SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Yes,I'm puzzled by this too.I atm cannot recall such forthright comment on the livery of these forthcoming releases.Perhaps someone could refresh my memory ? Otherwise on the face of it this is a disturbing critique and one that needs an answer from the member concerned please.

Proper SECR Lake is available to view on the Pullman Topaz in NRM.

It is Not dull brown!!

Behind the scenes I have seen some of the adjustments made to the tone of the livery; what may be technically correct sometimes doesn't 'look right' and I know a lot of time and thought has been given to this specific subject matter. I am sure the next livery samples seen will reflect some of the adjustments.

I really hope that what I saw was the original sample, and not the re-thought livery. If mine turn up that colour, there will be a set on ebay the following day.....

I have checked and the ones on display were the first samples so there will be a difference with the final release. However, I wouldn't have had to spend time confirming that's the case if you hadn't been as damning with your words. You were there; it would have made sense at the time to ask rather than malign the product online.

I have not been able to find the picture of the Bachmann birdcage coaches in SECR livery in this topic but I do vaguely remember seeing it. Meanwhile here is a picture of Topaz at the National Railway Museum to give you some idea of the SECR coach livery. I wonder if the roof should be white on the birdcage coaches. White roofs look wrong to me on models as the roofs soon turned grey.

Next to Topaz is a D class 4-4-0 in SECR livery which would be ideal to go with the birdcage coaches. I have seen that the wish list has been suspended for October 2017 so perhaps people will vote for it next year.

I have received a notification from Hattons that the birdcage coaches in SECR livery are expected to arrive between December and January. I am not sure why I ordered them from Hattons as the Swanage Railway shop is offering a 10% discount with my membership card as is my nearest model shop in Poole. There is little, if any, difference in price when you take postage into consideration.

post-17621-0-47636700-1507559778_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-22093900-1507559846_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have checked and the ones on display were the first samples so there will be a difference with the final release. However, I wouldn't have had to spend time confirming that's the case if you hadn't been as damning with your words. You were there; it would have made sense at the time to ask rather than malign the product online.

Andy, had I had time to wait while the one member of staff present dealt with his queue of the adenoidally deficient, I would have done so. I see far more damning criticism of products, and indeed whole companies, on here, yet I do not see those posters vilified. Something personal, perchance?

Something personal, perchance?

Not at all; just a shame that you didn't spend the time on personal interaction when you were at the right place at the right time rather than online baiting.

• RMweb Premium

I finished 'ageing' my BR(S) set yesterday and as it's a nice sunny day today I took the opportunity to take some images -

One side has been given a heavy clean

post-7401-0-54813100-1507979462.jpg

whilst the other is somewhat more neglected ...

post-7401-0-60615700-1507979485.jpg 

The underframes were dry brushed with enamels whilst the bodies and roof were coated with gouache which was then washed off the sides with water and a small brush.  One advantage of gouache is that if I don't like the result I can just wash the lot off and start again.

• Like 16

Schools class with a mixture of SECR birdcage coaches and Hornby crimson coaches. The colours matched well but the tender driven Schools struggled with the load mainly due to the drag of the Hornby LSWR coaches. The Hornby utility van also squeaked even after oiling the axles. In contrast the SECR coaches ran very well.

On page 46 of the November Hornby Magazine Peter Clark has written an excellent letter which includes suitable locomotives to run with the birdcage coaches. These are a D 4-4-0, H 0-4-4T, C 0-6-0, N 2-6-0, Fairburn 2-6-4T, King Arthur, Battle of Britain, E4 0-6-2T, I3 4-4-2T, M7 0-4-4T, T9 and L12 4-4-0s

post-17621-0-36924600-1508139614_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-86667300-1508139699_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 6

I finished 'ageing' my BR(S) set yesterday and as it's a nice sunny day today I took the opportunity to take some images -

The underframes were dry brushed with enamels whilst the bodies and roof were coated with gouache which was then washed off the sides with water and a small brush.  One advantage of gouache is that if I don't like the result I can just wash the lot off and start again.

