Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Board 3 (end of the line)

post-6675-0-49522600-1390941365_thumb.jpg

To the front and left of board three we see the end of the clay exchange line which will, by this stage, be undergrowth.

Behind is the SR concrete station platform. This comes out at a smidge over 4' - so enough for two coaches and an O2. I'm not sure yet about the station platform facilities. Those at Grogley, Nanstallon and Dunmere were very basic GWR Pagoda huts which were later replaced by dull panel versions. Would this rural terminus deserve something bigger? I can't imagine that something the scale of Bodmin North (SR) would have been built...

post-6675-0-44608500-1390942285.jpg

To the centre rear we have the goods office based on the one still standing at Wenford. 

post-6675-0-73779800-1390941470_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-59335900-1390941502_thumb.jpg

I'm also contemplating a loading dock on the rear siding end, to the left of the goods office, and an overhead loading gantry like the ones seen at Wadebridge Wharf and Wenford. 

In the rear right corner we have a single LSWR workers cottage, like the one still standing at Nanstallon.

post-6675-0-45268600-1390942261.jpg

To the right of the platform and pagoda, running in an arc between the goods office and LSWR cottage we have the (invisible!) local lane - again based on the one at Wenford. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

PS - thoughts and comments very welcome...

I don't know what to say... You seam to have thought of everything. I still have some 7mm bullhead rail that you are welcome to . R u at Stafford? I ventured into 7mm for a while (mid life crisis, )

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what to say... You seam to have thought of everything. I still have some 7mm bullhead rail that you are welcome to . R u at Stafford? I ventured into 7mm for a while (mid life crisis, )

Andy

This project has been rumbling around in my head for a fair while - well before Damian's DitD and the BCB thingie. It wasn't always going to be 7mm and I always knew all the little bits / views I wanted in it - there's files full of drawings and photos here at home. It's just taken a bit of time for it all to gell into something that appears to work and strangely it was reducing it down to a 9' scenic section and sticking with the 3' width that made it finally click. Sometimes less is more!

The offer of the 7mm rail is very welcome. Something that the mock up has proven is that using bog-standard B6 left and right points doesn't work. Most need to be on a subtle curve to make the plan flow better. I will have to master Templot after all! The delay has also meant that I've now decided that the track will be built to 31.5mm standards with finer flangeways rather than 32mm. This and the curvy points means that everything will have to be scratch built. Another trade to try and learn. 

Still not sure about Stafford but it's looking better than last week - if so i'll be popping in for 3 or so hours, probably with No.1 son in tow. 

All the best with BCB at the show. 

• Like 1

Chris

It is all looking very good. Templot is quite easy to use. I am struggling with double slips though. I am going for 31.5 too.

I have always liked the line down there. Have been around there many times after the folks moved downto the area.

• Like 1

lay paper with lines on and bung a few objects to represent stuff, then add in research pictures and bang .......

Pencarrow Bridge lives in the minds eye.

That in itself justifies all the years of thought and research you have done Chris.

bad news - completed & running by Easter

good news - you choose the year ;)

• RMweb Premium

Chris

It is all looking very good. Templot is quite easy to use. I am struggling with double slips though. I am going for 31.5 too.

I have always liked the line down there. Have been around there many times after the folks moved downto the area.

Thanks Peter. I had a play around with the turnout creation bit in templot last night and made up a few trial turnouts.

The mainline is on a gradual 8000mm radius and I (or rather Templot) knocked up a left hand and right hand B6 to sit on this curve. Took a fair bit of experimentation to get that far but there are now two templates on the 'play mat'. I then mucked around with the mainline curve and crossing angles to see how the turnout shape changed. Fascinating!

I've always loved that bit of the country and the lines to Padstow and Bodmin. I didn't think I'd be doing it in O Gauge though. I blame Dapol announcing the 7mm Beattie for the final push. It has since been cancelled but, having got this far, that just forces me to tackle building locos. Both the brass wagons seem to have turned out OK so there's hope.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

lay paper with lines on and bung a few objects to represent stuff, then add in research pictures and bang .......

Pencarrow Bridge lives in the minds eye.

That in itself justifies all the years of thought and research you have done Chris.

bad news - completed & running by Easter

good news - you choose the year ;)

Morning Ken, nice to hear from you. Sounds like

mucking around on the play mat was useful to others as well as myself. Good stuff! The family are bemused though and wonder why there's now a mess of boxes and paper on the floor!

