A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Robin - I 'd say that the general rule was bauxite for fitted stock and grey for unfitted, so if you acquire wagons in those liveries, you can't go far wrong. There may well have been exceptions, but I'd have said that many of those still in service would have been repainted by 1957.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I suppose it would be rude not to run it, a Castle never offends.

Hello Robin,

Any thoughts on the general quality of the new batch of Hornby Castles? Any warped footplates? Any missing bits? Does it run smoothly? Is the green significantly different to the ones you already have?

It looks VERY nice indeed in your photos. Am becoming seriously tempted by the forthcoming "Earl of St. Germans" (my period) which is due any day......

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Robin,

Any thoughts on the general quality of the new batch of Hornby Castles? Any warped footplates? Any missing bits? Does it run smoothly? Is the green significantly different to the ones you already have?

It looks VERY nice indeed in your photos. Am becoming seriously tempted by the forthcoming "Earl of St. Germans" (my period) which is due any day......

Andy.

Very good Andy. Runs very well and the Hornby green is going in the right direction but could be darker to my eyes especially as I have a Hall in Precision green to compare with.A screw link is include in the bits that was missing from the Star and the usual ski jump fallplate is easily solved with a careful tweak. It will look superb with some more customising.

post-126-0-00451100-1496491747_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-61916800-1496491760_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-85647300-1496491774_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-41536200-1496491789_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-19796000-1496491812_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Everyone loves a Castle (I might just have one on order, but it will have to be renamed to something I can pronounce), not as cute as a Small Prairie though!

Glenn - SR Modeller, sometimes GWR too ... and LMS ... and ... confused

Dryslope, no ... Dryistllewellyn, no ... Drysllwyn?, oh s0d it!: No.5070 Sir Daniel Gooch (to be) arrived this morning.

Glenn

• Like 3

Very good Andy. Runs very well and the Hornby green is going in the right direction but could be darker to my eyes especially as I have a Hall in Precision green to compare with.A screw link is include in the bits that was missing from the Star and the usual ski jump fallplate is easily solved with a careful tweak. It will look superb with some more customising.

attachicon.gifDSCN1128 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1129 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1130 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1131 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1132 (2).JPG

Ditto to what Rob said with regards to the GW green. My main disappointment is the return to 'red' lining which rather spoils the loco for me. Strange as Hornby managed to find the orange paint pot for the recent Merchant Navy Class, so they can do it ... but not this time. The usual Hornby adjustments to be done: blacken the wheel rims and buffer heads, this improves the appearance considerably and perhaps dull the pipework under the cylinders and under the cab.

Glenn

p.s. I do apologise, I've just realised I've been discussing 'railway modelling' on ANTB, I will go and stand in the naughty corner immediately until I can think of something more frivolous.

Edited by mattingleycustom
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ditto to what Rob said with regards to the GW green. My main disappointment is the return to 'red' lining which rather spoils the loco for me. Strange as Hornby managed to find the orange paint pot for the recent Merchant Navy Class, so they can do it ... but not this time. The usual Hornby adjustments to be done: blacken the wheel rims and buffer heads, this improves the appearance considerably and perhaps dull the pipework under the cylinders and under the cab.

Glenn

p.s. I do apologise, I've just realised I've been discussing 'railway modelling' on ANTB, I will go and stand in the naughty corner immediately until I can think of something more frivolous.

Not at all Glenn, lets have more of it please.How about doing a step- by - step photo sequence on how/what you change ?

Not at all Glenn, lets have more of it please.How about doing a step- by - step photo sequence on how/what you change ?

Blimey! From naughty step to teacher's pet in one mighty bound (or, perhaps, a series of small steps - photographic ones, of course).

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 1

Dryslope, no ... Dryistllewellyn, no ... Drysllwyn?, oh s0d it!: No.5070 Sir Daniel Gooch (to be) arrived this morning.

Glenn

Totally agree on that Glenn, I'm just pleased that the GWR didn't decide to name one Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch ! I'd never have ordered one :)

Yours

Dick Slexic

Planning to visit Drysllwyn Castle this summer. So if you need any detail photo's..... Can at least  check which shade of green predominates in summer....

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Ditto to what Rob said with regards to the GW green. My main disappointment is the return to 'red' lining which rather spoils the loco for me. Strange as Hornby managed to find the orange paint pot for the recent Merchant Navy Class, so they can do it ... but not this time

You're quite right Glenn - Hornby seem to have used a redder shade for the lining on both "Knight of St. Patrick" and "Drysllwyn Castle", whereas last year's "Earl of Mount Edgcumbe" was distinctly orange in comparison.

I think it is instructive to compare the photo of the real "Defiant" that Robin uploaded (Post #24651) with the photo of the model "Drysllwyn Castle". The lining on the real loco is much less vivid and more subtle compared to the model. I have yet to see a manufacturer successfully replicate that 'toned down' look to lining seen on locos that have been in service for a while.

As a bit of extra info for anyone not au fait with the history of loco 5076. It only carried the name "Dryswllyn Castle" from entry into traffic (August 1938) until January 1941 whereupon it was renamed "Gladiator". It was part of a batch of twelve "Castles" named in honour of World War II aircraft. The choice of "Gladiator" was strange however because it was a biplane that had already been made largely obsolete within the RAF by the arrival of monoplanes such as the "Spitfire" and "Hurricane".

5076 was allocated to Exeter when new into traffic. By 1947, the year wherein Robin's layout is set it was a Bristol Bath Road engine.

• Like 2