A question and a comment

First the question
I picked up the March MR today. On page 19 there is a Walthers Advert, and at the lower half they have Scenemaster trucks - the old Boley range methinks Top left truck is called a 2 axle tractor, and the nthird is called a Single axle tractor, but they both have the same formation single tire at the front, and a pair of tires at the rear. Doest this mean that the 2 axle is what we would call "four wheel drive"? (ie both front and rear are driven wheras the second only drives the rear wheels)
And now the comment - intrigued to see the E149th Street Bronx Terminal in N is 5' x 9' and seems to have more trackage that doesn't appear in any of the plans I have seen, where-as my version in HO was less that half that size. I know it is claimed that everything is bigger in Texas - but this one is in Pennsylvania!  :scratchhead:

Sounds like somebody has fluffed the copyrighting/pics for the ad then Jack.

On the Walthers website they list:

'Dual axle' tractors (I.E. a 3 axle tractor with 2 drive axles at the rear)

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/949-11180

'Single axle' tractors (I.E. a 2 axle tractor with 1 drive axle at the rear)

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/949-11131

(Edit to put in product links)

Yes - the single axle tractor is listed as 949-11191 4900 Single axle tractor  the  949-11131 is refered to as a 4300 2 axle tractor, - and then jut to confuse us on the side of the pond there are 2 listed but not shown -   949-11530 4900 2 axle Semi Tractor, and 949-11590 4900 Single axle Semi Tractor -  which I thought is what the first ones were.  :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:

- intrigued to see the E149th Street Bronx Terminal in N is 5' x 9' and seems to have more trackage that doesn't appear in any of the plans I have seen, where-as my version in HO was less that half that size. I know it is claimed that everything is bigger in Texas - but this one is in Pennsylvania!  :scratchhead:

Did you/could you/ please post a picture of yours?

TIA Ted

hate to be pedantic but they're dual and tripple axle tractors  as for HGVs the front axle is included for taxation and weight limmits purposses here in the UK !! also fronts are rarely driven on tractor units as if you don't have enough grip  on normal roads with that type of vehicle it's time to cash yer chips in and go home !!

hate to be pedantic but they're dual and tripple axle tractors  as for HGVs the front axle is included for taxation and weight limmits purposses here in the UK !! also fronts are rarely driven on tractor units as if you don't have enough grip  on normal roads with that type of vehicle it's time to cash yer chips in and go home !!

Except in North America the lead axle is usually ignored when describing trucks. A tri-axle dump truck actually has 4 axles.

Adrian

Archived