Culreoch

Jamie

It's been a busy weekend for Ivatts in 4mm Galloway.

Concurrently with the Wigtownshire Linesman* posting a photo of the 46467 working the first Portwilliam goods upon reopening of the line ( linked here ) by coincidence, I was putting my own 2MT back together, without much confidence in how it would run. Mine isn't a true Galloway loco, but I like mine lined out, and relatively clean. happy.gif

It is running on Gibson wheels now, and the tender is close-coupled - maybe too close, we will see.

It runs very nicely at last, and it will probably take a short goods train back and forth, occasionally popping into the siding at Culreoch when required. I need to sort out some balance weights, glue on the steps and sort the incorrect chimney. But the hard bit is done.

Next up, something 4MT or 5MT to displace another diesel from front line service. wink.gif

(*) sorry Stuart, it's too good to pass up. You've lost the Lairdship.

post-6670-0-98427700-1294782653_thumb.jpg

Guest stuartp

Good innit, when you see it trundle off under it's own power for the first time without jerking, wobbling, jamming up etc. :D The hassle of re-wheeling was why I abandoned EM and went back to 00 so respect to you for sticking at it. True Galloway loco or not it looks the part.

Meanwhile I'll just be here watching the sea birds flyin, and the sea waves crashin, as I clean mah gun and dream of Garlieston... (that Stafford bloke could finish up with a lot to answer for !)

The hassle of re-wheeling was why I abandoned EM and went back to 00 so respect to you for sticking at it.

While I had a bit of beginner's difficulty with this one, I now think my 76xxx mogul might actually be achievable and not require a full blown kitbuilt chassis. I've now learnt how the valve gear goes together, and various things not to do. So I'll get a new set of wheels and dig out that one soon.

I would reckon things are easier now than when you had a go at it, following the demise of ringfield mechanisms and (largely) horrid split chassis. Besides, I don't have the 00 option ;)

Hi Jamie,glad to read that you are booked for Rutherglen in April (16th & 17th)

I have marked it in my diary so you can expect a visit from me and my two partners in crime

to check how much progress you have managed since Bonnybridge. Now did I read on here that

you might have another couple of show bookings for this year?

Jim

PS Hope you have dried out after reading Mikkels remarks.

Hi Jim, I look forward to seeing you guys again. Don't expect too much new - work is eating up my days and nights at the moment. If I get another loco ready in time I'll be doing well, though some improvements 'behind the scenes' are required.

Any further outings are still awaiting confirmation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Well that's the layout all ready for the Rutherglen show in a fortnight's time. If you're local, well, hope to see you there.

post-6670-0-30012200-1301758099_thumb.jpg

The scarcity of posts here show that I've not been all that busy with new stuff (and still nowt new to photograph for you), but there's a definite improvement in prototype fidelity. This is most clear in the coaching stock line, where things have been reshuffled from pure fiction to a reasonable approximation of what was running in 1965. Somehow, despite little new, I've just found a need to fit half a dozen new tail lamps. :huh:

That said I'm still hoping to convince my 4MTT to run smoothly over the remaining couple of weeks and relegate a Sulzer to sit spare.

Cheers,

Jamie.

• RMweb Gold

and relegate a Sulzer to sit spare.

Noooo....keep the Sulzer in the forefront :D

Nice photo. Can I ask about the backscene Jamie?

I always remember watching the build, that for some long time the backscene was painted an off white/light grey. I too would like to do this, because I am not so convinced by the blue sky backscenes anymore - anything you can share on that would be a great help.

TIA,

Pete

Hi Pete, yep near-enough plain white sky (other than the hills).

Suits typically overcast south-west of scotland skies. :)

I think one could get away by fading in a pale blue-grey much as I've done in the photoshop job above, but like you say I wouldn't personally choose bright sky blue near the horizon.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jamie - That's the route I am going down then.

The bright blue skys are a bit too 'front cover holiday brochure' for me so I will try this approach - also suitable for West Country grey days too :D

Cheers, Pete

Well that's the layout all ready for the Rutherglen show in a fortnight's time. If you're local, well, hope to see you there.

Typical. Lived in Rutherglen (well, Chateau-du-Lait) for years and there was no model railway show. Now there is one and I can't get there :angry:

Thinks: could try setting up an urgent business trip to East Kilbride on the Friday and visiting the folks...

