch and a zip round the show. They managed to conceal any horror they might have felt at anything I might have done badly on/to the layout anyway.

We had Jan and Gary beside us on Glenuig, which was only going to mean one thing - a barrel of laughs. From flying seagulls in 4mm to 'how to pronounce Dalzell properly in a Black Country accent', I think we covered it all. :)

(Oh, and the Kingmoor tea howff was duly visited - service with an A2 to examine while you wait, don't get that at your average greasy spoon!)

Perth next then folks.

...then Ken, Ian and Brian on the Sunday for letting us out for lunch and a zip round the show. They managed to conceal any horror they might have felt at anything I might have done badly on/to the layout anyway.

No problem, and no horror - everything ran a treat, the signals were fun and you and Dave have a nice selection of stock there - the Crab looked particularly apposite, hint hint...

Hi Jamie,

Looks like you all had a good time, I am glad you like Nigels track cleaning brake vans as I have been thinking of getting one for Llanbourne.

Have you any other shows booked this year?

Cheers Peter.

Nigel at Nairnshire did sell them for a while but they're now sold direct from the manufacturer via: http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/

Very simple, very easy to install, even if like me you make a bit of a hash of it by not reading the instructions first. I'll dig out the clan or DMU which ran all weekend solidly, and show the results.

I've two more outings this year - up North to Perth in the Summer, then just a mile or so down the road to Pollokshaws in the tail end of the year.

If anyone else has pictures, I'd welcome them to the thread (so I can have a nosey).

A corner of Culreoch.

post-7286-0-58366900-1332254563_thumb.jpg

You see so many good DSLR and bridge cameras at shows, surely some of them wielded by RMwebbers, taking better snaps than my point'n'shoot. Please share, everybody!

Oh that Crab of Dave's looks bonny on the fitted goods doesn't it! That shot's straight out of Robotham's Branches & Byways.

All three shots taken on Saturday judging by the position of the Alpine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry I haven't dropped by for a while Jamie - I've had a few problems with site navigation over the last few weeks months, and have not been able to get to some of my favourite content - great to see Culreoch - I presume from the comments above that you're not bringing it to the member's day this year?

Thanks for the photo Paul. You were as well not to hang about as I was gonna collar you for a spell behind the panel ;)

The picture shows 72008 on its standard duty, the parcels rake. It's held waiting entry to the single line while Dave Franks' Airfix/Perseverance 4F is recessed in the siding with one of the two Lanarkshire Model Supplies track-cleaning brake vans on the layout at the weekend. These two little devices meant that on Sunday evening all the locomotive wheels are as shiny as they were on the Saturday morning. And I'm not saying that through bias.

If anyone else has pictures, I'd welcome them to the thread (so I can have a nosey). I got nothing usable myself. (edit - hmm, I recall being in a portrait or 2, do I really want that on the web again? probably not)

We had a great weekend at Nottingham. A superb show, maybe a bit far for myself to attend annually as a visitor but you know what - it might just be worth considering doing that next year. The stuff on show really was that good. If I have to mention one, well go for a look at Jon's Sweethome Alabama layout documented in RMWeb's US/Canada sub-forum. Incredible stuff, every bit or better in the flesh.

Big thanks to our hosts for the invite - an honour. Also to the team - Dave, for the help all weekend, the transport, the stock and the banter. Claire, Rachel and Matt on Saturday for letting us get our sanity back when fatigue set in badly, then Ken, Ian and Brian on the Sunday for letting us out for lunch and a zip round the show. They managed to conceal any horror they might have felt at anything I might have done badly on/to the layout anyway.

We had Jan and Gary beside us on Glenuig, which was only going to mean one thing - a barrel of laughs. From flying seagulls in 4mm to 'how to pronounce Dalzell properly in a Black Country accent', I think we covered it all. :)

(Oh, and the Kingmoor tea howff was duly visited - service with an A2 to examine while you wait, don't get that at your average greasy spoon!)

Perth next then folks.

Nice one Jamie, a good time was had by all.... Good exhibition, well looked after, have reported back to the 'Alloa' mob who couldn't make it last time they were asked. Alloa layout and crew now all settled in new premises after an uncertain year or so.