Very nice (and very brave), can you share the colour gouache you used please.

Had you tried the same material on underframes?

Thanks

Ernie

• RMweb Premium

Very nice (and very brave), can you share the colour gouache you used please.

Had you tried the same material on underframes?

Hi Ernie,

I used Reeves ready mix paint, a mix of mostly Black and Burnt Umber with traces of Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre.  I use a jam jar lid as a palette to mix the colours which I never clean.  The paint is a bit too thin straight out of the bottle but working in a bit of old paint thickens it up nicely.  It also means the colour varies subtlety between each area weathered.  One essential is to thoroughly de-grease the model first, I wash them with washing up liquid and a 1/4in paint brush and then rinse thoroughly. The only problem with gouache is that you have to be careful handling the finished models, a spray of varnish might seal it but I've never tried, if I accidentally get a fingerprint in the weathering I just wash it off and redo it.

I use Humbrol enamels on underframes as I use more colours (around 8 to 10) and build up the desired effect by dry brushing so as to leave a patina (rather than a coat) of paint.  I find I can't get that same control with gouache which is better for coating large areas and then washing off to leave a residue in the corners and crevices.

Also I feel confident that I could repaint the underframes without problem if I wanted to, whereas I could never achieve a finish like Bachmann's if I didn't like the weathering.  With gouache it's easy to just wash the lot off with water and start again.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I may have missed this further back in the thread, but has anyone fitted Kadees to the coaches, and if so, which number? Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I may have missed this further back in the thread, but has anyone fitted Kadees to the coaches, and if so, which number? Thanks.

I fitted Number 18s to mine which closed the gap to around 2mm (from 4mm with tension locks) and still ran OK  

Which Kadees you fit depends on the curves of your layout. I keep a few of each length and try them out on stock, starting with the smallest and working up until I find the closest coupling which works.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both. I think i'll give no. 18's a go. As long as the rear face of the kadee is not further back than the buffer faces, it should go round most curves. As I have an end to end layout, there is nothing less than 2ft radius anyway.

...a D class 4-4-0 in SECR livery which would be ideal to go with the birdcage coaches. I have seen that the wish list has been suspended for October 2017 so perhaps people will vote for it next year...

I would hope it doesn't need a vote. Aesthetically possibly the finest of all UK 4-4-0s, and the start of a very successful development line that culminated in the Maunsell L1, all of them well regarded locomotives; it must surely be on the NRM's 'to do' list?

• Like 2

I would hope it doesn't need a vote. Aesthetically possibly the finest of all UK 4-4-0s, and the start of a very successful development line that culminated in the Maunsell L1, all of them well regarded locomotives; it must surely be on the NRM's 'to do' list?

Well regarded, yes .... but Maunsell did regret not having the time to redesign the L ( as L1 ) in full D1 / E1 fashion : had he done so, of course, the Schools might not have been required - who knows ?

......... anyway, while we're in speculation mode, whatever happened to the hint of "some other HUGE H Class related surprises" back in July ??!?

I agree – the four we'd then have make a great set. Perhaps we could then have a few additions to the LBSC fleet especially some suitable coaching stock.

No doubt it's been said before, but the Brighton didn't go for ( relatively ) large batches of coaches like the LSWR or SECR did - so finding vehicles that were both typical and long-lived would be problematic ................. maybe Hornmann or Bachby could introduce a set of four- or six-wheelers with an option of remounting pairs of bodies onto a bogie chassis !!?!

• RMweb Premium

...Perhaps we could then have a few additions to the LBSC fleet especially some suitable coaching stock.

Didn't the SR 'export' some ex-Brighton coaching stock to the Isle of White. Not sure if this was converted in any way from original but would increase their appeal with a longer in service range and therefore more attractive to manufacturers.