Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

I think you're right about the goods shed line being higher but I'd say 6-12" rather than 12"+. I did consider putting another layer of cork under the track on that line but in the end decided that the severe compression on the length of my model vs the prototype would give me problems siting the grad somewhere sensible. I'd end up with waggons rolling out of the goods shed.

I think they where worried about that too. The general slope towards Wadebridge and the trap under the bridge.

Peter, have you got this book with you in Brazil?

attachicon.giftmp_31019-rps20161230_084732-1127407079.jpg

I have the book but in the UK. My son has dug it out ready to sped

Chris

No but it will be by march time. It is one that I got my son to dig out and will be on its way in the new year.

I think that wall you have spotted may in fact survive, at the rear of a small car park more or less on the site of that end of the station. Next time I go to Bodmin I'll try to get a photo of it. It's puzzled me for some time . . .

John

The platform edge fence or some of it is still there. It's still used as the boundary fence to the houses behind the platform.

Edited by N15class

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, looks like I'm wrong then (and not for the first time).

When you look back now, you can see that the 1960s was a time of appalling destruction for our 19th century built heritage.

John

Couldn't agree more. I grew up in Stafford and old photos show some fantastic buildings and so many were lost to demolition crews and hideous replacement. It's a miracle the Ancient High House survived the cull. It has to be said that that wetherspoons has done a fair bit of saving old buildings, the Picture House in Stafford being one example.

Evening Chris,

Only just stumbled across your thread, and have found really useful and very informative,

I've just returned to British modelling, having spent the last 6 years on the Dark Side (German H0) and we're (myself and oldest son) in the process of building a layout based on Bodmin North.

I agree, I'm surprised that there is anything left of the old Stafford, it seams to be changing every time I go there, and I only live in Stone these day's. 

Regards

Ian Beeston

(ex Bagnall's,  Rising Brook, Flash Ley ect)

• RMweb Premium

Evening Chris,

Only just stumbled across your thread, and have found really useful and very informative,

I've just returned to British modelling, having spent the last 6 years on the Dark Side (German H0) and we're (myself and oldest son) in the process of building a layout based on Bodmin North.

I agree, I'm surprised that there is anything left of the old Stafford, it seams to be changing every time I go there, and I only live in Stone these day's. 

Regards

Ian Beeston

(ex Bagnall's,  Rising Brook, Flash Ley ect)

Welcome along Ian, good to see you on here. Shout if there's anything Bodmin North you need info wise and if Peter or I don't have it I'm sure others will have pointers.

Would be interested in  seeing photos of where you're up to with your own layout.

Regards

Chris

(Ex Bagnalls customer, Rising Brook, Flash Ley etc)

Thanks Chris, will do.

We stayed in the Bodmin area for our summer holiday this year (we're going back again next summer) and visited the Bodmin and Wenford line a couple of times while we were there, we also walked along the camel trail to remains of Nanstallon halt.

So far we only have our version of Boscarne Junction (track plan slighty altered to fit space available) completed and partially sceniced,

But eventually I hope to incorporate Bodmin North station and Nanstallon halt into the layout, and use the line to/from Bodmin General as a continuous run which will  join up with the line from Nanstallon via hidden sidings (behind Bodmin North) when I just want to watch the trains go by.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

'S a funny thing about Wetherspoons. I've only been in one where the bar & bog are on the same floor.

HNY

Simon

Try the Imperial in Exeter, just up the hill from St Davids Station, or the Britannia in Plymouth, the lager recycling points are both at bar level as they were both licensed premises in previous incarnations.

Try the Imperial in Exeter, just up the hill from St Davids Station, or the Britannia in Plymouth, the lager recycling points are both at bar level as they were both licensed premises in previous incarnations.

Thanks, if I'm ever caught short in either location, I'll know where to go!

The Samuel Peto in Folkestone is a magnificent building, an ex Baptist chapel, with a quite phenomenal staircase down to the loos. One of our pals managed the whole thing one night (and he wasn't at all oiled) without the soles of his feet touching a single stair. Needed an ambulance, but happily no lasting damage :)

Samuel was an interesting chap too. Laid over 2300 miles of railway. At my current rate of progress this is likely to take me several centuries!

HNY

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

'S a funny thing about Wetherspoons. I've only been in one where the bar & bog are on the same floor.

HNY

Simon

I think it's to do with them mostly using old buildings which were not formerly pubs. It gives them the opportunity to maximise selling space on the main floor and concentrate the "services" elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's to do with them mostly using old buildings which were not formerly pubs. It gives them the opportunity to maximise selling space on the main floor and concentrate the "services" elsewhere.

I expect that they have re-used the existing plumbing arrangements albeit on a grander scale, in some cases.

• RMweb Premium

Had a good play around with the levels of the roads on the grain store board this afternoon. It's all starting to fit together now with buildings and platforms etc sitting nicely into the landscape.

post-6675-0-73533700-1483297912_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-66132600-1483297939_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-35579500-1483297967_thumb.jpg

Overall the road drops about 40mm from front left to back right on the board in a big arc round the side and rear if the board.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It's looking good, Chris. I'm making a trip to Bodmin this coming week. so I will have a look for the wall I mentioned. I have printed out my OS map extract (circa 1907) so I will check the present site against that.

John

Enjoy the location John, try to imagine what was there and ignore the rather uninspiring newer buildings. Good luck finding any remnants of the old  station. The old station cottages are worth a look.

• RMweb Gold

Stu

Will you be starting with your unicycle-monorail again this year?

Best

Simon

Ha, good question. 'Tinner's Forge' is the latest project, but the PSMT may make a return to the top of the list at some point.