Culreoch

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

What was The Long Road Stewart, don't recall that one - to Irvine?

Kilmarnock to Glasgow by the original G&SW route which followed the Irvine line to Crosshouse, where the Irvine Road branched to the left, and the line to Glagow to the right, then ran on to Dalry, where it joined the Ayr line, and ran to Glasgow via Paisley and could be made longer by going round the Canal road as well!

The route via Barrhead and Stewarton was known as the j'int (joint) line, as it was joint GSW/Caley.

I actually went down that route in the cab of D27 one day when coming back from uni, and the joint line was closed due to a broken rail on Neilston bank and the driver said that he was surprised that we were sent that way, as the line was due to close very soon. I think that might have been the last passenger working, although I was told that on the same day, it had also seen a pair of 50s!

Of course, yes. In my head I put that into a later bracket of BR inflicted damage.

But as I'm at risk of going off on one at the thought of Elderslie - Paisley Canal closure stupidity, I'll stop, and consider chopping the coiled up snake of wire into new "jumper" leads to go between boards instead. Sounds like fun.

You've done a cracking job in refurbishing Culreoch and getting it backdated and into full exhibition fettle. I feel that the layout will now start to fulfil its true potential

I'd agree there Stewart; Ken and myself are particularly pleased that Cully has gone to someone who appreciates it for what it is and can develop it properly. That would never have happened here, unfortunately; despite our best efforts, we were tending to get held back or sidetracked once the initial enthusiasm of the build had worn off.

I could never understand why the Port Road went - it was so obvious that it was really quite important in the scheme of things, and when it went, that was a guarantee that all the Irish traffic would wind up on the A75.

To the decision makers, I think it probably came down to not much more than 'two lines to that place, one of them will have to go', and that it was more practicable to send traffic from the South via Ayr than to divert Glasgow trains via Carlisle.

Guest Max Stafford

I suspect also that, like the Waverley, the voting composition of the respective areas had some influence on the incumbent government's decision making.

The sheer folly of the decision to dispense with the PPW is painfully evident today when you have to drive the length of the A75. Euro Route...? :unsure:

Anyway Jamie, you might like to know that Annan Road is the product of my one-time mentors at EKMRC! Nice, innit?

Dave.

Latest EM Society magazine package includes a manual sheet for coverting a Bachmann 4-6-0 to EM.  Says that methods can be applied to other Bachmann engines.  Certainly quite a bit more involved  than a straight wheel swop.  Might make more sense if I had an engine in front of me when reading it again.

Cheers,

26power

Those with knowledge both of the GSW generally and PPW particularly will spot holes in the current fleet - there's no Crabs, nor working 4MT (80117 isn't running yet, nor my 76xxx) nor Fairburn, to name three types.  But there's plenty of time to sort that.

... I'd agree there Stewart; Ken and myself are particularly pleased that Cully has gone to someone who appreciates it for what it is and can develop it properly. That would never have happened here, unfortunately; despite our best efforts, we were tending to get held back or sidetracked once the initial enthusiasm of the build had worn off.

To the decision makers, I think it probably came down to not much more than 'two lines to that place, one of them will have to go', and that it was more practicable to send traffic from the South via Ayr than to divert Glasgow trains via Carlisle.

If I felt that there were folk cringing behind sofas in E.Yorks I wouldn't be posting my efforts in public - but between stern words from Russ at the time by PM (where's he gone), and a few conversations with Ian and Ken since it came North I'm convinced things are shaping up nicely and I'm doing it justice. You'll need to be really sharp-eyed to see the changes made to the layout - minimal.

Yes, via Ayr allows access to both southbound and northbound traffics, which wasn't otherwise possible without reversal at Carlisle or Dumfries. Galloway tends to see Glasgow and Edinburgh as equally (ir)relevant, mind you.

Anyway Jamie, you might like to know that Annan Road is the product of my one-time mentors at EKMRC! Nice, innit?

Ah, should have guessed - certainly their high standard.

Latest EM Society magazine package includes a manual sheet for coverting a Bachmann 4-6-0 to EM.  Says that methods can be applied to other Bachmann engines.  Certainly quite a bit more involved  than a straight wheel swop.  Might make more sense if I had an engine in front of me when reading it again.

I was just thinking, haven't had an EMGS newsletter for ages. Sparky of the forum suggested there was something useful coming up. I'll get there, before long. In fact I have a cunning plan for when I get round to it... newsletter/manual sheet or not. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Of course, yes. In my head I put that into a later bracket of BR inflicted damage.

The Long Road itself lost its passenger services with the Beeching cuts, but the route remained until quite a bit later as a freight and diversionary route, but it saw very little traffic. I was at Uni in the 1970s, and the journey that I mentioned would have been in late 1972 (probably going home for Christmas if my memory serves me well). The Long Road was by then slated for closure, and it finally succumbed in 1973.

The Long Road itself lost its passenger services with the Beeching cuts, but the route remained until quite a bit later as a freight and diversionary route, but it saw very little traffic. I was at Uni in the 1970s, and the journey that I mentioned would have been in late 1972 (probably going home for Christmas if my memory serves me well). The Long Road was by then slated for closure, and it finally succumbed in 1973.

