UPY 2005 - a "one of a kind" Genset

Is this the beast you mean? - the Alco C415 - one of those "Whacked severely with an ugly-stick" locos

Exactly - saved me from going looking for a picture.

I've had one for years..in the process of re-motoring, then found some more shots of one in 'logging RR's of BC'...they had three different cab heights...so modelling the various types is easy, as the cab detaches [well, mine does, anyway]....so decided to make my own Hi-ad truck sideframes.....three so far, then the project stalled somewhat...but it's all there in a box....just waiting...probably for some nice handrails....I loved the old Lifelike Alcos...they are what really started me off in US muddling....[including an attempt at a C630 from a C628........I still have packets and packets of UP decals...]

sigh...........

The 2005 was a prototype, which is the reason it's unique. Since then, the UP has been using the production 3GS21B units from NRE, although there is a later style now being produced by NRE. The 2005 was built using an MP15 chassis, which might be a place to start for a kitbash. It also seems to be using a set of GP9 hood doors and vents on the longer hood. If I were doing one, I'd start with an MP15 chassis and (assuming I could get one, I haven't checked) an Atlas Trainman body shell, with a GP9 shell donating hood doors. There'd still be a lot to do, but it would be a start.

Archived