Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

1366 is looking good.

I don't know, I spend all day doing track and folk look at the loco ;-p

Next milestone is getting enough track completed to enable me to run something. That will keep Mike Stationmaster happy - can't push stock round forever can I?

Thanks all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Breaking News:

On 8th July 2017, Staffed Finescale Group and Friends will be showcasing several layouts built by members of the group. Our aspiration is to offer a show with a relaxed atmosphere, where we are able to interact with visitors and describe the methods and materials used while they operate the layouts on display.

On show will be two layouts making their first public appearance (Tackeroo and The Contract) along with a chance to see Black Country Blues and Diesels in the Duchy away from the mainstream exhibition circuit. Completing the line up are The Mill, Felton Lane Goods and Fryers Lane; all examples of finescale modelling in a limited space which have not previously been exhibited locally.

The event takes place on Saturday 8th July 2017 at Gnosall Memorial Village Hall, Lowfield Lane, Gnosall, Staffs ST20 0ET. Opening times are 11:00 to 17:00 admission costs £5. There is free parking and disabled access at the venue. A half-hourly bus service provides connections to Stafford and Telford stations.

post-6675-0-11307100-1485199153_thumb.jpg

More info when available will be found here:

RMweb exhibition page: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119176-staffordshire-finescale-group-modelling-showcase-8th-july-2017/

SFG webpage: https://staffordshirefinescale.wordpress.com/staffordshire-finescale-friends-present/

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

What a great idea !!  Will even try to get there myself !

It's something that the group have joked about for years - having enough layouts to hold our own small show. Something nice and informal like the old members day rather than a formal show with barriers, lots of stress and loads of admin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's something that the group have joked about for years - having enough layouts to hold our own small show. Something nice and informal like the old members day rather than a formal show with barriers, lots of stress and loads of admin.

Sounds great, will there be a free bar too ?

• RMweb Premium

Slightly alarmed by the swimware advert next to the show poster at the tube station.

The bus advert might need a bit of work - the Contract is a "con project" apparently ;-p

Plus that essential for model railway exhibitors, a curry house.

Thank God it's only a one day show.

• RMweb Premium

Thank God it's only a one day show.

Many years ago I was helping Terry Onslow operate his Witton layout at a Wembley IMREX. One morning a little lad who was watching the layout suddenly asked his father "Dad, what's that eggy smell?".

I also remember that the Carshalton club layout (Parkwood Central?) displayed, instead of the usual plaques showing which exhibitions it had been to, the names of various curry houses they had stopped at during or after the shows.

Railway modelling is fun, as CJF so rightly said.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talk to Stubby, he says he might come and your almost en route

Andy

Actually very little other than tourists use the A39 to get anywhere across Exmoor. It mostly turns right at Barnstaple and heads down the new A361 for the motorway. Coming through our bit adds hours to the journey. It is scenic mind.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Mundane stuff this morning but something I forgot on the first turnout despite writing myself a reminder...

Holes for the point blade droppers...

post-6675-0-48405900-1485606078_thumb.jpg

Much easier to do when there's no rail on the way!

I'll be using these mounting plates from C&L to mount the tortoise motors under the boards.

post-6675-0-78088800-1485606191_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Chris, you mentioned before you have added spacers between the boards, to allow for the gap created when cutting the rail.

Hopefully you don't have any rails crossing the board edge at anything other than 90°, as if so the rails won't line up.

• RMweb Premium

Chris, you mentioned before you have added spacers between the boards, to allow for the gap created when cutting the rail.

Hopefully you don't have any rails crossing the board edge at anything other than 90°, as if so the rails won't line up.

Don't worry Stu I've a method to sort that problem.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry Stu I've a method to sort that problem.

not a cunning plan a la Baldrick one hopes.

I am sure you have it covered you seem to be doing it all very well.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Just in case folk think I've got bored and given up, I can confirm that track construction is slowly progressing. There's a continuous run of 3.5m now in place plus a couple of sidings. Four turnouts in various stages of completion and everything that is laid has the electrical droppers in place.

All a bit dull and repetitive so I've not bothered with many photos since Christmas.

Next purchases are:

Tortoise point motors - any tips on who has these for the best price are appreciated.

Cosmetic tie-bars - probably from JLTRT

At some point then I need to get the appropriate wire and switches etc for under the boards and control panel.

A big thank you to Geoff for sending me a step by step set of photo instructions for the double slip.

Whilst on the subject...how many point motors does a double slip require?

Over to Stafford show this morning for a few hours.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

not a cunning plan a la Baldrick one hopes.

I am sure you have it covered you seem to be doing it all very well.

Don

Thanks Don. It's all going too well at the moment and easier than I thought. Obviously there's something major I've overlooked!

Building track is very satisfying but time consuming. I can see the attraction of using PECO for speed but you don't get the nice flowing arrangements. Would be nice to have something running though.