Some cracking photos of Culreoch Jamie, maybe a proper photo shoot is called for, just for your own files....

Some info on the Crab as commented on - DJH kit, scratch built compensated chassis, 'Lanarkshire Models' sprung tender chassis, Ultrascale wheels all round, Mashima can motor geared for slow running. Holds unofficial record for hauling 60 wagons on Retford at less than 1MPH on the speed trap for lap after lap, god, it did take a long time to come round.... Built 25 years ago and I still have to put the injectors under the cab.

Tea and sausage sarnies were very welcome at the Kingmoor tea howff on the way home... Thanks Dave.

On the subject of the transport Jamie, who do I send the bill for the new springs on Fiona's van, sorry, people carrier? First a rear one then one of the front ones went bang (or was it boing!!) just a week after hauling Culreoch, got all four of them done last week, Ouchta - £510 please madam.

Anyway, it's all good fun,

Dave Franks.

Sorry I haven't dropped by for a while Jamie - I've had a few problems with site navigation over the last few weeks months, and have not been able to get to some of my favourite content - great to see Culreoch - I presume from the comments above that you're not bringing it to the member's day this year?

Hello! No, I think with the range of stuff on RMWeb it's as well to keep new things at the member's day. Cully's had it's 15min of fame there. I've nothing else on the cards down in England whatsoever, but if anything pops up (particularly in the NW) I know where you are.

On the subject of the transport Jamie, who do I send the bill for the new springs on Fiona's van, sorry, people carrier? First a rear one then one of the front ones went bang (or was it boing!!) just a week after hauling Culreoch, got all four of them done last week, Ouchta - £510 please madam.

Anyway, it's all good fun,

Dave Franks.

Yikes. I was going to give you a ring sometime about having put some of your sage advice into practice, but maybe it's financially best for me if I keep a low profile 'til you (and Fiona) forget! :scratchhead:

There's no weight in Cully, really...

A little addition to the locomotive fleet this weekend. Picked up at the SECC back in February for a bargain price, it'll share duties with existing 46475. I've still got all the cosmetics* to do, but I've done the re-gauging work, close-coupling and electrical modifications. (* MaxStafford, yes, that includes the chimney)

7211560766_c0905d249e_z.jpg

46479 early by culreoch, on Flickr

I haven't yet settled on an ID for this one. Stuart's picked the obvious 46467 for Portwilliam which seems to have been the photographer's choice... I might be different and opt for shedmate 46479 which seems to have been at Stranraer in parallel, just hiding when cameras were about the line. Choices, choices...

Then I'll get back to my 4-4-0(s) :)

• 1 month later...

Further to last post, 46479 as ready as she's going to be for Perth at the end of the month.

post-6670-0-03032500-1338823785.jpg

Deliberately low-res phone pic, which suggests the general look is OK. However, the finish is not good and she'll be coming back from the show to an early bath of paint stripper.

You are going to Perth show, aren't you??

(edit: sorry the pic's a bit dark too. Overhead lighting to blame.)

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jamie,

Long time no speak!

Well you knew I had to comment on this one didn't you?

Nice work on the little Ivatt. Definitely no need for a paint stripper bath either.

Comet chimney I presume?

As others have said the photos above look superb and really set Cully off. Dave's Crab looks the business too in that shot.

Cheers,

Mark

Ah, like a moth to a flame... hi Mark :)

Comet chimney yes. You might recall I was a bit apprehensive to lop the original one off my earlier Ivatt - don't know why in retrospect. Makes a considerable difference to the look of the engine.

Afraid it's really not as good a finish as I would accept - looks a bit "painted by toilet brush" in places due to the paint drying too quickly in the heat. But the colour and condition depicted aren't too far off where I'm aiming for.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jamie,

Moth to a flame! You know me too well!

Those Comet chimneys are lovely castings. I put one on my model of 46495 and certainly transforms the look of the model as you say.

I'm on the look out for a cheap LMS version to convert into an unlined black one like your model of 46479.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Archived