Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Had a good play around with the levels of the roads on the grain store board this afternoon. It's all starting to fit together now with buildings and platforms etc sitting nicely into the landscape.

attachicon.giftmp_21508-rps20170101_191050-273723919.jpg

attachicon.giftmp_21508-rps20170101_191116-1101327826.jpg

attachicon.giftmp_21508-rps20170101_191155-1944580677.jpg

Overall the road drops about 40mm from front left to back right on the board in a big arc round the side and rear if the board.

Is the Tenko hut in the background one of your mock ups or did I miss you building that?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Is the Tenko hut in the background one of your mock ups or did I miss you building that?

Andy

That was a mock up built for my original plan based on a Wenford Bridge theme. It's just foam board to which has been stuck photos if the SR concrete provender store that was on Treneglos.

I won't be using it on Pencarrow but it's there to give me an idea of the height of the stores that will be on that stretch.

It was made about 2 1/2 years ago when you weren't paying attention ;-p

• Like 1

Hello Chris

Well, as promised I made my trip to Bodmin yesterday and after my other business there I stopped off at the site of Bodmin North (there is total traffic chaos in Bodmin at the moment, avoid it if you can). Sadly and as expected there is really very little left of the old LSWR terminus, but there is something. First up, the wall that I mentioned -

post-27939-0-65453700-1483540375.jpg

As you turn into the station site, on the access road which now leads to Sainsbury's, there is a small car park on your right. This wall is at the rear of the car park and survives intact to a height of 22 to 24 inches above the present tarmac surface. Behind it is a grass verge about six feet wide and then a taller stone wall bordering the public road. All of this seems to be part of the 1895 station and checking against the OS map must be the wall defining the

rear edge of the station forecourt, the red line that I have marked on the RH side of the map extract -

post-27939-0-54413500-1483540324_thumb.jpg

This is the ca 1907 OS 1:2500 survey and you will see that some of the surrounding cottages and houses have not yet been built. The wall of course is just off the front edge of your baseboard, Chris, so of not much use to you but here is a close-up for details of the engineering brick coping and the rubble masonry construction -

post-27939-0-78845900-1483540389.jpg

The second red line on the map shows the location of some surviving railings as already noted by Peter (N15 Class). These were along the rear of the single platform at Bodmin, and part of the railings which formed the boundary of the cottage gardens have survived -

post-27939-0-93247800-1483540354.jpg

What seems to have happened is that the owners of the cottages have removed sections of the railings to make a new rear entrance to their gardens from the access road, and have erected fences and gates along the original boundary line. But sections of the typical SR railings survive in good shape -

post-27939-0-96723600-1483540365.jpg

Even so, I still wasn't quite sure whether the railings were in fact in-situ or not, until I spotted this -

post-27939-0-82773100-1483540345.jpg

A piece of bullhead rail set vertically into the tarmac and which has been flame-cut off at ground level. This is one of those moments when I get goose-bumps (sad, I know) because I knew exactly what it was - one of the rails which supported the single running-in board at Bodmin, which was not the usual Exmouth Junction concrete type but one with rail-built uprights. So this means that the railings are still in-situ and one tiny fragment of the platform does in fact survive. I think that this support is the W one, the other I think is hidden beneath a modern planter. Here is the scene in 1966 (sorry I can't find a copyright owner) -

post-27939-0-54480400-1483540406_thumb.jpg

And here is the same scene today, as near as I can from the same angle. The Name board was just beyond the red gate -

post-27939-0-23000000-1483540333.jpg

So there you go. Despite looking quite hard, I could find no other fragments of railway on the site. I felt rather sad, knowing that in just over three week's time it will be the 50th anniversary of the last service train from Bodmin North. And there is nothing, not even a little plaque or a sign to tell anyone that this is the site of the Bodmin terminus of one of the very first steam public railways in Britain, the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway of 1834. Cornwall should have a bit more pride in its past than this.

John

• Like 10

I missed the remains of the sign. But the last two times I was there I had the winter training running down my neck. I thought the railings were in the right place due to the line to the cottages. Nice to have it confirmed. 

Thanks for your input. It's good for me and Chris.  It takes me a while to get there now. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm kicking myself for not asking you to measure up a section of that LSWR metal fencing.

If anyone else finds themselves in the area with a pen, paper, tape and a few minutes to kill I'd be grateful.

• RMweb Premium

I'm kicking myself for not asking you to measure up a section of that LSWR metal fencing.

If anyone else finds themselves in the area with a pen, paper, tape and a few minutes to kill I'd be grateful.

It might be easier than you think...  I spent a small part of my career working for the UK's biggest fence manufacturer.  Manufactured fence panels are almost always 6 foot wide....  

The Green fence panels look like 6 foot high (could be 5 foot that is the bit that varies) close board panels and they will be 6 foot wide..

Does that help

Andy

• RMweb Gold

It might be easier than you think...  I spent a small part of my career working for the UK's biggest fence manufacturer.  Manufactured fence panels are almost always 6 foot wide....  

The Green fence panels look like 6 foot high (could be 5 foot that is the bit that varies) close board panels and they will be 6 foot wide..

Does that help

Andy

Add to that the concrete blocks used for the wall should be 440x215 with approx 10mm for the motar course which will check the height. 

Don

• RMweb Premium

Add to that the concrete blocks used for the wall should be 440x215 with approx 10mm for the motar course which will check the height. 

Don

Good point Don

I work for Tarmac now...  We make concrete blocks.  Those dimensions are 'bang on' ....   Don't know why I missed that

And

Chris

I measured the same type of railings at Bere Ferrers on 13th July 1973 and the dimensions were as follows -

Panel length 9' 5"

Height 4' 3"

Diameter of railing (round in section) 3/4"

Space between railings 5"

Railings are plain, pointed (not spear points) and round in section

I hope this helps . . .

If I get back to Bodmin in the near future I'll check that they are the same.

John

Edited by John R Smith

• RMweb Premium

Chris

I measured the same type of railings at Bere Ferrers on 13th July 1973 and the dimensions were as follows -

Panel length 9' 5"

Height 4' 3"

I hope this helps . . .

John

That helps a lot John not only for finding or making the right fencing and also scaling other objects.

• RMweb Premium

Chris

Panel length 9' 5"

Height 4' 3"

I hope this helps . . .

John

Fantastic John...

RMWEB, the ultimate railway search engine..

Andy

• Like 1

I will be there for Christmas this year or possibly earlier. Is that any help?

I would like to make it in September as a mate is getting married the day of Telford. Which means I could go there too. But her indoors seem tho think having a month off in September is a bit much after going back to work in February after 8 months off with Pedro. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As Mark mentioned to me the other day, I appear to be avoiding laying the rails and making up the pointwork.

So here's the first V filed up and ready for soldering. Some finishing off of the tip will be required once that's done.

post-6675-0-01717200-1483870466_thumb.jpg

• Like 8