It certainly won't be Easter this year! This is a project that will be unrushed and built to enjoy each stage. It won't be an exhibition layout and certainly no cutting corners for looming show deadlines.

• RMweb Premium

It's just the next step in skill aquistion; honest  :sungum:

Do you know anybody who has built a set of working steam loco frames in 4mm?  If so, you have a mentor to hand.

There's a few of the former Stafford club members who went on to build Black Country Blues who are into that sort of thing, particularly Geoff Cook but they are all a good 60 to 90 mins away which doesn't lend itself to quicklypopping over to prod some brass. Other than that I don't know of anyone more local with those skills. There is a local club near Swadlincote but I'm not very good at clubs!

• RMweb Premium

If you want a caravan, just ask - only too happy to make one for you.

Cheers Stu, it's becoming a sort of layout trademark isn't it! You need to sneak one on to BCB.

You have remembered this is 7mm haven't you?! And I have just the place for a decrepit, rotting example...and an ideal historical prototype from Hellandbridge.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks both. It does look like I've mastered Templot doesn't it. I must confess though that I have cheated somewhat. Being an engineer by trade I used some maths to work out the radii of the various routes and then printed off these curves. I then asked Templot to draw turnouts to fit the radii and printed these out. The plan is a big example of floor-based cut and paste! I'm not sure Martin would be happy with this approach but it served my purpose.

There's still a few niggles to sort and locating board joints is a nightmare but it's a work in progress.

• RMweb Premium

Right then all, having done some bodging with Templot I've a few track detail related questions for those wot know stuff about track. 

As background, most of these questions are related to trying to get the pointwork and board joints to play nicely, leaving me with sensible sized and shaped boards. Overall the layout is 13'2" long and fits in a wall to wall gap of 13'4", so the length is set. The fiddleyard takes up 4' of the length, leaving a 9'2" scenic section. 

Splitting the scenic section into 3  equal sections lands board joints on point blades or the middle of a common crossing. Splitting it into two has the same problem, plus I don't fancy man handling 3' x 4'6" boards on my own. Splitting it into four lands me with an extra board joint, boards that are a bit to small and a pile more conflicts. 

I've since had the notion to treat the layout as a whole and split the entire length by four. This gives me four 39.5" (1m ish for the French) long boards and means that the joints sit much, much better with the trackwork. A byproduct is that the first scenic board has 8.5" of fiddle on it but that actually has advantages that I'll go into another time. So, the actual position of the board joints between the three scenic boards is shown below (look for the four metal strips).

post-6675-0-00612400-1391109126_thumb.jpg

The studious of you will note that both joints cross pointwork.

Question 1:

The image below shows the station joint position. Do folk think that splitting the point here is sensible, practical and/or achievable?

post-6675-0-19493700-1391109133_thumb.jpg

If the joint could move a sleeper or two left or right, which way would you advise moving it?

Question 2:

The image below shows the loop joint position. Do folk think that splitting the points here is sensible, practical and/or achievable?

post-6675-0-02352100-1391109155_thumb.jpg

If the joints could move a sleeper or two left or right, which way would you advise moving them?

Question 3:

A general question that impacts on the above two. In the situation below, how much closer can I move the blade end of the point (A ) to the crossing end (B ) of the next one?

post-6675-0-62460900-1391109147_thumb.jpg

Question 4:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, this layout represents the terminus of a low grade branchline that is signalled (think Bodmin North to Boscarne Jct). Coming into it is a freight only lightly laid branch serving clayworks and various other sidings. It is to be worked as the Wenfordbridge to Dunmere Jct line under single engine rules (whatever they are called). It will have no signalling or controlled road crossings and access to the branch will be gated off the 'mainline'. The gate position is shown (shewn for Robin) as the post-it line (C ) on the picture below.

post-6675-0-46545700-1391109140_thumb.jpg

So ladies and gentlefolk, would this line need a catchpoint? and, if so, would it be on the freight-only side (A ) of the gate or the 'mainline' side (B )??

Thank you for any assistance.

(Edited to remove rogue smilies entered by putting B and C in brackets!!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why do the board edges have to be straight ? Can you not angle the board edges where they are under the points to be at 90 deg to the track ?

As the boards will be a perfectly tight fit anyway, using your usual method of alignment, there is no necessity for ruler straight edges.