Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Looks like most of the glazing, guttering and doors are not original.

Dave

Think you're right there Dave, not surprising though given how old the cottages are. Suspect it can be a bit blowy on that side of the hill!

• RMweb Premium

For scaling the width of the features I've taken the roof panels to be 2'wide and the blocks 18" by 9". I've assumed that there's a door under the rhs metal porch.

Trying to decide if I can see ground level in front of the building, or if it's a pile of something in front of the building. (my model has an extra row of blocks around the base that will be sunk into the ground)

post-6675-0-37960600-1496473646_thumb.jpg

The big steel sliding door goes down to ground level, can't decide about the next big window panel to the right. I've made a couple of minor adjustments to make it work better for me, so it's not an exact copy.

But why the huge windows?

• RMweb Premium

For scaling the width of the features I've taken the roof panels to be 2'wide and the blocks 18" by 9". I've assumed that there's a door under the rhs metal porch.

Trying to decide if I can see ground level in front of the building, or if it's a pile of something in front of the building. (my model has an extra row of blocks around the base that will be sunk into the ground)

attachicon.giftmp_5072-post-6675-0-30093400-14925467561226253556.jpg

The big steel sliding door goes down to ground level, can't decide about the next big window panel to the right. I've made a couple of minor adjustments to make it work better for me, so it's not an exact copy.

Perhaps they like too look at the sunshine!

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.giftmp_5072-post-6675-0-30093400-14925467561226253556.jpg

I suspect the corrugated steel sheets on the roof have replaced clear plastic sheets that over time became brittle, cracked and leaked.  That is another bit of maintenance we did on the Stafford Railway Circles old clubroom.  We changed the plastic in the early eighties and they were already dotted with flashing tape to repair cracks..   The SRC took over that building in 1970 (I think - or at least very near that date) and I cant believe those sheets had become so bad in 10 years so the use of clear plastic sheeting must date back some time. 

I think big windows are just for extra light depending on the buildings purpose.  My Grandfather had a workshop (Lichfield Road Stafford, behind a building probably best remembered as Browse furnishing).  The workshop was corrugated steel in construction (rust coloured) and housed woodwork machinery.  Originally producing and repairing lorry decks, carts and waggons and in later year making gates, doors, timber garages ect. Now demolished (I do have a photo)  The windows must be 6 foot x 6 foot and run the entire length of one side of the building with almost no gaps between windows.  My memory of the inside was a light and airy space.

Hope that helps

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the corrugated steel sheets on the roof have replaced clear plastic sheets that over time became brittle, cracked and leaked.  That is another bit of maintenance we did on the Stafford Railway Circles old clubroom.  We changed the plastic in the early eighties and they were already dotted with flashing tape to repair cracks..   The SRC took over that building in 1970 (I think - or at least very near that date) and I cant believe those sheets had become so bad in 10 years so the use of clear plastic sheeting must date back some time. 

I think big windows are just for extra light depending on the buildings purpose.  My Grandfather had a workshop (Lichfield Road Stafford, behind a building probably best remembered as Browse furnishing).  The workshop was corrugated steel in construction (rust coloured) and housed woodwork machinery.  Originally producing and repairing lorry decks, carts and waggons and in later year making gates, doors, timber garages ect. Now demolished (I do have a photo)  The windows must be 6 foot x 6 foot and run the entire length of one side of the building with almost no gaps between windows.  My memory of the inside was a light and airy space.

Hope that helps

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'm thinking it's some sort of workshop, perhaps a stonemasons yard? There do appear to be blocks of something in the yard area in some photos. Can't imagine it was doing that well in the 60s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can you tell by the way I'm putting off cutting and fixing several thousand slate tiles, finishing the turnouts and building the replacement chassis for the 1366. On the last point, I have no excuses as I 'invested'in a Hobby Holidays chassis jog and rolling road combo last weekend. Ooops.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anybody got any thoughts on a suitable product or material to replicate what I think are 2'x 6' asbestos roofing sheets in 7mm?

Slaters sheet #0437 is 7mm corrugated plasticard.
Cut to size and poke the fixing bolts through from the back.
  • Like 1

YEY !

Glad they arrived safely mate, hope they're of some use :)

Yours

S.Toney

CEO

Great Wall of Kernow Co.

• Like 2

You could take a look at this:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/craft-essentials-corduroy-card-a4-5-sheets/628351-1000

The pitch and scale may be too coarse for your needs.

Dave

That product is marked as new, but I've got some corrugated card from Hobbycraft in different packaging that is about 2.4mm pitch, so just over 4" in 7mm scale. Can't guarantee this is the same though.

• RMweb Premium

That product is marked as new, but I've got some corrugated card from Hobbycraft in different packaging that is about 2.4mm pitch, so just over 4" in 7mm scale. Can't guarantee this is the same though.

Thanks John, that saves me a trip to hobbycraft. 2.4mm pitch is too big, think I'm looking for about 1.4mm if I'm counting correctly.

• RMweb Premium

Slaters sheet #0437 is 7mm corrugated plasticard.

Cut to size and poke the fixing bolts through from the back.

Think I have a sheet of this Stu, if it's the one I think it is then it's very 'flat', more like battons of wood on a sheet than a curvy wave. Building will be right at the front of the layout so needs to look right.

• RMweb Gold

and building the replacement chassis for the 1366. On the last point, I have no excuses as I 'invested'in a Hobby Holidays chassis jog and rolling road combo last weekend. Ooops.

Looking forward to seeing those goodies in action. ;) 

• RMweb Premium

Mark has suggested the Wills 4mm corrugated sheets. I'd discounted these as likely to be too small but on measuring I was surprised to find the panels are the right width but a little short. I can cope with that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Both sides now cut and on to the gable ends.

post-6675-0-89540900-1496510449_thumb.jpg

School boy error required a little filler - scribed a line the height of the sides on the ends forgetting that's not the height of a full block. Doh.

Sloping bits have taken some thought to avoid small bits of block at the sloping cut ends.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Too steep for alternative cottages...

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_457 Jun. 03 00.06.jpg

Cottages from Dunmere next to where the Wenford line crossed the road into Bodmin. Cottages narrower and the road steeper than I remember. Never mind.

you could take out the first and last steps in height leaving just the one between the centre reducing the slope to a third of that in the photo.

I remember seeing them cottages the road was that steep there it is not an optical illusion.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John, that saves me a trip to hobbycraft. 2.4mm pitch is too big, think I'm looking for about 1.4mm if I'm counting correctly.

Asbestos sheets can be a bigger pitchthan the steel I think. 1.4mm sounds on the small side to me usual pitch for steel sheet  is 3inch or 1.75mm in 7mil. That does suggest to me the sheets are bigger than 6x2 (assuming you have estimated from the sheet width. More likely I think would be 6x 3 sheets with an overall so about 2ft 9in wide visible. 

The ones we used for a garage at my old place were 3in pitch and 3 x 6.3 metres (i.e the length of the garage) We needed four sheets to cover the ten foot width due to the overlap and avoided cutting by increasing the overlap.

Don

edit P.S. If you want to use them full size go for the ones sprayed with flock underneath stops the condensation drips. Alrigh not needed for the model but it might help someone.

Don 

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Premium

Mark has suggested the Wills 4mm corrugated sheets. I'd discounted these as likely to be too small but on measuring I was surprised to find the panels are the right width but a little short. I can cope with that.

I felt I should add something constructive after I called your cottages rubbish :)