Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

It's looking really good, Chris.

I made a little pilgrimage to Wadebridge and Bodmin on Saturday 28th January, just to mark the 50th anniversary of closure. Bought a Barnecutt's pasty and walked the line of the railway at both places, trying to conjure up an O2 or a Beattie tank. Quite a few cyclists on the Camel Trail, most of them too young to ever have ridden the line by train.

I wonder what people will make of all this stuff in a hundred years time?

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The clay siding is getting a LSWR buffer stop, this example from Ragstone models.

post-6675-0-19130200-1486841177_thumb.jpg

And propped up at the rail ends...

post-6675-0-50411800-1486841222_thumb.jpg

Looking down from the other end...

post-6675-0-49007800-1486841261_thumb.jpg

The sleepers on the clay siding are deliberately raggedly arranged to try and match a slightly unkempt appearance seen in various photos of sidings in the area.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I tried this method below a while back and decided life was to short, let alone maintaining this method once it's all been painted and probably clouted whilst cleaning the track, so belt and braces were the order of the day and went for the jltrt ones.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82305-church-norton/?p=1915281

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Martin, just found that I have MRJ 227 in a pile of mags. Trying to decide whether or not to use that method, or a bastardised version of it. I only have 7 turnouts a double slip and a catch point to work on so a complex method is doable. I need to look through my various photos again to collect images of the real thing to see what I can get away with...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I tried this method below a while back and decided life was to short, let alone maintaining this method once it's all been painted and probably clouted whilst cleaning the track, so belt and braces were the order of the day and went for the jltrt ones.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82305-church-norton/?p=1915281

Martyn.

The method is particularly useful if you have proper heel switches as it hold the blades in the correct position along the stock rail. The need to stop the blades moving back and forth (side to side is obviously essential) may be why Peco use such a chunky tiebar.  The alternative is to make the heel joint a dummy which may cause problems with short switches lacking flexibility. 

Don

• RMweb Premium

How does the feeling compare to say Treneglos when that first had a runner.

I didn't do the boards, track or wiring on TG (or any of the other group layouts) and didn't see the first train run, so this is a big first really.

I've had the Ivatt tank out too, found my old H&M controller to power it. Smashing stuff.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Milestone: First train to run under it's own power on a section of permanent track...

attachicon.giftmp_11816-rps20170212_190541-121720693.jpg

attachicon.giftmp_11816-rps20170212_190602-311378020.jpg

attachicon.giftmp_11816-rps20170212_190620270636078.jpg

OK, it's only a bog cart but it's the only motive power I have that has a DCC chip fitted.

Sorry, beat you to it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106646-the-depots-low-baring-rosedale-east/?p=2614831

There's video too. Must work out how to host it someplace...

Or it didn't happen...

• RMweb Premium

I'm not far off now reaching the stage when the finer detail of the trackwork such as facing point locks, and determining which are hand pulled and which are operated from the box. So, a question to those who understand this subject, how should this little lot be signalled? 

I've made a start based on the alterations I've made to the proper Bodmin North track plan - but I suspect what I've done needs some tinkering.

post-6675-0-51195200-1487195312_thumb.jpg

Here's the Bodmin North signal box diagram for comparison:

post-6675-0-49198500-1487195436_thumb.jpg

A couple of notes: 

1. At the real Bodmin North, in my period the ground signals at the loco release had been removed. The loco release was also operated from the station ground frame (which was released from the box) - I'd like to replicate these features. 

2. On my model, everything right of the overbridges is off scene but I'd like to know what signalling arrangements were there - I've assumed them to be as per the real Bodmin North. 

3. The lines from the station to both Boscarne and Wenford drop away from the station. I've assumed there would need to be some sort of catch/trap on the mainline to prevent runaways beyond the limit of shunt but this is off-scene.

4. The real gas works line has been upgraded to my freight only line to Wenford - no idea how this affects the signalling. On my original pre-Bodmin plan I assumed that this would be gated around the area of the catch/trap - on this version I'm not sure.

