SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Hi All. I cannot see a problem with the “ huge spate of Southern items recently “ , for many years the LNER and GWR have ruled the model railway roost. The Southern May not be have been the biggest company likewise BR Southern, but the amount of passengers is alledged to be the greatest ( include the fare dodgers and it would be greater) Best wishes. Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi All. I cannot see a problem with the “ huge spate of Southern items recently “ , for many years the LNER and GWR have ruled the model railway roost. The Southern May not be have been the biggest company likewise BR Southern, but the amount of passengers is alledged to be the greatest ( include the fare dodgers and it would be greater) Best wishes. Kevin

Quite right, Kevin, we cannot have too much of this good thing. I think those with a problem are concerned about real-life expenditure and other commitments preventing them from affording so much stuff at once. And whereas in times past the goods would still be available on the shelf next year, the limited nature of manufacturing runs these days means we must buy it while it’s there, or be forever in despair!

Quite right, Kevin, we cannot have too much of this good thing. I think those with a problem are concerned about real-life expenditure and other commitments preventing them from affording so much stuff at once. And whereas in times past the goods would still be available on the shelf next year, the limited nature of manufacturing runs these days means we must buy it while it’s there, or be forever in despair!

....... if my olive birdcages arrive this month or - early - next as seems likely .... and the olive H, Ps and B4 in January ( as scheduled last time I checked ) ........... I've only got the DJ / Kernow roadvan brake to look forward to in 2018 ! ....................................................... sob ......

I was informed yesterday from Scoonie Hobbies that the rep has advised them that 2 of the 3 olive coaches have arrived (also the LNER D11) in the UK so should be starting to hit the shops soon. Its been a good month for SR modeller's, I have to collect my Kernow gate Stock from the post office on Monday and hopefully the next run of cattle wagons from Hornby will arrive next month along with the H class in Olive.

Two out of the three? How very odd. Good news for Royal Mail if no-one else.

• RMweb Gold

EDIT: Before we get our knuckles rapped for thread drift, might I suggest using my "Useful modification for Roco and Hornby couplers" thread to further pursue this topic?

Can you post a link, please?

I was informed yesterday from Scoonie Hobbies that the rep has advised them that 2 of the 3 olive coaches have arrived (also the LNER D11) in the UK so should be starting to hit the shops soon. Its been a good month for SR modeller's, I have to collect my Kernow gate Stock from the post office on Monday and hopefully the next run of cattle wagons from Hornby will arrive next month along with the H class in Olive.

Todays 20 November Bachmanns update SR birdcage coaches still for Jan/Feb, only D11 James Fitzjames instock

No birdcages expexted for next comming 60 days.

So Scoonie Hobbies must been misinformed, unless they have a mole at Bachmann  :jester:

It is better to look at Bachmanns site new arrivals tab, every two weeks update, I asume Bachmann knows better what is comming than :mosking: predictions by shop

Todays 20 November Bachmanns update SR birdcage coaches still for Jan/Feb, only D11 James Fitzjames instock

So Scoonie Hobbies must been misinformed, unless they have a mole at Bachmann  :jester:

It is better to look at Bachmanns site new arrivals tab, every two weeks update, I asume Bachmann knows better what is comming than :mosking: predictions by shop

A rash assuption, I fear. It has often been wrong in the past!

• RMweb Gold

Link only goes to the index page, not the topic itself. 

Sorry, I had trouble getting it in at all. (First attempt at doing it).

It does work from IE but not from within RMWeb. It also comes up if you do a forum search for "CCU"

Can anybody tell me how to do it properly, I couldn't make head or tail of the help notes.

John

....... if my olive birdcages arrive this month or - early - next as seems likely .... and the olive H, Ps and B4 in January ( as scheduled last time I checked ) ........... I've only got the DJ / Kernow roadvan brake to look forward to in 2018 ! ....................................................... sob ......

AND . . . the Brighton Atlantic . . . . . . . . . . AND . . . a Hornby Lord Nelson (possibly)   . . . . . . AND . . . . . . . . ?????

• Like 1

If you are referring to my comment, please note that it was simply in jest that I referred to it as being an 'expensive' time. All things considered, there has never been a better time to model the southern, all of the new releases will have extremely fine and refined tooling, just compare the Older M7 to the new one, almost unrecognizable. 

While I have no issue - and, in fact hope that the influx of southern stock does not stop, My wallet might have one or two things to say about it... 

AND . . . the Brighton Atlantic . . . . . . . . . . AND . . . a Hornby Lord Nelson (possibly)   . . . . . . AND . . . . . . . . ?????

As I've said elsewhere, the Brighton Atlantic's off MY radar until it's detected in 'stealth' malachite green ......... and Hornby's alleged Nelson ( whether Lord Nelson or Pompey unit ) ain't a lot of use my side of the Brighton Line ......................... if, though the loco that featured heavily in Hornby's recent 'H' film transpires, I might persuade myself that a 'Q' has wandered across from Redhill or Three Bridges ......................

........ and IF Hornby are listening (??!? ) isn't it time we had a Maunsell-cab 'Arthur' in malachite ?

( Meanwhile - just to get this back on topic - whatever Scoonie or Bachmann say, Hattons & Kernow are still advertising olive birdcages will be here this year .................... do I believe ANY of them ?     NAH ! )

• Like 2

I have had word from Scoonie Hobbies that mine are on there way to the shop and Kernow showing the 2 in stock on there website.

I must ask them if the mole knows this weeks lottery numbers!

Edited by shunny

• RMweb Gold

If they were brought in by air you would see a significant price increase to that advertised, so sea it is.

The first batches of new releases are frequently flown in....especially if they need to be showcased at Warley.It really depends upon individual circumstances as need dictates

• RMweb Premium

If they were brought in by air you would see a significant price increase to that advertised, so sea it is.

Perhaps not as expensive as you think. 

The last time I had to airfreight to Eastern Asia it was US$6/kg.  That was some time ago but oil has more than halved since then so it is probably a good approximation.

So at say 500g per coach (including the packaging and the packaging to hold the models - so probably over-egging it) that would be around £2.30 per coach.  Not a lot if you wanted to get  sale for a major exhibition.

• Like 1