• RMweb Gold

Typical. Lived in Rutherglen (well, Chateau-du-Lait) for years and there was no model railway show. Now there is one and I can't get there :angry:

Thinks: could try setting up an urgent business trip to East Kilbride on the Friday and visiting the folks...

Hi James,

If you do make the trip up....

Please could you bring your CO2 Tanks for the trip north :D

Need to have a wee gander underneath and see what you put where....

Thanks

Please could you bring your CO2 Tanks for the trip north :D

Need to have a wee gander underneath and see what you put where....

Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, the CO2 Tanks belong (as credited!) to Wagon Guru Waveydavey. If he doesn't clock this first, then I'll twist his arm to take some photies at Wakefield next weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, the CO2 Tanks belong (as credited!) to Wagon Guru Waveydavey. If he doesn't clock this first, then I'll twist his arm to take some photies at Wakefield next weekend.

Hi James,

That explains it all!

Wavey davey......

Indeed - Photos needed ASAP!

I now have 5 sat at various stages on the workbench.

Will try to get Alan@York to take photos next weekend as well.

Thanks

Well done on escaping from Lanarkshire alive though ;)

Edit: penny just dropped re. "Chateau-du-Lait": :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the show Jamie.

It's too far for me to travel in my present condition, so hopefully some time ....

Oh yes, and Chateau De Lait takes us back to "you canna fling pieces oot a twinty storey flat..."

Regards

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

The layout ran well last weekend, I'd a good crowd helping out and met one or two RMWebbers over the barrier line.

The layout had a few problems cropping up over the weekend which need addressed - I need to find a more reliable coupling system as the S&W system in use failed completely to operate as desired. They could and were bodged to work manually, but this just isn't good enough. Perhaps single-ended would be better, ie either hook or loop at a given end, not both?

Baseboard alignment seriously needs addressed between my fiddle yard boards, and the scenic layout. The single-track end was pretty dire. A nice job for the long weekend at the end of the month will be to fit dowels. The MDF just deforms locally to the existing boltholes, so small plywood mounting plates are planned.

I (still) hope to add a couple more steam locomotives to the fleet over the summer to help make the stock a bit more flexible. There's two on the workbench already, as it happens. So I'll maybe write that up on the forum as and when they roll out of works.

Next outing: unknown as yet. But I've more than enough to be going on with in any case.

Jamie.

The layout had a few problems cropping up over the weekend which need addressed - I need to find a more reliable coupling system as the S&W system in use failed completely to operate as desired. They could and were bodged to work manually, but this just isn't good enough. Perhaps single-ended would be better, ie either hook or loop at a given end, not both?

Ah, That would be the trains appearing without brake vans or, in extreme cases, unplanned light engine running :blink:

I did enjoy spending some time running Culreoch on Sunday as a diversion from DMU building on the DEMU stand :D

Cheers

Andy B)

• 1 month later...

Returning to my last post (while noting it was a pleasure to have the capable assistance of Backwaterscotland last time out), I've converted all the S&W stock to single-ended. This should make them a bit less sensitive to mounting height - I could explain but it'd take ages to translate into meaningful text. If it doesn't improve reliability they will be for the bin, no question.

I'm considering scrapping the existing fiddle yards and getting someone with a better grasp of woodwork to sort me a pair of train turntables (as I should have built in the first place). The local P4 group have recently produced a rather swish combined train turntable and traverser for "Calderside", I might nick that design. The current traversers work OK, but are poorly built, over-heavy, and require too much handling of stock but they will do for the next 12 months anyway.

Finally, I wrote last time that the next outing was unknown - well, you might have read that I've been invited to the RMWeb event in Stafford, this will probably be my sole trip South of the border as an exhibitor, and closer to (my) home I'll be taking the layout to Ayr in Sept. I'm very much looking forward to both these shows. Please stop by for a chat at either.

Hellish aren't they? ;)

The 24, much as I dislike it (and the prototype - give me a BRCW anyday) is very handy, covering for failures. Still, I'll soon have these up and running:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=96917

Plus a couple of coal-burning friends. :yes:

Not familiar with this layout I don't think. Anything on-line, especially re the turntable/traverser combo?

Cheers,

26power

I'm considering scrapping the existing fiddle yards and getting someone with a better grasp of woodwork to sort me a pair of train turntables (as I should have built in the first place). The local P4 group have recently produced a rather swish combined train turntable and traverser for "Calderside", I might nick that design. The current traversers work OK, but are poorly built, over-heavy, and require too much handling of stock but they will do for the next 12 months anyway.

Archived