5. My version of Bodmin North - Pencarrow - is much compressed and has some features missing, so I can't copy reality exactly. 

6. I've not even tried to number the various lever frame pulls!

The aim is to get something that is reasonably prototypical that looks about right and enables me to put the various signal and track features in the right places. 

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not far off now reaching the stage when the finer detail of the trackwork such as facing point locks, and determining which are hand pulled and which are operated from the box. So, a question to those who understand this subject, how should this little lot be signalled? 

I've made a start based on the alterations I've made to the proper Bodmin North track plan - but I suspect what I've done needs some tinkering.

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_430 Feb. 15 21.33.jpg

Here's the Bodmin North signal box diagram for comparison:

attachicon.gifbodminnthc1950.jpg

A couple of notes: 

1. At the real Bodmin North, in my period the ground signals at the loco release had been removed. The loco release was also operated from the station ground frame (which was released from the box) - I'd like to replicate these features. 

2. On my model, everything right of the overbridges is off scene but I'd like to know what signalling arrangements were there - I've assumed them to be as per the real Bodmin North. 

3. The lines from the station to both Boscarne and Wenford drop away from the station. I've assumed there would need to be some sort of catch/trap on the mainline to prevent runaways beyond the limit of shunt but this is off-scene.

4. The real gas works line has been upgraded to my freight only line to Wenford - no idea how this affects the signalling. On my original pre-Bodmin plan I assumed that this would be gated around the area of the catch/trap - on this version I'm not sure.

5. My version of Bodmin North - Pencarrow - is much compressed and has some features missing, so I can't copy reality exactly. 

6. I've not even tried to number the various lever frame pulls!

The aim is to get something that is reasonably prototypical that looks about right and enables me to put the various signal and track features in the right places. 

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.

You need to post it in a signalling thread where 'the signal people' live...

Andy

• RMweb Gold

The Goods Shed side looks close to the original. The connection leading onto the branch would need an FPL.

Not having signals on the Engine Release would not be unusual in most places but some far-flung bits of the network did have strange customs.

The catch point by the Starter would be worked as a Slotted Joint, so for an incoming it would work line an ordinary spring point but it would be held closed by pulling a lever in the box and provided with an FPL.

How is it intended to work the Wenford Branch? Is it a running line belonging to the 'Main Line' railway or a Private Siding? This will determine the positioning and type of signals required.

Eric

• RMweb Gold

I note the Boscarne line catch point on the real diagram is inside the home signal whereas you have put it outside. I don't think it matters but I just wondered why?  I know it is currently offscene but when you build the next board for exhibition use or find a larger site we expect to see these (well maybe not the fixed distant unless it becomes a garden layout). Might it be an option to have a short arm on the Starter to control access to the Wenford line rather than a ground signal. Similarly with the inner home where there is also a ground signal the GS could be replaced by a short arm which begs the question whether the two arms on the outer home (not modelled) would be needed .

My terms may not be proper nor the design right for the southern. I do think arms are much easier to see on a model so if correct I would go for them.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I note the Boscarne line catch point on the real diagram is inside the home signal whereas you have put it outside. I don't think it matters but I just wondered why?  I know it is currently offscene but when you build the next board for exhibition use or find a larger site we expect to see these (well maybe not the fixed distant unless it becomes a garden layout). Might it be an option to have a short arm on the Starter to control access to the Wenford line rather than a ground signal. Similarly with the inner home where there is also a ground signal the GS could be replaced by a short arm which begs the question whether the two arms on the outer home (not modelled) would be needed .

My terms may not be proper nor the design right for the southern. I do think arms are much easier to see on a model so if correct I would go for them.

Don

Think you probably have a valid point there Don. I put the catch/trap further down so that it was a train length beyond the first turnout to allow shunting within the station area and afford protection against runaways. I put the home signal there without much thought to match the Bodmin plan and potentially have the home on the scenic board (just) and have it viewable over the top of the bridge. I can see sense in your suggestion that the home should be beyond the catch/trap but don't have sufficient expertise to know the answer.