You didn't happen to be diverted over another axed line north out of Carlisle at any stage, did you? By any remote chance.... wink.gif

• RMweb Premium

You didn't happen to be diverted over another axed line north out of Carlisle at any stage, did you? By any remote chance.... wink.gif

Regrettably not. In my student days my only train travel was to/from uni Glasgow to Kilmarnock, and trips to the South West when I went to live and work in Devon in my gap year. In fact the BR blue period was, to some extent, the one that I ignored as a rail enthusiast - but hey, we're hijacking Jamie's thread here, so back to Culreoch .......

I'm raising no objection to technically off-topic GSW content. It's the same select few who are interested in both layout and prototype enough to read my online witterings.

I've been guilty of sneaking Sou'west content into Chard's Waverley thread myself, when not trying to convert him to the path of the steam locomotive ;)...

I've been guilty of sneaking Sou'west content into Chard's Waverley thread myself, when not trying to convert him to the path of the steam locomotive ;)...

...in which context I may have been seen to salivate over a late crest stepped-tender K3 in Hobbyrail yesterday... It's okay though, I was actually there in pursuit of knowledge, which appeared in the shape of The Lauder Light Railway by Oakwood Press.

However, anecdotes and observations from this source will be confined to the appropriate thread. tongue.gif

(I do seem to have a thing for 2-6-0s though, aren't Crabs that way inclined too now I think of it....)

• RMweb Premium

However, anecdotes and observations from this source will be confined to the appropriate thread. tongue.gif

(I do seem to have a thing for 2-6-0s though, aren't Crabs that way inclined too now I think of it....)

I'll just close off topic 'Chard - I only travelled the Waverley route once, and that was at night - at least it was after dark.

However, in my later years I did walk great chunks of the route while musing on why this line was ever closed.

And yes, when I last looked, Crabs were (are as there's still a couple left) Moguls. As a totally off thread observation, the Stanier version were known in some areas as Lobsters.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stuartp

Nice pic, thanks 'Chard. There's some more photos and a lot more information on how it got there in the Creetown Museum. (Proper museum too - none of this modern interactive-but-no-actual-artefacts rubbish).

Nice pic, thanks 'Chard. There's some more photos and a lot more information on how it got there in the Creetown Museum. (Proper museum too - none of this modern interactive-but-no-actual-artefacts rubbish).

You were the other principal recipient I had in mind, Stuart wink.gif No doubt Maximum Stafford will wax lyrical over this too.

I think it works, as a whole piece of social history, on so many levels.

It certainly is up there with any of my fabled WR icons; having walked that stretch of the Port Road in my teens, I could not begin to imagine just what the community had lost.

• RMweb Gold

You were the other principal recipient I had in mind, Stuart wink.gif No doubt Maximum Stafford will wax lyrical over this too.

I think it works, as a whole piece of social history, on so many levels.

It certainly is up there with any of my fabled WR icons; having walked that stretch of the Port Road in my teens, I could not begin to imagine just what the community had lost.

Fantastic picture, 'Chard - thanks for sharing. It certainly works as a piece of social history.

In absence of any modelling to report, and to continue from 'Chard's post I'll add some Flickr shots which sum up the nature of the locality:

Loch Skerrow from the trackbed:

Loch Skerrow

Stroan Loch from the viaduct:

Stroan Loch from Stroan Viaduct

Trackbed in the same vicinity:

enroute Loch Skerrow

And a future project:

bw 578

I'm longing for a trip down there, haven't managed it yet. Here's hoping for a crisp, dryish Autumn.

That future project image is another heart-wrencher. Single track main line is hugely captivating, I intuitively get the appeal, it really is a fantastic prototype. I do think the ScR closed main and cross-country lines have a special appeal that unites them, probably their wild remoteness.

Fireproof Match have a certain allure too, I fully expect a comment from Dave about the bonny wifey on the right wink.gif

Guest Max Stafford

Missed her I'm afraid, 'Chard, but a fine collection of photos. I'm advised that the marvellous old Church in its previous life once conveyed Queen Victoria. I wonder what became of it?

(Edit) OK aye, I see now 'Chard. How did you know about my weakness for red haired ladies in glasses? ;)

Dave.

Guest stuartp

Missed her I'm afraid, 'Chard, but a fine collection of photos. I'm advised that the marvellous old Church in its previous life once conveyed Queen Victoria. I wonder what became of it?

Dave.

Rotted away / got vandalised, was replaced by the Church of Scotland by a nice new hut I think. Frommemory it cost the congregation 2'/- , that being the price of the stamps and notepaper expended in writing to the ScR to ask for a replacement for its Caley predecessor. It cost the ScR a lot more - a special train, crane and possession to get it in place ! The coach end in the pic is the remains of the Caley coach, still in use as a phone box.

(Its been a long time since I read the story, I may have misremembered details but the basics are right)

• RMweb Gold
- but between stern words from Russ at the time by PM (where's he gone),
- still very much here (and nowhere else! ;) )- just been quite busy and not online/posting as much!!

Stern sounds unlikely? - unless perhaps to get on with it! was slightly sad to see the back of your other projects, but you are excelling yourself here, which is all good.

Archived